Fordham vs Cardozo vs Retake Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
snarfing

New

Fordham vs Cardozo vs Retake

Post by snarfing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Basically I just got my scholarship infor for fordham and the choice is between these two or retaking since I didnt get into any t14
I am very blessed to have family offering to house me in NYC for free so rent is not an issue, I am used to living frugally on food.

Fordham: COA would be fully covered by stafford loans, but I would have to take out near the full amounts

Cardozo: would only need about half the stafford a year in order to live off of.

Stats: 170 LSAT 3.5X GPA Chemistry Major

Looking into going into patent lit but willing to change my mind if I get interested in something else.

Prior to my LSAT I had never PTd higher than a 167, but since then I have gotten a 173 once (I have only taken one since then). I admittedly only studied for about a month before the LSAT. I haven't technically heard back from NYU, but I have been wait listed at every other t14 I applied to so I am not expecting anything but a waitlist.

Is fordham worth basically 90k more in debt? Or should I retake.

cavalier1138

Re: Fordham vs Cardozo vs Retake

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Why the hell are these your only two choices? Did you apply super-late in the cycle?

I mean, retaking might help, but you should be getting some T14 acceptances with those numbers. If you aren't, then your application had some issues.

All that said, what are your career goals?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Did you apply really late or kill someone? Poor cycle, right?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 pm

snarfing wrote:Basically I just got my scholarship infor for fordham and the choice is between these two or retaking since I didnt get into any t14
I am very blessed to have family offering to house me in NYC for free so rent is not an issue, I am used to living frugally on food.

Fordham: COA would be fully covered by stafford loans, but I would have to take out near the full amounts

Cardozo: would only need about half the stafford a year in order to live off of.

Looking into going into patent lit but willing to change my mind if I get interested in something else.

Prior to my LSAT I had never PTd higher than a 167, but since then I have gotten a 173 once (I have only taken one since then). I admittedly only studied for about a month before the LSAT. I haven't technically heard back from NYU, but I have been wait listed at every other t14 I applied to so I am not expecting anything but a waitlist.

Tbh this doesn't seem possible, even late in the cycle Fordham and Cardozo should have given you alot of money with those numbers. Your LSAT is great(even by elitist standards) you shouldn't need to retake but these outcomes just don't seem to make sense and might be the most bizzare scenario I've ever encountered from my years lurking on this site.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:48 pm

I applied really late, like roughly january 17th.

I didnt have any guidance with my app because my school's prelaw advisor didnt respond to my emails and when I came to her office she basically told me to get lost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
snarfing wrote:Basically I just got my scholarship infor for fordham and the choice is between these two or retaking since I didnt get into any t14

Tbh this doesn't seem possible, even late in the cycle Fordham and Cardozo should have given you alot of money with those numbers. Your LSAT is great(even by elitist standards) you shouldn't need to retake but these outcomes just don't seem to make sense and might be the most bizzare scenario I've ever encountered from my years lurking on this site.
Cardozo gave me full scholarship and fordham gave me 40k a year is that really low? Isnt it unusual to get a stipend in addition to full scholarship?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:52 pm

snarfing wrote:I applied really late, like roughly january 17th.

I didnt have any guidance with my app because my school's prelaw advisor didnt respond to my emails and when I came to her office she basically told me to get lost.
Prelaw advisors are mostly idiots, so no real loss. Retake if you think you can squeeze out some more points, but honestly, just reapplying next year at the beginning of the cycle would drastically improve your outcomes.

But again, career goals? Fordham or Cardozo might be decent options depending on what you want to do.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:52 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
snarfing wrote:I applied really late, like roughly january 17th.

Prelaw advisors are mostly idiots, so no real loss. Retake if you think you can squeeze out some more points, but honestly, just reapplying next year at the beginning of the cycle would drastically improve your outcomes.

But again, career goals? Fordham or Cardozo might be decent options depending on what you want to do.
Goal is to eventually be an inhouse patent litigator

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:58 pm

snarfing wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Cardozo gave me full scholarship and fordham gave me 40k a year is that really low? Isnt it unusual to get a stipend in addition to full scholarship?
That isn't what you said. Nm that makes perfect sense, Fordham should have given you more but seeing as you applied late, can't really blame them for that. If you prefer Fordham wait a year and reapply in August. .
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
snarfing wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

That isn't what you said. Nm that makes perfect sense, Fordham should have given you more but seeing as you applied late, can't really blame them for that. Just wait a year and reapply and go to either school for free.
I said I would only need half of the stafford to live off of, thought that was clear my bad

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:01 pm

snarfing wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snarfing wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

That isn't what you said. Nm that makes perfect sense, Fordham should have given you more but seeing as you applied late, can't really blame them for that. Just wait a year and reapply and go to either school for free.
I said I would only need half of the stafford to live off of, thought that was clear my bad
Np, np. Misunderstood.

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:17 pm

snarfing wrote: Is fordham worth basically 90k more in debt? Or should I retake.
I don't think it's worth it, especially not with your stats. Take a year off, work, travel, and do a proper cycle and get apps to Columbia & NYU in.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm

potus wrote:
snarfing wrote: Is fordham worth basically 90k more in debt? Or should I retake.
I don't think it's worth it, especially not with your stats. Take a year off, work, travel, and do a proper cycle and get apps to Columbia & NYU in.
Am I really that likely to get into NYU or Columbia though? All of the data I've seen says people with my stats only have like a 25% chance of getting in

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Post by ambrajdurbra131313 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:59 pm

snarfing wrote:
potus wrote:
Am I really that likely to get into NYU or Columbia though? All of the data I've seen says people with my stats only have like a 25% chance of getting in
If you did get in, you'd be paying sticker. Id reapply early next year- get some money from the lower T14 and maybe more money from Fordham then decide with all your options in front of you. If you go that route, Id study for a couple months and retake in June to see if you could pull off that 173

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:36 pm

snarfing wrote:
potus wrote:
With 170, likely for NYU and toss-up for CLS. Can wait out this cycle to see if you get off the WL and compare scholly potential (but probably sticker off WL).

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:41 pm

potus wrote:
snarfing wrote:
potus wrote:
With 170, likely for NYU and toss-up for CLS. Can wait out this cycle to see if you get off the WL and compare scholly potential (but probably sticker off WL).
Would it make sense to put a seat deposit in for fordham and then retake and reapply if I score higher? Or should I reapply early in the cycle regardless

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 pm

snarfing wrote: Would it make sense to put a seat deposit in for fordham and then retake and reapply if I score higher? Or should I reapply early in the cycle regardless
If you got the 40k/yr. then that would've been 120k total and the only scholly that's higher is 135k (http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... cholarship). There's actually another person who applied with 170/3.45 and got the same scholly but had applied early in the cycle. I think it's a good idea to deposit and then retake to see how far you can get with proper studying beyond one month and reassess then. You won't lose your scholly and scoring >170 would give you the security if you wanted to reapply next cycle for CLS/NYU if you don't get accepted off the WL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 pm

Do not take either option with those stats. Fix your personal statement, get better recs, tighten your resume, and reapply the day apps open. You should have decent T13 money with your numbers.

Do you have something with C and F or something? If not your application must have been awful.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:30 pm

Just fix up your app and apply next year bro. Don't waste your time in those schools.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:52 am

We basically have the same stats, while mine is slightly higher. I applied in mid-to-late Feb, and I have also been waitlisted almost at every T13 right now. I am still waiting to hear back from a few. Granted, OP, you should be getting more money from non-T13s.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:48 am

Dude, with your numbers, you have to reapply early next year. You will almost certainly at least get into low-mid T14, Cardozo would give you a full ride, and Fordham probably close to one too (but with your stats, you should be thinking about the t14).

Since you're going to wait out a year anyway, you may as well retake if you think you can get a few extra points, but just reapplying in September will do wonders for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:08 am

studyingeveryday wrote:Dude, with your numbers, you have to reapply early next year. You will almost certainly at least get into low-mid T14, Cardozo would give you a full ride, and Fordham probably close to one too (but with your stats, you should be thinking about the t14).

Since you're going to wait out a year anyway, you may as well retake if you think you can get a few extra points, but just reapplying in September will do wonders for you.
I have a full ride at cardozo, and I have 40k a year at fordham which is the second highest scholarship option they offer. I dont have interest in any t14 outside of NY/Penn/Michigan for personal reasons. I dont disagree I should reapply for t14, but I dont really see myself getting better offers from Cardozo or Fordham.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:10 am

Dcc617 wrote:Do not take either option with those stats. Fix your personal statement, get better recs, tighten your resume, and reapply the day apps open. You should have decent T13 money with your numbers.

Do you have something with C and F or something? If not your application must have been awful.
Nope, just one speeding ticket 3 years ago. I had plenty of people look over my P.S. but none of them were lawyers or someone who went to law school since my school decided to only support people in the prelaw track. My recs were from a professor who had me for 3 years and my research advisor of 2 years (I do chemistry wetlab research). Who should I look for recommenders?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:16 am

snarfing wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Do not take either option with those stats. Fix your personal statement, get better recs, tighten your resume, and reapply the day apps open. You should have decent T13 money with your numbers.
Nope, just one speeding ticket 3 years ago. I had plenty of people look over my P.S. but none of them were lawyers or someone who went to law school since my school decided to only support people in the prelaw track. My recs were from a professor who had me for 3 years and my research advisor of 2 years (I do chemistry wetlab research). Who should I look for recommenders?
Nah your recs are likely fine and not what held you back.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:19 am

With your free rent situation, I'd probably reapply very early next year for NYU and an outside shot at Columbia. Since you mentioned being open to retake, I'd do that too in June or September.

You might still get in this cycle even.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”