Best IP Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mike. jooones

New

Best IP Law Schools

Postby mike. jooones » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:16 pm

I am wondering which schools are most respected for pursuing IP Law? I had assumed that schools near DC, like Georgetown and GWU would be best for IP. I do have an advanced degree in aerospace engineering and a few patents myself, which is what got me interested in IP law in the first place. This will be heavily discussed in my personal statement.

Some quick google searching led me to these lists:
https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... w-rankings
http://law-schools.startclass.com/d/c/I ... operty-Law

They basically say I should focus on Berkeley, Stanford, NYU, GWU, Penn, UVA, Duke, Michigan.

Could anyone personally speak to this topic? TIA.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Re: Best IP Law Schools

Postby circle.the.wagons » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:23 pm

0L disclaimer, take my advice with a grain of salt if you want.

I'm interested in patent law as well. You'll notice the schools you've listed are top ranked schools in general. They may be slightly out of order compared to the UNSWR ranking, but with a few exceptions, they are mostly they are the same schools. My point is, figure out what regions you want to practice in, and apply to the top ranked schools in those regions, just like if you were going to practice non IP law.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 pm

IP shouldn't drastically change your approach to picking a law school, minus some degree at the margins. So, for instance, picking Stanford over Harvard for the SV proximity makes some sense. Same goes for Berkeley vs. Duke (for instance). And that's only if you specifically want to go to SV or another bay area market. Outside things like that, go to a school that traditionally places well in your desired market, which roughly aligns with T13+regional. Pick based on cost within the T13 tiers, and roll with it. It'd be foolish to follow any specialty ranking (USNWR or otherwise), because while IP does hire slightly differently, that doesn't change the truisms about hiring generally.

ETA: Just want to clarify, even at those margins, Duke for cheaper than Berkeley is still the right call, even if you want SV. That was implying at similar costs.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Follow-on point: the strong regional for free can also be the best bet among them, when compared to taking on debt for a T13. For example, if you wanted IP law in Denver, had ties to CO and were patent bar eligible, I would hands down pick going to Boulder for free over a T13 at significant cost. This is just to say that IP does give you some leeway in picking the safer financial option because the hiring you care about doesn't strictly follow percentile approximations. You may have a 20% chance of Biglaw in Denver (disclosure: totally made this number up), but IP is sufficiently rare in law school that you can fudge that number at least a little bit. Depending on previous experience in STEM, it could be a big difference or a negligible difference, but that has more to do with the experience than the law school.

mike. jooones

New

Postby mike. jooones » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:14 am

UVA2B wrote:Follow-on point: the strong regional for free can also be the best bet among them, when compared to taking on debt for a T13.

This is very interesting to me. I just reconnected with a former colleague who now works IP Law at a large DC firm. Very anecdotal, but he said he late registered for the LSAT on a whim, took it a few weeks later and his low 160s score was good enough for a full ride at Temple. He worked hard during 1L and also got onto Law Review and that seems to have worked out very well for him. He recommended me considering Temple or GW versus a small to no scholarship at a T13. He did add that if I could get more than 90K+ scholarship to a T13, it would probably be worth the extra job security, especially if I were to find a different law interest during school.

snowball2

Bronze

Postby snowball2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:05 am

From my perspective the difference between attending a good school and a school that has some recognition for IP is minimal. You aren't going t develop expertise in anything in law school and odds are good that any top school will have trademark/copyright/patent courses. Best strategy is to get into the best school that accepts you and you can afford and work from there. Then embark on a campaign to get a 2L SA with a good IP firm (easier said than done, I know).

Return to “Choosing a Law School�