Berk/USC/UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jdanz

Bronze

Berk/USC/UVA

Postby jdanz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:18 pm

-The schools you are considering: Berk, USC, UVA

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA): Berk - 180k (60K Scholarship), USC - 100K (157k scholarship), and UVA 113k (135K scholarship). I have attempted to use my UVA scholly to negotiate with USC and Berk. USC would not budge and I still have not heard anything from Cal, although I am not optimistic since they seem to be particularly stingy this year

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings: Loans primarily. I am also fortunate enough that my parents will provide 15k annually to help cover living expenses (45k total)

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any): From Southern California and all my ties are here. I would like to work in California after graduating but would not want to necessarily limit myself to just Southern California as Northern California seems appealing

-Your general career goals: Interested in labor and employment law. Would like to do fedgov or state but I am open to biglaw. I realize that gov positions are extremely competitive so that is why I am open to biglaw, just not too thrilled about it as I would like to have some semblance of work/life balance

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers: 171 3.8

-How many times you have taken the LSAT: 3x (170, cancel, 171)
Last edited by jdanz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Silver

Re: Berk/USC/UVA

Postby dabigchina » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Go to UVA.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:28 pm

UVA, no question. You have ties to the region, and UVA can absolutely place you back in California.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Glad I'm not the first to say it. Congrats, and I hope you come to Cville in the fall!

jdanz

Bronze

Postby jdanz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:16 pm

I understand that with my current options, UVA is the prudent choice but at what cost would make Cal a defensible option assuming I am able to negotiate more $$ out of them? I guess I am trying to make Cal work because I have a serious partner who intends on following me to law school but only if I stay in California

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:21 pm

If Berkeley matches UVA, absolutely go ahead with Berkeley. Given personal preference and circumstance, you could maybe justify spending $5k-$10k more per year. It'd make zero financial sense, but not all decisions have to be entirely financially rational if you have compelling personal reasons. I'd never do it, but I can see why others might.

Lawschool305

Bronze

Postby Lawschool305 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Although UVA is the best choice. Attending USC with a 157k scholarship would be a great outcome as well. If your significant other would be living with you, that may decrease COA as well.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:24 pm

If you were focused only on NorCal, then I could see justifying Berk over UVA. But seeing as how you're fine with SoCal as well, then UVA.

ETA: It sounds like you've got a SO in the mix. I'm afraid you're going to have to value that yourself.

Let me put it this way: is Berk worth shelling out $65K more than UVA for slightly better overall job prospects in California? No. But is Berk worth shelling out $65K more than UVA for slightly better overall job prospects in California + maintaining a relationship with a SO you want to be with? We can't answer that for you.

jdanz

Bronze

Postby jdanz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:35 pm

rpupkin wrote:If you were focused only on NorCal, then I could see justifying Berk over UVA. But seeing as how you're fine with SoCal as well, then UVA.

ETA: It sounds like you've got a SO in the mix. I'm afraid you're going to have to value that yourself.

Let me put it this way: is Berk worth shelling out $65K more than UVA for slightly better overall job prospects in California? No. But is Berk worth shelling out $65K more than UVA for slightly better overall job prospects in California + maintaining a relationship with a SO you want to be with? We can't answer that for you.

Okay, so just for the sake of exploring all my options, let's say I do decide to take my SO's geographic preferences into account. Would Berk be preferred over USC?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm

jdanz wrote:
rpupkin wrote:If you were focused only on NorCal, then I could see justifying Berk over UVA. But seeing as how you're fine with SoCal as well, then UVA.

Okay, so just for the sake of exploring all my options, let's say I do decide to take my SO's geographic preferences into account. Would Berk be preferred over USC?

Likely yes, considering either debt load will require Biglaw to pay it off. I'm a little confused why your Berkeley debt is so much lower, even accounting for in-state tuition and scholarship, while USC is that high. I guess I'll defer to you on the calculations you're making, but it seems to me that Berkeley would be a higher debt load (too high for me in either case, but this is a person-specific choice) or USC would be less. I don't love either option, but Berkeley would be the subjectively better decision over USC at those numbers.

loslakers

New

Postby loslakers » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:47 pm

only 13k more for uva over usc? definitely choose uva.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:48 pm

jdanz wrote:

It depends on your post-grad goals. If you're fine with a likely outcome of no big law + being limited to LA, then USC.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:32 pm

This is spot on.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:16 pm

UVA.

jdanz

Bronze

Postby jdanz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Berk doubled my scholarship to 120k. So now that Uva and Berk are essentially pretty similar in cost, does it make sense to choose Berk given my goals?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 pm

jdanz wrote:Berk doubled my scholarship to 120k. So now that Uva and Berk are essentially pretty similar in cost, does it make sense to choose Berk given my goals?

Yes.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Postby Po$eidon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:43 pm

jdanz wrote:Berk doubled my scholarship to 120k. So now that Uva and Berk are essentially pretty similar in cost, does it make sense to choose Berk given my goals?

Definitely

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:44 pm

At equal costs, makes perfect sense. Enjoy Berkeley!

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Cosign. Enjoy Berkeley.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�