ND v WUSTL for DC placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JustWannaGraduate

New

ND v WUSTL for DC placement

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 pm

ND & WUSTL are both about at 80% scholly, my goal is clerkship --> DC Biglaw/federal gov law.

Any ideas on which is better?

If you're gonna take me to retake to get into a better school, got it.

grades??

Silver

Re: ND v WUSTL for DC placement

Postby grades?? » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Neither gives you any good chance. Retake or you won't get DC. Your choice.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 pm

They're both shot in the dark chances, it would be impossible to differentiate their Fed. Clerk->DC Biglaw/FedGov because the sample sizes at both are so small. So assume it'd take a pretty big stroke of luck from either. Not hustle or drive: luck.

You clearly already know the right answer for your goals, and the alternative question you've asked can't be answered with any authority, so...do you have any idea what else you'd like to do with a law degree if you missed on your very unlikely goals?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm

I seriously hope you applied to at least GW...

WUSTL and ND are great schools...but not for getting a job in DC. Not sure if it's self selection but the numbers dont look good since DC should be a popular market.

http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/employmentdata/EmploymentSummary-2015.pdf

http://law.nd.edu/assets/196115/2015_aba_employment_summary.pdf

JustWannaGraduate

New

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:38 pm

grades?? wrote:Neither gives you any good chance. Retake or you won't get DC. Your choice.

Thanks for your sage advice, sir. Much appreciated.

As to the others, I did apply to GW, and got a full ride there. Still an option, just wondering about the other two.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 pm

JustWannaGraduate wrote:
grades?? wrote:Neither gives you any good chance. Retake or you won't get DC. Your choice.

As to the others, I did apply to GW, and got a full ride there. Still an option, just wondering about the other two.

Nice!

I guess it depends on how much you want to work in DC at this point.

JustWannaGraduate

New

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Nice!

A good bit. It has me considering UVA/Penn/Duke @ close to sticker.

Heard from some ND people that people in the top 10% there get DC OCI, and know a couple going there. Know that its tough to be there though.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

JustWannaGraduate wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Nice!

Heard from some ND people that people in the top 10% there get DC OCI, and know a couple going there. Know that its tough to be there though.

I know 2 people going to DC SAs from ND this summer. Both are from DC, have a parent/parents that are partners in DC biglaw, and both are top 5%. Thats the type that gets DC biglaw from ND. I would imagine WUSTL is even harder.

JustWannaGraduate

New

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:03 pm

grades?? wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Nice!

I know 2 people going to DC SAs from ND this summer. Both are from DC, have a parent/parents that are partners in DC biglaw, and both are top 5%. Thats the type that gets DC biglaw from ND. I would imagine WUSTL is even harder.

Just an FYI, ND has a placement map on their website for the last 5 years.

The stats are:
19 Law Firm
14 Government
8 Public Interest
8 Judicial Clerkship
^ in DC. Total is 49 in DC.

Assuming class size is ~ 180, that means about 10/180 in each class go to DC.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 pm

grades?? wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Nice!

How much harder? I would imagine if you are from DC, have a parent thats a partner in DC BL, and are top 5% at WUSTL you would have a good chance at DC. It sounds like you're saying that's not enough.

Effingham

Bronze

Postby Effingham » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Go to gw with full scholly in this scenario.

JustWannaGraduate

New

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Effingham wrote:Go to gw with full scholly in this scenario.

I know that's probably the right choice, but I'm a little concerned by their huge drop in rankings. #30 is comparable to OSU and other large state schools.

Additionally, clerkship placement is more important to me than D.C. And ND punches way above their weight in that sense

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:08 pm

JustWannaGraduate wrote:

I know that's probably the right choice, but I'm a little concerned by their huge drop in rankings. #30 is comparable to OSU and other large state schools.

Additionally, clerkship placement is more important to me than D.C. And ND punches way above their weight in that sense

If clerkship is most important, ND has the best numbers, but for fed clerkships, we're still talking under 15 people from each of those schools would get them. Personally, I think GW for free is the better option because DC gov/biglaw is what you want as a backup and the other two simply don't place significant numbers in.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Are you conservative?

JustWannaGraduate

New

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Rigo wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Are you conservative?

Left leaning. I don't care that much about political leanings of the school though TBH I know ND tends to be more conservatives

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

JustWannaGraduate wrote:
Rigo wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Are you conservative?

Left leaning. I don't care that much about political leanings of the school though TBH I know ND tends to be more conservatives

Okay, I've just heard its clerkship numbers are up there because of conservative influential faculty funneling conservative students into conservative judicial chambers.
Maybe just a grain of salt for you in looking at their clerk numbers.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:45 pm

guybourdin wrote:
grades?? wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:

Nice!

How much harder? I would imagine if you are from DC, have a parent thats a partner in DC BL, and are top 5% at WUSTL you would have a good chance at DC. It sounds like you're saying that's not enough.

He's wrong. I've seen people land D.C. Jobs, including biglaw as low as top third ish. I wouldn't call it likely though. And you have a pretty good chance at top 10 percent or higher, but nobody should count on those grades.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�