UCLA or Berkeley

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zubizu100

New

UCLA or Berkeley

Postby zubizu100 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm choosing between UCLA and Berkeley at this point.

COA
Berkeley: 210k
UCLA: 165k

LSAT: 168, GPA 3.4x

I want to go into international public interest work, and UCLA has the faculty and price, and Berkeley has the name. Berkeley might also have a better LRAP, if anyone knows more about this I'd love to know. I really like that UCLA has a CRS department as well that overlaps with the professors in international law.

Before you go into all the reasons my career won't work out, I've worked (not interned, not volunteered, worked) in sub-Saharan Africa, speak 4 languages including French, and have a network in ny field already. So I appreciate your concern but I know the risks/concerns/success factors.

Any thoughts? I feel like I change my mind every day.

curry1

Silver

Re: UCLA or Berkeley

Postby curry1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:32 pm

zubizu100 wrote:Hi all,

COA

I want to go into international public interest work, and UCLA has the faculty and price, and Berkeley has the name. Berkeley might also have a better LRAP, if anyone knows more about this I'd love to know. I really like that UCLA has a CRS department as well that overlaps with the professors in international law.

Before you go into all the reasons my career won't work out, I've worked (not interned, not volunteered, worked) in sub-Saharan Africa, speak 4 languages including French, and have a network in ny field already. So I appreciate your concern but I know the risks/concerns/success factors.

berkeley

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Berkeley, as long as you've actually considered your repayment plan under their LRAP (and the potential pitfalls of relying on PSLF, if their program does).

LHS17

Bronze

Postby LHS17 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:37 pm

zubizu100 wrote:Hi all,

COA

What was your major? I might be interested in the Berkeley grading system given your 3.4 undergrad, but I have no idea what public interest jobs value there.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:40 pm

LHS17 wrote:What was your major? I might be interested in the Berkeley grading system given your 3.4 undergrad, but I have no idea what public interest jobs value there.

Undergrad GPA has a very, very low correlation with law school GPA. That shouldn't even factor in to this decision.

zubizu100

New

Postby zubizu100 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Yeah, I think my ugpa won't really be reflective, as:

1. I was working part time, interning part time, and going to school full time
2. My school had grade deflation
3. It was 10 years ago

LHS17

Bronze

Postby LHS17 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:48 pm

zubizu100 wrote:Yeah, I think my ugpa won't really be reflective, as:

3. It was 10 years ago

I think my point was more that, regardless of the reasons for the GPA, I'd probably go for the Berkeley name and grading system over UCLA. To the extent your intended career path doesn't work out, you theoretically have a better cushion with national reach.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm

I'd go Berkeley. Really get to know the LRAP and talk to someone at the school if you don't get it though.

One potential concern might be debt relief for non-PLSF eligible jobs (international stuff). Talk to the schools and see if you would even qualify if you landed your dream job.

zubizu100

New

Postby zubizu100 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:47 am

LHS17 wrote:
zubizu100 wrote:Yeah, I think my ugpa won't really be reflective, as:

3. It was 10 years ago

I think my point was more that, regardless of the reasons for the GPA, I'd probably go for the Berkeley name and grading system over UCLA. To the extent your intended career path doesn't work out, you theoretically have a better cushion with national reach.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm leaning more towards Berkeley right now. Thanks for the advice so far!

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:05 am

Berkeley LRAP is spelled it on the website but you definitely need to talk to them.
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... e-program/

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... 13-beyond/

They even have a PowerPoint:

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/wp-content ... slides.pdf

But still talk to them to really understand how the program will work in your expected career. You have to be a lawyer or substantially like a lawyer, at a 50(c)(3) or government,be on IBR and PSLF. After $65,000 gross income they reduce and you get nothing after $100,000. If married to someone who makes more than you they count your income as half.

You have to apply with 3.5 years of graduation.

Also, see what they do if PSLF goes away as mentioned.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 am

I agree berkeley

Return to “Choosing a Law School�