BC $$ vs Fordham $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Coin-flip.

BC
6
46%
Fordham
7
54%
 
Total votes: 13

themoose90

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:07 pm

BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby themoose90 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 am

.
Last edited by themoose90 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 am

I voted for Fordham because, assuming you do well enough to get BL (which, it seems you know, is a big assumption) NYC is a lot less ties-sensitive than Boston, so you may have just the tiniest amount more wiggle room. What is your COA at UCLA or USC? No possibility of a retake? $110k COA at either of these schools isn't a terrible outcome, but it seems unnecessary to haul over to the east coast for a decade if you want Cali.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

Go where you'd most like to spend 3 years and quite possibly your whole career.

If truly equal COA though, negotiate with both and take the better deal. Both schools will probably be willing to play ball since they're peer enough.

I highly recommend living not by Fordham if you choose there though. Columbus Circle area is very expensive.

Snubbed by USC?

themoose90

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby themoose90 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

.
Last edited by themoose90 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:58 am

themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I voted for Fordham because, assuming you do well enough to get BL (which, it seems you know, is a big assumption) NYC is a lot less ties-sensitive than Boston, so you may have just the tiniest amount more wiggle room. What is your COA at UCLA or USC? No possibility of a retake? $110k COA at either of these schools isn't a terrible outcome, but it seems unnecessary to haul over to the east coast for a decade if you want Cali.


I've been nomadic these past 2-3 years since college and currently living in DMV area for work. I have thought about retaking again in June but at this point I'm hesitant on waiting another year. I value time more than money. You can always get more money but not more time. Got rejected at USC and at UCI (which I find especially funny).


this is a straw man argument. retaking doesn't mean sitting around not doing anything for a year wasting time. Like you said, you are currently living and working. You can continue to live and work, do shit, etc, while you are not going to law school for a year. If you don't want to, that's fine, but you can't say its because you'd be wasting time (if you would be wasting time, that's your fault and since you don't like wasting time, I would assume you wouldn't be wasting time, so I don't know...).

themoose90

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby themoose90 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am

.
Last edited by themoose90 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1356
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:09 am

themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I voted for Fordham because, assuming you do well enough to get BL (which, it seems you know, is a big assumption) NYC is a lot less ties-sensitive than Boston, so you may have just the tiniest amount more wiggle room. What is your COA at UCLA or USC? No possibility of a retake? $110k COA at either of these schools isn't a terrible outcome, but it seems unnecessary to haul over to the east coast for a decade if you want Cali.


I've been nomadic these past 2-3 years since college and currently living in DMV area for work. I have thought about retaking again in June but at this point I'm hesitant on waiting another year. I value time more than money. You can always get more money but not more time. Got rejected at USC and at UCI (which I find especially funny).


this is a straw man argument. retaking doesn't mean sitting around not doing anything for a year wasting time. Like you said, you are currently living and working. You can continue to live and work, do shit, etc, while you are not going to law school for a year. If you don't want to, that's fine, but you can't say its because you'd be wasting time (if you would be wasting time, that's your fault and since you don't like wasting time, I would assume you wouldn't be wasting time, so I don't know...).


I don't want to divulge too much personal details but in my case, it would be waste in the greater scheme of things. Everyone's different.

How much do you want biglaw? Don't know your numbers but retaking for a better school could give you better odds at biglaw.
What is your plan if you don't get big law?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 am

themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I voted for Fordham because, assuming you do well enough to get BL (which, it seems you know, is a big assumption) NYC is a lot less ties-sensitive than Boston, so you may have just the tiniest amount more wiggle room. What is your COA at UCLA or USC? No possibility of a retake? $110k COA at either of these schools isn't a terrible outcome, but it seems unnecessary to haul over to the east coast for a decade if you want Cali.


I've been nomadic these past 2-3 years since college and currently living in DMV area for work. I have thought about retaking again in June but at this point I'm hesitant on waiting another year. I value time more than money. You can always get more money but not more time. Got rejected at USC and at UCI (which I find especially funny).


this is a straw man argument. retaking doesn't mean sitting around not doing anything for a year wasting time. Like you said, you are currently living and working. You can continue to live and work, do shit, etc, while you are not going to law school for a year. If you don't want to, that's fine, but you can't say its because you'd be wasting time (if you would be wasting time, that's your fault and since you don't like wasting time, I would assume you wouldn't be wasting time, so I don't know...).


I don't want to divulge too much personal details but in my case, it would be waste in the greater scheme of things. Everyone's different.


I don't believe you, but good luck.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:46 am

themoose90 wrote:I don't want to divulge too much personal details but in my case, it would be waste in the greater scheme of things. Everyone's different.


Actually, people are all pretty much the same. The only instance I've come across where someone had legitimate reasons for not being able to retake, those same reasons made going to law school and a legal career almost an impossibility. Other than that, every single person who says that retaking would be a waste of their time and money is lying to themselves in order to justify a bad choice.

helpmedecide222

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby helpmedecide222 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:26 pm

BC hands down. Better employment numbers. Strong ties to Boston. As someone else has said NY is easier to break into than Boston. But also think, if you want biglaw and want that salary, wouldn't it be nice to keep it? NY rent, taxes, everything is more expensive.

themoose90

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby themoose90 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Npret wrote:
themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I voted for Fordham because, assuming you do well enough to get BL (which, it seems you know, is a big assumption) NYC is a lot less ties-sensitive than Boston, so you may have just the tiniest amount more wiggle room. What is your COA at UCLA or USC? No possibility of a retake? $110k COA at either of these schools isn't a terrible outcome, but it seems unnecessary to haul over to the east coast for a decade if you want Cali.


I've been nomadic these past 2-3 years since college and currently living in DMV area for work. I have thought about retaking again in June but at this point I'm hesitant on waiting another year. I value time more than money. You can always get more money but not more time. Got rejected at USC and at UCI (which I find especially funny).


this is a straw man argument. retaking doesn't mean sitting around not doing anything for a year wasting time. Like you said, you are currently living and working. You can continue to live and work, do shit, etc, while you are not going to law school for a year. If you don't want to, that's fine, but you can't say its because you'd be wasting time (if you would be wasting time, that's your fault and since you don't like wasting time, I would assume you wouldn't be wasting time, so I don't know...).


I don't want to divulge too much personal details but in my case, it would be waste in the greater scheme of things. Everyone's different.

How much do you want biglaw? Don't know your numbers but retaking for a better school could give you better odds at biglaw.
What is your plan if you don't get big law?
Last edited by themoose90 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
existentialcrisis

Bronze
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: BC $$ vs Fordham $$

Postby existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Npret wrote:
themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
themoose90 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I voted for Fordham because, assuming you do well enough to get BL (which, it seems you know, is a big assumption) NYC is a lot less ties-sensitive than Boston, so you may have just the tiniest amount more wiggle room. What is your COA at UCLA or USC? No possibility of a retake? $110k COA at either of these schools isn't a terrible outcome, but it seems unnecessary to haul over to the east coast for a decade if you want Cali.


I've been nomadic these past 2-3 years since college and currently living in DMV area for work. I have thought about retaking again in June but at this point I'm hesitant on waiting another year. I value time more than money. You can always get more money but not more time. Got rejected at USC and at UCI (which I find especially funny).


this is a straw man argument. retaking doesn't mean sitting around not doing anything for a year wasting time. Like you said, you are currently living and working. You can continue to live and work, do shit, etc, while you are not going to law school for a year. If you don't want to, that's fine, but you can't say its because you'd be wasting time (if you would be wasting time, that's your fault and since you don't like wasting time, I would assume you wouldn't be wasting time, so I don't know...).


I don't want to divulge too much personal details but in my case, it would be waste in the greater scheme of things. Everyone's different.

What is your plan if you don't get big law?


This is the most important question. I don't think going to either of these schools biglaw or bust (which it sounds like you are) is ever a good decision. If you're comfortable with the more likely outcomes from these school's then it's an entirely different matter.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests