URM, T13/GUCL/BU/VANDY/noretake Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lilitiger99

Bronze

URM, T13/GUCL/BU/VANDY/noretake

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Last edited by lilitiger99 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: URM, T13/GUCL/BU/VANDY/noretake

Post by floatie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Cornell is the best choice here.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Also +1 vote for Cornell.

Cornell has outstanding placement into NYC so it makes even more sense for you.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Cornell.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Assuming debt-financed, that's still a lot of money for Cornell, but your debt-aversion might be different than mine. Cornell is the best option for your goals, but that's still a hefty price tag even with the tuition discount.

ETA: Missed the part about SO ponying up serious cash, so Cornell is the easy choice here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Come to Cornell. Since your SO is ponying up dat ca$h, you will get a lot of bang for your buck since our employment stats are superior to a lot of the other T13s.

PS invest in a nice jacket or coat, and congrats!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Also would like to point out that your SO is a true keeper. My own parents wouldn't drop $150k for my law school even if they had it lol

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:Would I be crazy to choose Cornell over the other schools?
Why would you think this? None of the other T13 schools are worth > $70,000 more than Cornell for NYC biglaw, and the full-ride schools definitely don't have the same placement power. Don't think it would be crazy at all, especially if your SO is making sure you don't graduate with a ton of (or any) debt.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Why would you think this? None of the other T13 schools are worth > $70,000 more than Cornell for NYC biglaw, and the full-ride schools definitely don't have the same placement power. Don't think it would be crazy at all, especially if your SO is making sure you don't graduate with a ton of (or any) debt.
Some of the TLS wisdom I've seen and people I've spoken to are set on higher ranking being the "best" choice. I'm not sure of how much these rankings actually matter, but still.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Also would like to point out that your SO is a true keeper. My own parents wouldn't drop $150k for my law school even if they had it lol
Last edited by lilitiger99 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Come to Cornell. Since your SO is ponying up dat ca$h, you will get a lot of bang for your buck since our employment stats are superior to a lot of the other T13s.

Haha thanks! Can I PM you regarding more info re: Cornell, student life, etc.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Also would like to point out that your SO is a true keeper. My own parents wouldn't drop $150k for my law school even if they had it lol
Haha my parents wouldn't either. I've worked for the past 3 years and more or less supported him and myself while we were both in school. When he made it big (professional sports) things switched up.

Thanks for the insight too. I felt a little iffy for some reason based on rankings, but outside the TLS bubble I guess it doesn't matter.
WHAT?!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:19 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Come to Cornell. Since your SO is ponying up dat ca$h, you will get a lot of bang for your buck since our employment stats are superior to a lot of the other T13s.

Haha thanks! Can I PM you regarding more info re: Cornell, student life, etc.
Sure, dude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:19 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Some of the TLS wisdom I've seen and people I've spoken to are set on higher ranking being the "best" choice. I'm not sure of how much these rankings actually matter, but still.
TLS wisdom is that employment numbers matter more than anything else, and USNWR rankings are meaningless except for the fact that the T13 in USNWR happen to have much better employment numbers / national reach. Within the T13, there's going to be little difference, although HYS will always be on a slightly higher level. So no, higher ranking isn't the "best." Paying 70K more for Chicago here would make no sense.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Also, stop going by the ranking. Go by Law School Transparency's employment statistics. If you really need a ranked list, then go by ATL's Law School Ranking, which reflects employments a lot more accurately. Prestige does not matter as much as outcomes do.

ETA: scooped by the Oracle.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Lavitz wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
TLS wisdom is that employment numbers matter more than anything else, and USNWR rankings are meaningless except for the fact that the T13 in USNWR happen to have much better employment numbers / national reach. Within the T13, there's going to be little difference, although HYS will always be on a slightly higher level. So no, higher ranking isn't the "best." Paying 70K more for Chicago here would make no sense.
I don't know any lawyers at all (none in my immediate family, friends, etc.), so I was unsure of how things work really. This site has been amazing for a lot of things, but given me pause re: rankings. I wasn't sure if Chicago was THAT Much better than Cornell, so thanks for this. Helps me feel better about my choice

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Also, stop going by the ranking. Go by Law School Transparency's employment statistics. If you really need a ranked list, then go by ATL's Law School Ranking, which reflects employments a lot more accurately. Prestige does not matter as much as outcomes do.

Do you know why Columbia is ranked so much lower on the ATL? Just wondering, wasn't aware of their ranking system and just saw now

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Also, stop going by the ranking. Go by Law School Transparency's employment statistics. If you really need a ranked list, then go by ATL's Law School Ranking, which reflects employments a lot more accurately. Prestige does not matter as much as outcomes do.

Do you know why Columbia is ranked so much lower on the ATL? Just wondering, wasn't aware of their ranking system and just saw now
Possibly because cost of attendance is 15% of the ranking and Columbia's got to be the most expensive school. Some other random factors may play into it like "alumni rating." I wouldn't even bother with the ATL rankings either. I think Pragmatic had it right when he said to just look at the stats on LST.
Pragmatic Gun wrote:ETA: scooped by the Oracle.
:wink:

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
Haha my parents wouldn't either. I've worked for the past 3 years and more or less supported him and myself while we were both in school. When he made it big (professional sports) things switched up.

Thanks for the insight too. I felt a little iffy for some reason based on rankings, but outside the TLS bubble I guess it doesn't matter.
WHAT?!
Last edited by lilitiger99 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:55 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:

WHAT?!
Haha don't want to really out myself or seem too obnoxious to my future classmates - but we went to a PAC 12 school together, and he was drafted to the NFL last year. Basically made a commitment along the way that regardless of anything that happened, he would invest in my education. Definitely lucky, and definitely been a hard road haha.
Thats insane! Well, congrats to him and congrats to you on all of your acceptances!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:58 pm

I would try to get money from other places with your Cornell offer, ride the waitlists into the summer and see if you can get money with an acceptance (as a female URM you're in the best place for this to happen), and go to Cornell if all of that fails. Not a bad place to be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Mullens wrote:I would try to get money from other places with your Cornell offer, ride the waitlists into the summer and see if you can get money with an acceptance (as a female URM you're in the best place for this to happen), and go to Cornell if all of that fails. Not a bad place to be.
I don't disagree with the riding the waitlists into the summer, trying to negotiate scholarships, etc., but with the generic NYC Biglaw goals mentioned and the SO paying his NFL paychecks toward her education, I'm not sure there's ever going to be an objectively better offer on the table than Cornell with that scholarship. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's pretty unlikely (FTR, I don't think Columbia at sticker or even small discount is better than Cornell with a big scholarship for NYC Biglaw, so we might just differ on that) anything comes up that is a better place to be than Cornell in these circumstances.

Probably a pointless debate not worth having, but I'd be hard-pressed to find a better offer that will come through waitlists and negotiation than Cornell in this specific situation.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:08 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Mullens wrote:I would try to get money from other places with your Cornell offer, ride the waitlists into the summer and see if you can get money with an acceptance (as a female URM you're in the best place for this to happen), and go to Cornell if all of that fails. Not a bad place to be.
I don't disagree with the riding the waitlists into the summer, trying to negotiate scholarships, etc., but with the generic NYC Biglaw goals mentioned and the SO paying his NFL paychecks toward her education, I'm not sure there's ever going to be an objectively better offer on the table than Cornell with that scholarship. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's pretty unlikely (FTR, I don't think Columbia at sticker or even small discount is better than Cornell with a big scholarship for NYC Biglaw, so we might just differ on that) anything comes up that is a better place to be than Cornell in these circumstances.

Probably a pointless debate not worth having, but I'd be hard-pressed to find a better offer that will come through waitlists and negotiation than Cornell in this specific situation.
I mean idk the odds of a better offer coming but it's better than 0% so might as well ride the waitlists.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:

WHAT?!
Haha don't want to really out myself or seem too obnoxious to my future classmates - but we went to a PAC 12 school together, and he was drafted to the NFL last year. Basically made a commitment along the way that regardless of anything that happened, he would invest in my education. Definitely lucky, and definitely been a hard road haha.
Thats insane! Well, congrats to him and congrats to you on all of your acceptances!

Thanks, good luck to you as well in your cycle and thanks for the input :D

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 pm

Mullens wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

I mean idk the odds of a better offer coming but it's better than 0% so might as well ride the waitlists.
I was going to withdraw all but H, Columbia, & Nyu if I get WL, and then honestly just send the deposit to Cornell, and withdraw the rest. I'm hoping on getting SEO and having that be my boost into big law. I have been trying to negotiate for a while, but have been unsuccessful.

Also, I am half Hispanic, (PR), which is why I think my scholarships are non-existent - less desirable compared to other URM groups.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”