For anyone choosing a school with no $$, b/c of Loan Forgiveness.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Johann

Diamond

Re: For anyone choosing a school with no $$, b/c of Loan Forgiveness.

Postby Johann » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:18 pm

plus lol at congress getting together to pass almost any laws right now let alone that one.

that shit is safely locked in for those that have used it. including however number of 1% examples like the story exist.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:02 am

Johann wrote:uhhh the law that was in place at the time. you are 1 step away from some weird conspiracy shit. judges also arent allowed to let people declare bankruptcy on student loans but they do still because justice.

what? no they don't, except very occasionally if the debtors meet the very high standard for undue hardship. That's not judges doing something they're not allowed to do (and they also don't do it very often at all).

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:04 am

whatever its a dumb hypo anywyas cause its never gonna happen.

Milksteak

New

Postby Milksteak » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:44 am

Does anyone have a case where congress passed a statute retroactively disclaiming the validity of all reliance damage claims relating to a federal program?

Also, Republicans can't repeal a bill they spent 7 years promising to repeal. I bet over half of hill staffers rely on this program. Is congress gonna screw their own staff over?

Also this is not just lawyers. These are teachers, social workers, police officers, you name it. Fucking over all government and non-profit employees is fucking over a pretty large constituency.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:38 am

I'm surprised the 0Ls were up in arms about Harvard allowing the GRE but seem unconcerned about this.
Particularly this quote:

In a legal filing submitted last week, the Education Department suggested that borrowers could not rely on the program’s administrator to say accurately whether they qualify for debt forgiveness. The thousands of approval letters that have been sent by the administrator, FedLoan Servicing, are not binding and can be rescinded at any time, the agency said.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Npret wrote:I'm surprised the 0Ls were up in arms about Harvard allowing the GRE but seem unconcerned about this.
Particularly this quote:

In a legal filing submitted last week, the Education Department suggested that borrowers could not rely on the program’s administrator to say accurately whether they qualify for debt forgiveness. The thousands of approval letters that have been sent by the administrator, FedLoan Servicing, are not binding and can be rescinded at any time, the agency said.

I'm a 0L and am much more concerned about this than Harvard and GREs. Also, I think your generalization is pretty unfair. The 70-80% of 0Ls who have no plans of doing PI/government work will pass this thread up. Meanwhile, few 0Ls are passing up the Harvard thread, because 1) almost everyone dreams of attending Harvard and 2) many will want to comment and speculate about the implications for other law schools. Will they follow? If this becomes a trend, what does it mean for splitters? Reverse splitters? LSAT takers in genera? What are the implications for LSAC? Etc. This thread is going to naturally draw in less attention by 0Ls and the TLS community at large.

pyramidenergy888

New

Postby pyramidenergy888 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:08 pm

The situation in the article exemplifies why going into debt is a bad idea... you are at the mercy of someone else and have to sweat when they try to do something super shady. How can you retroactively say that certification of your job for PSLF is no longer guaranteed? People make huge financial decisions like where to work and how much to pay off on their loans each month based on these things and then they say that they carry no guarantee? DON'T GO INTO DEBT.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:33 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Npret wrote:I'm surprised the 0Ls were up in arms about Harvard allowing the GRE but seem unconcerned about this.
Particularly this quote:

I'm a 0L and am much more concerned about this than Harvard and GREs. Also, I think your generalization is pretty unfair. The 70-80% of 0Ls who have no plans of doing PI/government work will pass this thread up. Meanwhile, few 0Ls are passing up the Harvard thread, because 1) almost everyone dreams of attending Harvard and 2) many will want to comment and speculate about the implications for other law schools. Will they follow? If this becomes a trend, what does it mean for splitters? Reverse splitters? LSAT takers in genera? What are the implications for LSAC? Etc. This thread is going to naturally draw in less attention by 0Ls and the TLS community at large.

There are a large number of 0Ls who want PI or at least many that think about possible loan forgiveness. I'm not seeing any general outrage or concern. The idea that LSAT isn't needed to get into Harvard bothers people a great deal more than the education department arguing that eligibility determinations for loan forgiveness aren't binding -at least going by the discussions here.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Why would anyone want to rely on this shady government program when they can just retake and reapply?

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Why would anyone want to rely on this shady government program when they can just retake and reapply?

I don't think anyone wants to rely on this program.

Nacho_Verde

New

Postby Nacho_Verde » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:Why would anyone want to rely on this shady government program when they can just retake and reapply?

I volunteered at a nonprofit. I had lawyers left and right telling me not to even worry about money because it would all be forgiven in ten years.

Milksteak

New

Postby Milksteak » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Even retaking and getting a full scholarship to school doesn't solve this problem because of COL. I don't know any other PI-or-bust people who aren't taking out loans to live off while in school. On a PD/legal aid salary even what TLS would consider modest or minimal loans are impossible to service. If this goes away it is going to fuck almost all people in PI over.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Nacho_Verde wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I volunteered at a nonprofit. I had lawyers left and right telling me not to even worry about money because it would all be forgiven in ten years.

I think the point was that school loans shouldn't have to be so obscenely high and PI salaries so obscenely low that anyone has to rely on the government to make it possible for good people to do good work.

Nacho_Verde

New

Postby Nacho_Verde » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:14 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I think the point was that school loans shouldn't have to be so obscenely high and PI salaries so obscenely low that anyone has to rely on the government to make it possible for good people to do good work.

Okay, but in my scenario I was advised against taking close to full rides at schools.

half moon

New

Postby half moon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Johann wrote:plus lol at congress getting together to pass almost any laws right now let alone that one.

that shit is safely locked in for those that have used it. including however number of 1% examples like the story exist.

I do have a hard time imagining Congress getting the votes to eliminate the program. My bigger concern is that the Dept. of Ed my decide to more narrowly define what sort of job is eligible for forgiveness going forward. Wouldn't necessarily be ruinous for those of us planning to go into PI, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?