UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
TakeItToTrial

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby TakeItToTrial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm currently deciding between University of Washington at 72K (unconditional) and Oregon on a full scholarship (conditional on top 50%) with the possibility of a 5K stipend. I will be financing law school (including COL) using savings earned during my two gap years and with support from my family. I am not BL or bust, but I might be tempted to give it a try if I had the opportunity. I see myself starting my career as a public defender or as a litigator in private practice. My ultimate goal is to start my own civil litigation firm.

I have some ties to the PNW legal community. I've worked at a mid-sized Seattle ID firm for almost two years. My dad is a 20-year partner at a boutique lit firm in Portland and an Oregon Law alumnus (He has been nudging me towards Oregon).

LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.5

I am leaning towards UW, and will be sending a negotiation email this week. I would love to get some TLS advice. Am I thinking about this correctly? Is there a certain price point where UW becomes worth it?

I've also been accepted at ASU and UC Davis and Waitlisted at USC.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm

I think it depends partly on how much your father's connections will help you in Portland. If he could help you get a job at his firm, for instance, I think Oregon could be a good, no-debt option. Otherwise, I think UW is the best option here, because it's a superior school, and because UW has cheap in-state tuition anyway -30k a year if I remember- so 72k unconditional scholarship isn't bad.

User avatar
TakeItToTrial

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby TakeItToTrial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I think it depends partly on how much your father's connections will help you in Portland. If he could help you get a job at his firm, for instance, I think Oregon could be a good, no-debt option. Otherwise, I think UW is the best option here, because it's a superior school, and because UW has cheap in-state tuition anyway -30k a year if I remember- so 72k unconditional scholarship isn't bad.


He could probably get me an associate gig. But he's advising me to do 2-3 years as a prosecutor/pd in order to get courtroom experience. Also, to clarify, the 72K at UW is the cost of tuition, not the size of the scholarship. I'll have no debt with either option, however.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby grades?? » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

You need to get rid of that Oregon stipulation. Do not attend with that stipulation. I am willing to bet they section stack.

BobBoblaw

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby BobBoblaw » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

I think you might be able to make an argument for OR IF you got that top 50 stipulation removed. Imo, is go UW, much better regional pull and could be cheaper or only marginally more expensive if you end up losing your scholly at Oregon 2l or 3l

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Yeah, don't take any school insisting on a stipulation like that.

Edit: Oregon's 509 says they don't do conditional scholarships. Are you sure you read the offer letter correctly?

User avatar
TakeItToTrial

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby TakeItToTrial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:51 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, don't take any school insisting on a stipulation like that.

Edit: Oregon's 509 says they don't do conditional scholarships. Are you sure you read the offer letter correctly?


They have a new dean, and I think this is the first year they are offering them.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:52 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, don't take any school insisting on a stipulation like that.

Edit: Oregon's 509 says they don't do conditional scholarships. Are you sure you read the offer letter correctly?


They have a new dean, and I think this is the first year they are offering them.


Oh, then tell their new dean that it's a bullshit practice that you won't be taking part in. Just more diplomatically.

User avatar
TakeItToTrial

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby TakeItToTrial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:I think you might be able to make an argument for OR IF you got that top 50 stipulation removed. Imo, is go UW, much better regional pull and could be cheaper or only marginally more expensive if you end up losing your scholly at Oregon 2l or 3l


Thanks for the advice. I'll send an email to Oregon and ask if they'll remove the stipulation. If they do, would you say it's a better deal?

I've also heard there are scholarship opportunities at UW for rising 2Ls and 3Ls.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby guynourmin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, don't take any school insisting on a stipulation like that.

Edit: Oregon's 509 says they don't do conditional scholarships. Are you sure you read the offer letter correctly?


They have a new dean, and I think this is the first year they are offering them.


Oh, then tell their new dean that it's a bullshit practice that you won't be taking part in. Just more diplomatically.


definitely do this. Introducing conditional scholarships in 2017 with insane stips - top half of a stacked section - fuck you.

User avatar
TakeItToTrial

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby TakeItToTrial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:38 pm

grades?? wrote:You need to get rid of that Oregon stipulation. Do not attend with that stipulation. I am willing to bet they section stack.


I asked about section stacking at the ASW, and they vehemently denied doing so. That being said, if this is the first year they're offering conditional scholarships, it could also be the first year they stack the sections.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Get rid of that stip and definitely negotiate with UW (a few times if need be) because your LSAT pretty good for them despite being sort of a splitter.

Do you want to practice in Oregon or Washington? If Washington or you're not sure, I'd go UW.

I'd probably go UW anyways if no debt either way. What's up with L&C?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:02 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
grades?? wrote:You need to get rid of that Oregon stipulation. Do not attend with that stipulation. I am willing to bet they section stack.

I asked about section stacking at the ASW, and they vehemently denied doing so. That being said, if this is the first year they're offering conditional scholarships, it could also be the first year they stack the sections.

Of course they'd say that. It's also easy to say we don't do that if it's the first class with stips.
Shady shady Oregon.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby grades?? » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Rigo wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
grades?? wrote:You need to get rid of that Oregon stipulation. Do not attend with that stipulation. I am willing to bet they section stack.

I asked about section stacking at the ASW, and they vehemently denied doing so. That being said, if this is the first year they're offering conditional scholarships, it could also be the first year they stack the sections.

Of course they'd say that. It's also easy to say we don't do that if it's the first class with stips.
Shady shady Oregon.


Any time there are stipulations, its probable there will be section stacking. If O is now doing this with scholarships, run the fuck away. Deposit at UW and tell the O dean the only reason you aren't attending is because you will not go to a law school dealing in shady practices like this.

Go to UW, ez decision

Redfactor

Bronze
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby Redfactor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:49 pm

That stip is bad.

If you want OR and can remove that stip, then UO.

If you want WA or UO's stipulation remains, then UW.

User avatar
TakeItToTrial

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby TakeItToTrial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Rigo wrote:Get rid of that stip and definitely negotiate with UW (a few times if need be) because your LSAT pretty good for them despite being sort of a splitter.

Do you want to practice in Oregon or Washington? If Washington or you're not sure, I'd go UW.

I'd probably go UW anyways if no debt either way. What's up with L&C?


I'm not sure about where I want to practice. I love Portland, but Seattle is great, too, and it's a bigger market.

I was going to apply to L&C, but once I got the full to Oregon, I didn't bother.

I'm thinking negotiate with UW and try to get a scholly bump.

BobBoblaw

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby BobBoblaw » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:25 pm

UW is a bit... special with how they do financial aid. I would not count on being able to negotiate them up, but good luck. I think Id take UW either way, frankly.

User avatar
Capt_Beatty

Bronze
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby Capt_Beatty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:58 pm

This post got me reading all about section stacking. Is *good academic standing still an example of section stacking? or is top/above such and such percentage section stacking?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UW ($) vs. Oregon ($$$) Your thoughts?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:This post got me reading all about section stacking. Is *good academic standing still an example of section stacking? or is top/above such and such percentage section stacking?


"Good academic standing" just means you aren't failing out at most places. If you're concerned about conditional scholarships, just check the school's 509 report. They're required to report conditional scholarships and how many students keep them.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests