lilitiger99 wrote:Mullens wrote:UVA2B wrote:Mullens wrote:I would try to get money from other places with your Cornell offer, ride the waitlists into the summer and see if you can get money with an acceptance (as a female URM you're in the best place for this to happen), and go to Cornell if all of that fails. Not a bad place to be.
I don't disagree with the riding the waitlists into the summer, trying to negotiate scholarships, etc., but with the generic NYC Biglaw goals mentioned and the SO paying his NFL paychecks toward her education, I'm not sure there's ever going to be an objectively better offer on the table than Cornell with that scholarship. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's pretty unlikely (FTR, I don't think Columbia at sticker or even small discount is better than Cornell with a big scholarship for NYC Biglaw, so we might just differ on that) anything comes up that is a better place to be than Cornell in these circumstances.
Probably a pointless debate not worth having, but I'd be hard-pressed to find a better offer that will come through waitlists and negotiation than Cornell in this specific situation.
I mean idk the odds of a better offer coming but it's better than 0% so might as well ride the waitlists.
I was going to withdraw all but H, Columbia, & Nyu if I get WL, and then honestly just send the deposit to Cornell, and withdraw the rest. I'm hoping on getting SEO and having that be my boost into big law. I have been trying to negotiate for a while, but have been unsuccessful.
Also, I am half Hispanic, (PR), which is why I think my scholarships are non-existent - less desirable compared to other URM groups.
There's no downside to riding the waitlists and you shouldn't withdraw from any waitlist because there is at least some possibility of some upside. I know someone with a similar profile to you that got offered $120k off the UVA waitlist a few years ago and was able to leverage that into a full-ride at a different T-14 (that she was going to attend on a lower scholarship) in literally less than 30 minutes. Why would you withdraw from the waitlists at UVA and Northwestern?