(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawyerInPrada

New

Postby LawyerInPrada » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:09 am

Last edited by LawyerInPrada on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Cornell/Retake

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 am

It cant hurt but it's really a crapshoot as to what Cornell would do even if your score increases. If your score goes down, they won't care.

There's been a ton of threads with this same exact question, it would be worth it to check them out!

Ronan

Gold

Postby Ronan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am

LawyerInPrada wrote:Is there any harm in retaking the LSAT in June for scholarship negotiation purposes? If you end up doing worse can the school rescind your acceptance or scholarship?

About me: Never scored as well as I wanted on the LSAT, I got a 167, but was PTing around 172-175 and I have a 3.95 GPA. Something always threw me off my game, but I think now that I'm in law school, I would be a lot less stressed and could probably do around my PT score on the LSAT.

My plan is to see if I can get Cornell to negotiate a little higher to a 120K scholarship, put down a deposit (since I would be comfortable taking on that amount of debt for NYC Big Law), and take the June LSAT. I don't see the downside in this, for the only thing that can happen is if I do better either Cornell would give me more money or I might sit out a year depending on how I do (Im a KJD). Does this sound like a good plan?

If you score above a 170, you should sit out and reapply anyway. So if Cornell doesn't offer you more, that's what you should do.

LawyerInPrada

New

Postby LawyerInPrada » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:15 am

Ronan wrote:
LawyerInPrada wrote:Is there any harm in retaking the LSAT in June for scholarship negotiation purposes? If you end up doing worse can the school rescind your acceptance or scholarship?

About me: Never scored as well as I wanted on the LSAT, I got a 167, but was PTing around 172-175 and I have a 3.95 GPA. Something always threw me off my game, but I think now that I'm in law school, I would be a lot less stressed and could probably do around my PT score on the LSAT.

My plan is to see if I can get Cornell to negotiate a little higher to a 120K scholarship, put down a deposit (since I would be comfortable taking on that amount of debt for NYC Big Law), and take the June LSAT. I don't see the downside in this, for the only thing that can happen is if I do better either Cornell would give me more money or I might sit out a year depending on how I do (Im a KJD). Does this sound like a good plan?

If you score above a 170, you should sit out and reapply anyway. So if Cornell doesn't offer you more, that's what you should do.

So it definitely makes sense to retake then? I figure that I'm under a lot less stress right now since I'm in a law school that I actually want to go to, and I have one more retake left, so I might as well not waste it.

Ronan

Gold

Postby Ronan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

LawyerInPrada wrote:
Ronan wrote:

So it definitely makes sense to retake then? I figure that I'm under a lot less stress right now since I'm in a law school that I actually want to go to, and I have one more retake left, so I might as well not waste it.

Yeah from a purely practice test score/actual score perspective, it makes sense. You under performed and your PT scores & GPA could get you some serious money at higher ranked schools.

And in your current situation, a higher score may get you more $$ at Cornell (I'm not familiar with their admissions/scholarship process however). But in the event that you do raise your score, you should seriously consider sitting out and reapplying.

LawyerInPrada

New

Postby LawyerInPrada » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:43 am

Ronan wrote:
LawyerInPrada wrote:
Ronan wrote:

Yeah from a purely practice test score/actual score perspective, it makes sense. You under performed and your PT scores & GPA could get you some serious money at higher ranked schools.

And in your current situation, a higher score may get you more $$ at Cornell (I'm not familiar with their admissions/scholarship process however). But in the event that you do raise your score, you should seriously consider sitting out and reapplying.

I agree with that. Ideally I want to go to law school next year, but at the same time, if I ended up hitting a 172/173, I think it would definitely be in my best interest to sit out a cycle if my scholarship didn't get increased.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 am

retake for sure.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:45 am

Yeah just put down the deposit and retake in June.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Postby baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:42 pm

if you improve to a 169-170 you might be looking at a full from UVA I believe or close to it with that GPA, not too mention you would have at least a shot at Stanford, and maybe could get into Columbia with some money as well. If you hit 172 or above you might be looking at many top 14 full rides, and if that's the case definitely re-apply. But honestly if I were you, if you hit a 169-170 and Cornell doesn't move you at all you should re-apply unless you love Cornell or have a personal connection, because I think you could get better offers next cycle from schools that can get you to NYC Biglaw at the same rate, and you would be applying earlier next cycle.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:06 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:if you improve to a 169-170 you might be looking at a full from UVA I believe or close to it with that GPA, not too mention you would have at least a shot at Stanford, and maybe could get into Columbia with some money as well. If you hit 172 or above you might be looking at many top 14 full rides, and if that's the case definitely re-apply. But honestly if I were you, if you hit a 169-170 and Cornell doesn't move you at all you should re-apply unless you love Cornell or have a personal connection, because I think you could get better offers next cycle from schools that can get you to NYC Biglaw at the same rate, and you would be applying earlier next cycle.

I agree with all of this. If you score within your average you could be looking at full rides.

Also I'd add that as a K-jd, I really wish I'd taken at least a year or two off, and I think sitting out a cycle would be a good idea regardless of a retake.

Malarkey

New

Postby Malarkey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yeah just put down the deposit and retake in June.

This makes sense. You can always bail on them if you score higher and they don't budge, but this way you're not screwed if you don't get the score. Sounds like you've got a good plan.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:00 am

You'd be dumb not to retake. You're playing with the house's money at this point.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�