(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA vs Michigan

UVA
58%
Michigan
42%

Total votes: 26

Law2020!

New

Postby Law2020! » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Last edited by Law2020! on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: UVA vs Michigan

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:16 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=275679&p=9878576#p9878576
Nothing seems to have changed since your last thead other than taking NYU out of the mix, so I'll still go with UVA because of clerking and the fact that you have actually visited.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Rigo wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=275679&p=9878576#p9878576
Nothing seems to have changed since your last thead other than taking NYU out of the mix, so I'll still go with UVA because of clerking and the fact that you have actually visited.

was just about to say...

also seems like you have already decided you like UVA and dont want Ann Arbor. I am a bit curious why you don't have CU in the mix if your end game is Colorado (presumably you would have a much cheaper education and could put your family's money towards something else)

Law2020!

New

Postby Law2020! » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Last edited by Law2020! on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Can't speak for UVA since I have not visited there, but I went to AA last week and absolutely loved it. Since you are looking for a change of perspective already, why not try living in a different environment. I admit the cold is no joke but I do believe the town and the people would make up for it.
Umich provides a huge amount of support for students interested in clerkships. They have three faculty members and several staffs dedicated to getting students the clerkship they want and they would go to great length (pull personal strings et al.) to make sure that they get there.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:59 pm

XUMickeal wrote:Can't speak for UVA since I have not visited there, but I went to AA last week and absolutely loved it. Since you are looking for a change of perspective already, why not try living in a different environment. I admit the cold is no joke but I do believe the town and the people would make up for it.
Umich provides a huge amount of support for students interested in clerkships. They have three faculty members and several staffs dedicated to getting students the clerkship they want and they would go to great length (pull personal strings et al.) to make sure that they get there.

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/michigan/uva/

Numbers don't lie re: support for federal clerkships, IIRC. 16% vs. 10%. Picking a school strictly based on federal clerkship placement is short-sighted to begin with, but in no way is Michigan the better call if you're picking based on getting federal clerkships.

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:16 pm

UVA2B wrote:
XUMickeal wrote:Can't speak for UVA since I have not visited there, but I went to AA last week and absolutely loved it. Since you are looking for a change of perspective already, why not try living in a different environment. I admit the cold is no joke but I do believe the town and the people would make up for it.

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/michigan/uva/

Numbers don't lie re: support for federal clerkships, IIRC. 16% vs. 10%. Picking a school strictly based on federal clerkship placement is short-sighted to begin with, but in no way is Michigan the better call if you're picking based on getting federal clerkships.

I respectively disagree that the percentage of grads landing federal clerkships is reflective of the amount of support they received in the process. There could be other factors at play, e.g. self-selection (I know I know). But I do agree that UVA seems to be a better choice based on numbers and the quality of clerkships available to UVA grads might be higher than those to Mich grads. :D

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:19 pm

OP can you just go visit Ann Arbor already? Why are you dragging your feet on this?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Postby herecomesthesun » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Yeah, i don't know why you wouldn't visit...I wasn't sold on A2 initially but I love it now

Law2020!

New

Postby Law2020! » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Last edited by Law2020! on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Law2020! wrote:I am hesitating to visit, because I don't think Michigan has anything more to offer me academically than does UVA, and I already know I like the school culture and environment of uva. So I just don't know if taking the trip is really worth it.

Then problem solved. Go to UVA.

Michigan isn't better than UVA at all so if there is a burden to beat UVA on objective criteria then I don't think you're going to get it.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 am

Disagree with reasoning, agree with outcome. I think there are many ways in which we're "better" than UVA for some people (the converse is also true) and I'm happy to discuss via PM. That said, fit is very important. If you loved UVA and can't see yourself liking it here more, go to UVA! How you perform and feel is much more important than which of these schools you go to.

Rigo wrote:
Law2020! wrote:I am hesitating to visit, because I don't think Michigan has anything more to offer me academically than does UVA, and I already know I like the school culture and environment of uva. So I just don't know if taking the trip is really worth it.

Michigan isn't better than UVA at all so if there is a burden to beat UVA on objective criteria then I don't think you're going to get it.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:31 am

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Disagree with reasoning, agree with outcome. I think there are many ways in which we're "better" than UVA for some people (the converse is also true) and I'm happy to discuss via PM. That said, fit is very important. If you loved UVA and can't see yourself liking it here more, go to UVA! How you perform and feel is much more important than which of these schools you go to.

Rigo wrote:

Lol your username

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:29 am

Mhm. Wanted to go to NYU. Got in to NYU. Visited Michigan. Fell in love. Don't regret my choice for an instant.

At this level, everyone is smart and these are all good schools. Goal is to find an environment you'll thrive in. Way more important than a couple of % points on clerkship stats.

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Disagree with reasoning, agree with outcome. I think there are many ways in which we're "better" than UVA for some people (the converse is also true) and I'm happy to discuss via PM. That said, fit is very important. If you loved UVA and can't see yourself liking it here more, go to UVA! How you perform and feel is much more important than which of these schools you go to.

Rigo wrote:

Lol your username

Return to “Choosing a Law School�