Need help choosing a law school in Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
irlaxgirl

New

Need help choosing a law school in Chicago

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Hello, I've been accepted to Loyola, DePaul and John Marshall in Chicago. Loyola gave 20k a year, DePaul 30k a year and John Marshall full tuition. I also have been given 30k/yr at Syracuse and 27500/yr at Santa Clara, though I would prefer to be in Chicago. All of the scholarships only stipulate that I remain in good standing and are non negotiable. My career goals include hopefully big law in IP. My questions are: is the debt worth it at Loyola? What do you think are my best options? And, though I would like to be in Chicago (SO gas a job waiting there), would it be better to be elsewhere? Thank you so much for your time and input!

grades??

Silver

Re: Need help choosing a law school in Chicago

Postby grades?? » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Before even getting into those schools (which will not get you biglaw), do you have a graduate degree in a hard science? Preferably a PHD? If not, you aren't getting IP from any school.

irlaxgirl

New

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 pm

grades?? wrote:Before even getting into those schools (which will not get you biglaw), do you have a graduate degree in a hard science? Preferably a PHD? If not, you aren't getting IP from any school.

I do not. But I do have extensive experience in energy, especially oil. (Coming from Oklahoma)

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:53 pm

None of these schools will get you to your career goals, and as mentioned, IP is not going to be an option anywhere without the proper background.

If you want biglaw in Chicago, you need to be shooting for Chicago and Northwestern.

irlaxgirl

New

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:54 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:
grades?? wrote:Before even getting into those schools (which will not get you biglaw), do you have a graduate degree in a hard science? Preferably a PHD? If not, you aren't getting IP from any school.

I do not. But I do have extensive experience in energy, especially oil. (Coming from Oklahoma)

I was hoping to do softer IP, like litigation in trademark and copywriter

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:

Well then you wont be getting an IP job, especially a biglaw IP job. You do not have the minimum qualifications. You should reassess your career goals. On top of that, none of these schools give you either any chance or even a minimal chance at biglaw generally. So if you want biglaw, you need to retake. If you want biglaw IP, you need a graduate degree in hard science AND to retake. This is the serious god honest truth.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:

As in entertainment?

irlaxgirl

New

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 pm

grades?? wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:

Well then you wont be getting an IP job, especially a biglaw IP job. You do not have the minimum qualifications. You should reassess your career goals. On top of that, none of these schools give you either any chance or even a minimal chance at biglaw generally. So if you want biglaw, you need to retake. If you want biglaw IP, you need a graduate degree in hard science AND to retake. This is the serious god honest truth.

Thank you for telling me that. I do need to hear it. I've also considered health law and more international trade law (I speak multiple languages). I've spoken with every contact in the law field I have there who have said that Loyola might be enough for the larger firms. I don't really have an option of waiting or retaking at this point, but am willing to do pretty much anything else. I looked extensively at all of the ABA disclosures and though I know employment figures tend to be overstated, it did have about 20-30% in the larger firms, though of course I don't know their positions.

irlaxgirl

New

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:

As in entertainment?

Yes, though I am not committed to it

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:I don't really have an option of waiting or retaking at this point, but am willing to do pretty much anything else.

Please explain what you mean by this.

Also, LST reports 13% of 2015 grads went to large firms, so I'm not sure where you're getting the 20-30% number. You will not get biglaw from Loyola, and you certainly won't get international trade law.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:06 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:

As in entertainment?

So basically, when you applied on LSAC, you checked off every box in the "Interested Areas of Study"

irlaxgirl

New

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:Hello, I've been accepted to Loyola, DePaul and John Marshall in Chicago. Loyola gave 20k a year, DePaul 30k a year and John Marshall full tuition. I also have been given 30k/yr at Syracuse and 27500/yr at Santa Clara, though I would prefer to be in Chicago. All of the scholarships only stipulate that I remain in good standing and are non negotiable. My career goals include hopefully big law in IP. My questions are: is the debt worth it at Loyola? What do you think are my best options? And, though I would like to be in Chicago (SO gas a job waiting there), would it be better to be elsewhere? Thank you so much for your time and input!

I'm just kind of lost now. I have many different interests and not much time nor options to retake or wait. My law school advisor hasn't been super helpful and I not sure if the debt will be worth it .

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:
grades?? wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:

Thank you for telling me that. I do need to hear it. I've also considered health law and more international trade law (I speak multiple languages). I've spoken with every contact in the law field I have there who have said that Loyola might be enough for the larger firms. I don't really have an option of waiting or retaking at this point, but am willing to do pretty much anything else. I looked extensively at all of the ABA disclosures and though I know employment figures tend to be overstated, it did have about 20-30% in the larger firms, though of course I don't know their positions.

I really think you should take some time considering what you want to do. You will not get international trade law from any of these schools, no matter how many languages you speak. People at Harvard don't get those jobs. You need to be comfortable working in a small firm in Chicago or being a local DA making 40k a year. If those outcomes aren't what you want, you need to either change your career goals or change the schools. In this case, you need to change your school. The way to do that is to retake. Listen, I came to this site and was told to retake and I hated it. I didn't listen, put down a deposit. But finally I decided to listen, went from a low 160s score to a high 170s, now at a t10 school being paid for by scholarship. I didn't have a great undergrad GPA. What I did do was listen. If you want anything smelling like a large firm, it is too much of a risk to go to any of these schools. If loyola gives you a 10% chance, are you willing to pay 100k+ for a 10% chance to even get the job you want? I hope the answer is no. You have much better odds going to vegas and putting 100k down on black. In fact, your odds are almost 5 times HIGHER doing that!

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:Hello, I've been accepted to Loyola, DePaul and John Marshall in Chicago. Loyola gave 20k a year, DePaul 30k a year and John Marshall full tuition. I also have been given 30k/yr at Syracuse and 27500/yr at Santa Clara, though I would prefer to be in Chicago. All of the scholarships only stipulate that I remain in good standing and are non negotiable. My career goals include hopefully big law in IP. My questions are: is the debt worth it at Loyola? What do you think are my best options? And, though I would like to be in Chicago (SO gas a job waiting there), would it be better to be elsewhere? Thank you so much for your time and input!

I'm just kind of lost now. I have many different interests and not much time nor options to retake or wait. My law school advisor hasn't been super helpful and I not sure if the debt will be worth it .

You always have time and options to retake and wait. There is literally no reason why you don't.

irlaxgirl

New

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:

As in entertainment?

So basically, when you applied on LSAC, you checked off every box in the "Interested Areas of Study"

I did check off a lot. I won't lie. I've wanted law school since I was very young and almost every field has held some interest for me. I know that's not super helpful

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:

Completely understandable!

Before making this big decision, I would advise that you find a realistic goal that can be reasonably achieved through your law school options. There's a huge difference between your interests and a realistic career option that you would like to pursue. I think almost everyone going to law school has multiple interests and that's perfectly fine. Who the hell wouldn't want to do entertainment law or be an NBA GM?! But before you decide on a law school just know which ones can be reasonably obtained from the school you're attending.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:16 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:I'm just kind of lost now. I have many different interests and not much time nor options to retake or wait. My law school advisor hasn't been super helpful and I not sure if the debt will be worth it .

If you have a law school advisor, it sounds like you're just about to graduate undegrad. That means that you have years of time to wait and retake. Law school isn't going anywhere, but going to one of these schools (especially at those prices) is suicidal.

irlaxgirl

New

Postby irlaxgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:I don't really have an option of waiting or retaking at this point, but am willing to do pretty much anything else.

Also, LST reports 13% of 2015 grads went to large firms, so I'm not sure where you're getting the 20-30% number. You will not get biglaw from Loyola, and you certainly won't get international trade law.

Apologies, I did overstate. The ABA has it at 18.9 for 100+ firms

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

No, it has it at 13%. 34 students in the class of 2015 went to firms of 101-500+ lawyers. That's 13%.

But this is all a wash, since these are just degrees of terrible chances. You need to take some time off to get work experience and/or live a little bit, then retake.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:35 pm

None of these schools are good options for your goals, full ride or not.

For Chicago, you need Chicago and Northwestern, and if not, at a minimum UIUC on a scholarship.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:51 pm

your career goals dont match at all with your school options. as someone who gives the green light to plenty of people looking at TTTs, you should not do this. happy to discuss more by pm if you have questions.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 pm

irlaxgirl wrote:

Why don't you want to wait? What's the pressing need to go right now? As has been said, these schools wouldn't be awful options per, but seem to be completely inadequate for your goals.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
irlaxgirl wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

No, it has it at 13%. 34 students in the class of 2015 went to firms of 101-500+ lawyers. That's 13%.

Yeah you're doing your math wrong OP.
You need to divide by the total number of graduates (261) and not just those employed in full-time long-term positions (179).

Return to “Choosing a Law School�