UT/Minnesota/Retake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigflaw_ruleofjaw

New

UT/Minnesota/Retake?

Postby bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Last edited by bigflaw_ruleofjaw on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: UT/Minnesota/Retake?

Postby UVA2B » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:31 pm

Is your COA for MN at or near a full ride? I only ask because it sounds like MN is where you want to end up, which means you should retake (for funsies), and reapply to UMN earlier for hopefully a full ride. That would be your best outcome for your goals (outside significant scholarship at T13 if you kill the retake).

ETA: missed the UG debt part. You should take time to chip away at that debt first, then consider more debt for law school. Law school isn't going anywhere, and being $150-160k in debt following law school graduation will be a really rough place to be coming from UMN. You have a ~20% chance of getting a job that will pay off the debt. I also find it a bit strange to say you want to do civil rights law, but want to get a job that will pay off your debt first. Those are almost entirely different jobs, and doing Biglaw first will not give you much chance to do exclusively civil rights law after you've paid off your debt. Just make sure you know your goals for going to law school, because I always advocate for people fleshing that out before going.
Last edited by UVA2B on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Taking on 100-150k for one of these schools, plus having 60k of UG debt, seems like way too much.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:01 pm

I went to UT. I would not go to UT unless you want to work in TX long term, and I would not go to UT at the debt level you're talking about.

What do you mean by "civil rights law"?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�