Regional Flagship with Full Ride still hesitant on attending

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
midwestkid06

New

Regional Flagship with Full Ride still hesitant on attending

Postby midwestkid06 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

I have been accepted to University of Missouri's law school, with a full scholarship $63K over three years. I only took the LSAT once, 161 with a 3.2 GPA.
The COA is about 35k, putting me at 65K debt when combined with my undergrad debt.
My rational for going is I know I will love the education and enjoy law school (as much as one can enjoy law school). I'm from Missouri and went to Mizzou for undergrad, and have ties in corporate/law fields in Stl. No one can predict performance in law school but I have confidence in my work ethic to do well in the small class, around 100 kids.
The thing is I, one don't know if I want to be a lawyer, two I don't want to stay in Missouri past the age of 30-32 (I'm currently 24 and would graduate at 28). I really don't have any other idea of what I want to do so why not let someone pay me to go to school.
Is this wrong rational to go to school somewhere just because it's free and seems like the most viable option I have at the current moment?

Looking at real input not just retake; even with retaking it will be hard fought to find schools who will offer me a full ride and I have no interest in taking on debt for tuition and COL.

somedeadman

Bronze

Re: Regional Flagship with Full Ride still hesitant on attending

Postby somedeadman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:05 pm

Mizzou is not a regional flagship (edit - at least not for law school)

I'll let others with more experience give more concrete advice, but if you wanted to work in STL and really did have corporate ties, SLU for free would be a better option than Mizzou. But it sounds like you don't really want to...
Last edited by somedeadman on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Don't go. You might not want to be a lawyer (and you might not be able to given the school's placement), and you might not want to stay in the state (which you'll almost definitely have to if you go to school there).

Just go find a job doing something else.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:09 pm

First off, they aren't paying you to go to school. They are giving you a tuition discount; you're still taking on not insignificant debt to live. Second, if you want to be out of Missouri within a few years following graduation, you shouldn't be going to Missouri at all. Third, ties to a company/corporation previously should not functionally affect your decision unless you have a job offer in hand and just need the degree.

You are right to be hesitant on attending, because it sounds to me like you want law school, not a career in the law. Just because you can't figure out what else you want to do doesn't mean you should take on 65k debt for a degree in a profession you don't really want. You shouldn't go to law school with the mindset you're currently in.

ILoveYou

Silver

Postby ILoveYou » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm not going to say retake (and I hope no one else will either) because you aren't sure you want to be a lawyer. Deciding that should be step one. Do not go to this law school just because you got a scholarship and aren't really sure what you want to do. That's setting yourself up for unhappiness and/or failure. You can find nearly endless examples of people who did basically that and ended up miserable, both as practicing attorneys and in completely unrelated fields that were open to them before attending law school, on this site and elsewhere. The only reason you should attend law school is if you have a concrete goal to work towards and a JD helps get you there.

If you do decide you want to be a lawyer, then I'm sorry in advance, but I would say buckle down, study, and retake. Knowing you don't want to stay in the state long-term, I wouldn't go to this state/regional school. There's not a lot of national reach--over 80% of grads stay in MO and that number tops 90% if you expand to bordering states as well. It just doesn't give you a great shot at working as a lawyer much beyond the school's own back yard.

midwestkid06

New

Postby midwestkid06 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 am

ILoveYou wrote:I'm not going to say retake (and I hope no one else will either) because you aren't sure you want to be a lawyer. Deciding that should be step one. Do not go to this law school just because you got a scholarship and aren't really sure what you want to do. That's setting yourself up for unhappiness and/or failure. You can find nearly endless examples of people who did basically that and ended up miserable, both as practicing attorneys and in completely unrelated fields that were open to them before attending law school, on this site and elsewhere. The only reason you should attend law school is if you have a concrete goal to work towards and a JD helps get you there.

If you do decide you want to be a lawyer, then I'm sorry in advance, but I would say buckle down, study, and retake. Knowing you don't want to stay in the state long-term, I wouldn't go to this state/regional school. There's not a lot of national reach--over 80% of grads stay in MO and that number tops 90% if you expand to bordering states as well. It just doesn't give you a great shot at working as a lawyer much beyond the school's own back yard.

Thanks for the advice, I've been trying to tell myself I could secure a JD advantage job if I finish well in school and then hopefully move to a diff location within that company but the numbers don't really go along with that and it is an obscure goal. I've just had difficulty buckling down and studying for the LSAT, I went to retake last December and ended up not sitting or revoking my score so not sure how that looks.

midwestkid06

New

Postby midwestkid06 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:23 am

UVA2B wrote: You are right to be hesitant on attending, because it sounds to me like you want law school, not a career in the law. Just because you can't figure out what else you want to do doesn't mean you should take on 65k debt for a degree in a profession you don't really want. You shouldn't go to law school with the mindset you're currently in.

I would agree 100 percent I want law school and not a career in law, I admire the education and think its valuable to have personally. As far as taking on debt, I already have 30k for undergrad so I would only be taking on another 30-35k for a JD which is a bargain. Yet is still probably a waste of 3 years and 35k if it does not provide me with any advantageous opportunities in the areas(geographically) that I want.

midwestkid06

New

Postby midwestkid06 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:24 am

somedeadman wrote:Mizzou is not a regional flagship (edit - at least not for law school)

I'll let others with more experience give more concrete advice, but if you wanted to work in STL and really did have corporate ties, SLU for free would be a better option than Mizzou. But it sounds like you don't really want to...

SLU has offered me 102K so would cost me about 60K to attend which is a no go for me, puts me too close to 6 figures of debt upon graduation.

ILoveYou

Silver

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:38 am

midwestkid06 wrote: I've just had difficulty buckling down and studying for the LSAT, I went to retake last December and ended up not sitting or revoking my score so not sure how that looks.

I totally understand how hard it can be to get motivated to retake, especially if you're not sure exactly why you want to get that higher score. If you decide you want to pursue law school and retake, you might find it helpful to check out some of the study/support group threads on this board. Best of luck to you.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:49 am

midwestkid06 wrote:
The thing is I, one don't know if I want to be a lawyer, two I don't want to stay in Missouri past the age of 30-32 (I'm currently 24 and would graduate at 28).

Don't go. Move somewhere else while you're young and try to find a non-legal job.
Law school isn't going anywhere so you can always circle back at a later date.

TripleM

Bronze

Postby TripleM » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:35 pm

midwestkid06 wrote: Yet is still probably a waste of 3 years and 35k if it does not provide me with any advantageous opportunities in the areas(geographically) that I want.

You are the first person in the history of TLS to actually listen to the advice that they've solicited. Well done.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 pm

Rigo wrote:
midwestkid06 wrote:
The thing is I, one don't know if I want to be a lawyer, two I don't want to stay in Missouri past the age of 30-32 (I'm currently 24 and would graduate at 28).

Don't go. Move somewhere else while you're young and try to find a non-legal job.
Law school isn't going anywhere so you can always circle back at a later date.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�