UVA Dillard v Columbia v NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me fam (Interested in public and private int law)

UVA Dillard
81%
NYU
6%
Columbia
13%

Total votes: 105

S_annora

New

Re: UVA Dillard v Columbia v NYU

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:(1) Columbia more the more eminent law school and university for international law. Hands down.

(2) "International law" means very little for an incoming student. The scholarship of the faculty in the area, the resources in moot courts, journals, clinics, centers, study abroad programs, ect., all the points where Columbia has the advantage, are only considerations at the margins. This is not a marginal case.

(3) You'd be crazy not to take the Dillard.

^^^^^this is exactly why this decision is hard for me! But seriously thank you all for the input and entertaining different ideas with me. Plus I'm super bored at work :lol:

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:55 pm

This shouldn't be "hard for you". This decision, as stated previously, is a no-brainer and has been made for you.

24 to 2 is as close to consensus as it gets on this bort. Listen to the mob!

S_annora

New

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Npret wrote:
S_annora wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:If you don't have to take out loans then... which one do you like best?

I could see myself happy at any of them honestly and I wasn't expecting to feel that way!

UVA seems like a cool place to be and it'd be awesome to get a full ride and the individualized attention that the Dillard can offer me, but if I'm committing to international law then I might be cutting myself off from the resources NYU/Columbia can give me

I like NYU's area way better than Columbia's (obviously), but I actually like the schools atmospheres equally

I can't seem to figure out if NYU actually is better for international law than Columbia, so Im doubting there even is a clear answer to that, and they are both so similarly ranked overall!

What exactly do you mean is "better for international law?" What resources does UVA (plus a mentor)lack? What are you looking for?
What international law do you want to do?

I answered some of this in a comment floating around in this thread but the resources that Columbia/NYU have that I'm referring to are clinics that focus on human rights law and externship placements at the UN and reputable NGOs (which in part I'm sure has to do with the fact that they are in NYC of course), international moot courts, professors that have been high-level foreign policy/national security/diplomacy advisors.

Not saying UVA doesn't have great resources in its own right, I guess I'm just unfamiliar with how they really stack up

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

every (T13) law school has an international human rights clinic, professors that have worked in international law, study abroad programs, international criminal court competitions, and professors that have worked at international law firms. Perhaps columbia is better because you have the chance to do international summer clerkships, but that's not a reason to throw away a Dillard.

S_annora

New

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:10 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:This shouldn't be "hard for you". This decision, as stated previously, is a no-brainer and has been made for you.

*bows to TLS group think masters*

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:14 pm

S_annora wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:This shouldn't be "hard for you". This decision, as stated previously, is a no-brainer and has been made for you.

When a forum with a well-known reputation for being "prestige obsessed" (just ask people on sites like r/lawschooladmissions) universally agrees the more prestigious school isn't justifiable given the circumstances, it should highlight how ridiculous choosing the prestige option truly is.

(When an alcoholic won't drink your beer, you know it's shitty beer.)
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:15 pm

S_annora wrote:

The way I see it, Columbia probably has an advantage also because more of its alumni are involved in international law organizations (the same would go for HArvard, Yale, et al.). Just go to UVA, work your ass off, break into international human rights, and help out the alumni network there rival Columbia.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:18 pm

S_annora wrote:

If you want to blow an unnecessary 6 figures of your parents' money, go ahead. At least you will be ahead of the people who turn down significant scholarships for 6 figures of debt. You won't be alone.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Virginia has a great international law program too. It's not like you won't have tons of opportunities there.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Virginia has a great international law program too. It's not like you won't have tons of opportunities there.

Agreed.
But OP doesn't seem to care about wasting a huge amount of money even though he isn't mega rich and wants to go to Columbia.

S_annora

New

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
S_annora wrote:

The way I see it, Columbia probably has an advantage also because more of its alumni are involved in international law organizations (the same would go for HArvard, Yale, et al.). Just go to UVA, work your ass off, break into international human rights, and help out the alumni network there rival Columbia.

I do like the sound of that :)

S_annora

New

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Npret wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Virginia has a great international law program too. It's not like you won't have tons of opportunities there.

Agreed.
But OP doesn't seem to care about wasting a huge amount of money even though he isn't mega rich and wants to go to Columbia.

I went quiet bc I had to actually do some work at my job lol not that I don't care- I was about 60% Columbia 40% UVA when I created this threat but you guys basically brought me to 50% 50%, so thank you! I think I have to go visit UVA to really give UVA a fair chance and have all my considerations on equal footing

S_annora

New

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:36 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
S_annora wrote:

When a forum with a well-known reputation for being "prestige obsessed" (just ask people on sites like r/lawschooladmissions) universally agrees the more prestigious school isn't justifiable given the circumstances, it should highlight how ridiculous choosing the prestige option truly is.

(When an alcoholic won't drink your beer, you know it's shitty beer.)

Haha very good point so thank you. You guys have brought me way closer to considering UVA, but I definitely have to visit to tip the scales

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Nebby wrote:rich parent thread

Come on dude.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Postby Po$eidon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Dillard is the obvious, easy answer here but honestly I'm pro-rich kids paying sticker. CLS is marginally better for the goals the OP has and he has the $ so my moral core says he should let someone else who wants UVA more to get that scholly money.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Postby nimbus cloud » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 pm

S_annora wrote:UVA seems like a cool place to be and it'd be awesome to get a full ride and the individualized attention that the Dillard can offer me, but if I'm

While the Dillard is a great deal financially, do not expect too much individualized attention. UVA emphasized to the recipients during the ASW that they will not be treated like special snowflakes. Thought you should keep that in mind, even though I agree with everyone that you should ultimately pick UVA.

S_annora

New

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:57 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:
S_annora wrote:UVA seems like a cool place to be and it'd be awesome to get a full ride and the individualized attention that the Dillard can offer me, but if I'm

While the Dillard is a great deal financially, do not expect too much individualized attention. UVA emphasized to the recipients during the ASW that they will not be treated like special snowflakes. Thought you should keep that in mind, even though I agree with everyone that you should ultimately pick UVA.

Got it, I wasn't expecting special-snowflake-status but I have no idea what to expect really so thanks

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:02 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:

wut? why would even a scholarship recipient expect special attention?

Po$eidon

Bronze

Postby Po$eidon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:

Some full schollys at some T14s come w/very individualized attention (Ruby, Hamilton, AnBryce)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:

Some schools have special programs restricted to named scholarship recipients (like mentorships or help with summer placement and so on).

quiver

Silver

Postby quiver » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:25 pm

S_annora wrote:
Npret wrote:

Agreed.

I went quiet bc I had to actually do some work at my job lol not that I don't care- I was about 60% Columbia 40% UVA when I created this threat but you guys basically brought me to 50% 50%, so thank you! I think I have to go visit UVA to really give UVA a fair chance and have all my considerations on equal footing
I find it slightly amusing that the near-unanimous advice of UVA pushed you from 60/40 to 50/50. You clearly want to go to CLS; just go blow a bunch of money at CLS.

(Speaking of odds, I give it an 83% chance that OP goes to CLS, "discovers" s/he likes international arbitration, and goes to a generic biglaw firm hoping to, but never actually, practicing "international law".)

For the record: I voted UVA.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:28 pm

quiver wrote:
S_annora wrote:
Npret wrote:

Agreed.

I find it slightly amusing that the near-unanimous advice of UVA pushed you from 60/40 to 50/50. You clearly want to go to CLS; just go blow a bunch of money at CLS.

(Speaking of odds, I give it an 83% chance that OP goes to CLS, "discovers" s/he likes international arbitration, and goes to a generic biglaw firm hoping to, but never actually, practicing "international law".)

I thought the very same thing.

S_annora

New

Postby S_annora » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
quiver wrote:
S_annora wrote:
Npret wrote:

Agreed.

I thought the very same thing.

10% is a lot in my book, there are tons of factors going into all of our decisions and you guys gave me some very good perspectives but of course I'm not going to do a 180 based on some ppl on the internet telling me to- I hope no one is doing that.

Also bring your random hating somewhere else man, there's no need for that.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:48 pm

When Columbia and NYU students/alumni agree that you should take the Dillard, maybe you should take the advice of "some people on the internet".

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:58 pm

If the Dillard coupled with all the advice given here only gets you to 50/50 on this decision, I'm forced to question your judgement a little bit here.

Absent a pretty significant scholarship, take UVA and ask for the $180k from your mom and dad to invest in an index fund or something.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�