UT v Berkeley

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spursforever

New

UT v Berkeley

Postby spursforever » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Last edited by spursforever on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: UT v Berkeley

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 pm

spursforever wrote:I would give Berk the edge with public interest and UT the edge with biglaw.

Idk why you are giving UT the edge with BigLaw here. Maybe Texas biglaw, but not biglaw generally.

I'd 100% say UT if you were debt financing since you want to end up in Texas long term. I'm still going to say UT simply because I don't think Berkeley is worth $150k more as a matter of principle. Maybe your parents can help you with a down payment on a house one day or buy you a sweet car with the difference. The early hands-on experience with the capital punishment seems to fit your interests better anyways.
Last edited by Rigo on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 pm

If your parents are paying, retake and do HYS.

Also, I hate you.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 pm

1. Don't pick a school because of the clinic. While a good experience, it's not a good reason to pick one school over another.

2. What Rigo said. UT for TX generally, Berkeley for Biglaw generally.

If your parents are ok paying $250k out of pocket for Berkeley and $100k for UT, then you should really just decide what's most important to you. If getting that out of state experience really matters, let your parents foot the extra bill. If you value ending up in TX, let them pay for UT. You haven't given a great compelling reason to not pick UT, but ultimately you're letting your parents make the investment, so risk is minimal for you. (In this case, I'd go UT every day and twice on Sundays, but I'm not bankrolled by parents, so YMMV).

sener212

New

Postby sener212 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:09 am

advise against law school. Generally. Didn't actually read post. Just FYI.

slurp

New

Postby slurp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:16 am

No idea what your parent's net worth is, but if they're ballin like that, I'd go Berk. I would think your Texas ties would be sufficient to bring you back and Berk will give you more flexibility, especially if you don't immediately wanna go back to TX and wanna work biglaw in CA or NYC.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:48 pm

spursforever wrote:I am very interested in capital punishment, and both schools have capital punishment clinics, though they are slightly different. Berkeley has a year long clinic, but it is very popular and typically you can't get in until 3L. Plus, your clients aren't actually in California. UT's capital clinic is smaller but provides more hands-on experience. I met with the clinical advisor, and he told me I could start working on cases as soon as I get to campus in the fall.

Re: your specific interest in mind, having gone to UT I can say hands down the capital punishment guys, Jordan Steiker in particular, are 10/10 professors and practitioners in the field. Texas, unlike California, actually will still executes people here. I can't speak at all to Berkeley's cap punishment clinic, but the one here is fantastic and I know the people who do it get very good hands on experience.

However, one of the first things these people will tell you is that the capital punishment practice is dying. People 10-15 years ago could have made a career in capital punishment work, but today with so few executions and with the likely abolition in the next 10-15 years based on how the case law and judges are going, I wouldn't put all too much effort into the field. Going to UT just for the capital punishment clinic, therefore, is not a wise decision.

So this will depend on your parents. Even though your parents say they can afford it no strings attached, sticker tuition at Berkeley and the general super high cost of living there will be a LOT of money over 3 years. If they can actually afford it, go to Berkeley. Berkeley kids can get back to Texas, I've seen it happen, as long as you have decent ties (which you do).

Return to “Choosing a Law School�