UMKC vs Mizzou vs UIUC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Go to UMKC
8%
Go to Mizzou
25%
Go to UIUC
42%
Go literally anywhere else than those three
25%

Total votes: 12

parisa5

New

UMKC vs Mizzou vs UIUC

Postby parisa5 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:09 am

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I really need some advice. I'm from Missouri (Kansas City), and I'm open to practicing either in Missouri or Illinois (Chicago or close; I did my undergrad in Chicago). My decision used to be between just Mizzou and UIUC. UMKC offered me a full-ride, but I don't want to stay in Kansas City for the rest of the foreseeable future so I planned to withdraw. But then they offered me a walk-on position to Law Review.

I don't know if it's just me, but that seems pretty tempting.

I wouldn't have to take out any loan for UMKC, because I'd live with my parents and, if they got sick of me being at home, they offered to loan me money to rent an apartment. Also, I grew up in Kansas City so I have pretty strong ties to the area.

Mizzou is offering me $51,000 over 3 years (as long as I stay in the top 50%). That's 17,000 a year, and I would pay instate tuition (about $20,000). I will have to take out loans and my parents would support me, as well (maybe between $2,000 - $5,000).

UIUC is offering me $15,000/year unconditionally. Tuition is $45,000. The estimated COA on their website for out-of-state students is $67,739. They're also pretty upfront that it's impossible for out-of-state students to claim residency even after a year. Same as Mizzou, I would have parental support and to take out loans.

For career goals, ultimately I want to do public interest but I am open to biglaw or midlaw, as well.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm overthinking it or just not thinking it over enough. Is it crazy to turn down UMKC? Should I just suck it up and go. I'd just love some new perspective.

[For what its worth, I do have student loans from grad school and I am waitlisted from higher ranked schools (although I think it'd be at sticker price).]
Last edited by parisa5 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: UMKC vs Mizzou vs UIUC

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:41 am

If you don't want to stay in KC for the foreseeable future, then you can't go to UMKC. I'm also extremely skeptical of a school that offers you a "walk-on" law review spot. UIUC is way too expensive.

What kind of PI are you thinking about? And what are your stats?

At this point, I'd vote Mizzou, as long as you want to continue to work in Missouri after school.

parisa5

New

Postby parisa5 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:58 am

My stats aren't good. I have a 3.5 from UChicago and my highest on the LSAT was 158. Retaking the LSAT isn't an option, because I've already taken it twice (I know...) I have pretty decent softs (Masters, internships, multilingual).

Right now I'm thinking PI areas of children's rights, education, disability rights.

Also, I'm really glad to find someone who's skeptical of a "walk-on" to law review.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:01 am

As long as you know of some local organizations in MO that do that work, then go with Mizzou if they drop the stipulation (missed that somehow the first time reading).

If you can't get Mizzou to drop the stipulation, then retake (you have at least one retake available, depending on when you took your first LSAT) and reapply.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am

You only took the LSAT twice. You went to UChicago, obviously you aren't dumb and you were good enough at the SAT/ACT to get in. Take time off, work and retake. Especially since your masters or undergrad is not paid off. You don't want to add more debt!

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am

It sounds like you don't understand what "isn't an option" means, because nothing you've said forecloses the possibility of a retake outside of the fact that you seemingly do not want to.

Imo paying that much money for uiuc would be a mistake. You could get a full ride there with a little improvement.

parisa5

New

Postby parisa5 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:37 am

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the responses.

I know I could take some time off and take the LSAT again. Yeah I don't want to, but I'm sure I could just suck it up and do it. I'm more worried that I won't be able to break 160. I gave my highest score first. The first time I took it, after studying on my own and a prep class, I got a 158. Second time, with more prep, I got a 156. Illegitimate fear or not, I don't want to risk a lower score.

I negotiated with UIUC for an increased scholarship, but they turned me down. I can negotiate for Mizzou to drop the stipulation.

Can I assume that even with the law review "walk-on" I should drop UMKC?

(And please no suggestions that I'm just not cut out for law school.)

parisa5

New

Postby parisa5 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 am

I added a poll, in case anyone's interested.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:10 am

parisa5 wrote:Hi everyone, thanks so much for the responses.

I know I could take some time off and take the LSAT again. Yeah I don't want to, but I'm sure I could just suck it up and do it. I'm more worried that I won't be able to break 160. I gave my highest score first. The first time I took it, after studying on my own and a prep class, I got a 158. Second time, with more prep, I got a 156. Illegitimate fear or not, I don't want to risk a lower score.

I negotiated with UIUC for an increased scholarship, but they turned me down. I can negotiate for Mizzou to drop the stipulation.

Can I assume that even with the law review "walk-on" I should drop UMKC?

(And please no suggestions that I'm just not cut out for law school.)

How did you study last time? That is rough that your last attempt didn't go as planned. However, none of your options right now are particularly good ones. There is nothing wrong with going to those schools, but the price is wrong and you have said big/midlaw is a possible goal of yours, which will not happen from them.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:44 am

Hell, because of the law review "walk-on", you should drop UKMC. That's an absurd practice.

But yes, you should adjust your study habits and retake. Mizzou or UIUC would both be ok schools for your goals, but you can't pay that much for them.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 am

Please don't low-ball yourself and not take advantage of that solid GPA from UChicago.

FYI: I took the LSAT 3 times. Scored 8 points higher after studying with 7Sage and doing every single preptest than I did on my first try (did a course). Sure, everyone's different but sometimes just completing a course isn't enough.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:26 pm

You'll probably get some hyperbole about how these are LIFE RUINING decisions, but in my opinion, either Missouri or Illinois would be fine, even if it'd be ideal if they were a bit cheaper. Keep in mind that COL will be extremely cheap in either of those college towns. We're talking like under $600 a month in rent, with the possibility of only locking into 9 month leases. If you can sit out then I'd do that, but if you go, I don't think you're in a bad spot.

Ronan

Gold

Postby Ronan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm

You should try to get Mizzou to drop that 50% stipulation on your scholarship--I know it's easy to think you will end up in the top-half, but you honestly never know. Negotiate with them using UIUC's "in good standing" stipulation and see what happens.

Obviously a retake is enticing, but Mizzou wouldn't be a life-shattering choice here

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:24 pm

What are the employment stats like coming from UMKC? Just out of curiosity.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:54 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Hell, because of the law review "walk-on", you should drop UKMC. That's an absurd practice.

But yes, you should adjust your study habits and retake. Mizzou or UIUC would both be ok schools for your goals, but you can't pay that much for them.

That's what I was going to say. Walking onto law review is a huge red flag

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:10 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Hell, because of the law review "walk-on", you should drop UKMC. That's an absurd practice.

This. You have a 3.5 from UChicago, just get a few more questions on the LSAT correct and you'll get a full ride at UIUC

Npret

Gold

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:21 pm

How much debt do you have already?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�