Columbia vs. Chicago $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kc794

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby kc794 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi all, and thank you in advance for any input! I'm trying to decide between Columbia and University of Chicago and would love opinions.

I wasn't even considering Chicago until they offered me 75k. I've always wanted to go to Columbia and would really like to be in NYC (I like the city, my friends and bf are there or nearby, I want to work on the east coast, etc.). Rankings are similar (although Columbia's lay prestige is much better) so I think most of the decision is money vs. location. I'm getting a lot of financial help from my parents, but 75k seems hard to turn down.

Thoughts?

curry1

Silver
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby curry1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm

kc794 wrote:Hi all, and thank you in advance for any input! I'm trying to decide between Columbia and University of Chicago and would love opinions.

I wasn't even considering Chicago until they offered me 75k. I've always wanted to go to Columbia and would really like to be in NYC (I like the city, my friends and bf are there or nearby, I want to work on the east coast, etc.). Rankings are similar (although Columbia's lay prestige is much better) so I think most of the decision is money vs. location. I'm getting a lot of financial help from my parents, but 75k seems hard to turn down.

Thoughts?


This depends on how much support your parents are offering you. If they are willing and easily able to pay all of your costs then just go to Columbia. If not, go to Chicago.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Go back to Columbia and ask for more money.
If all things were equal and you were debt financing I'd say go Chicago, but uprooting your pretty established social life doesn't seem ideal.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn

Platinum
Posts: 9320
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 pm

curry1 wrote:
kc794 wrote:Hi all, and thank you in advance for any input! I'm trying to decide between Columbia and University of Chicago and would love opinions.

I wasn't even considering Chicago until they offered me 75k. I've always wanted to go to Columbia and would really like to be in NYC (I like the city, my friends and bf are there or nearby, I want to work on the east coast, etc.). Rankings are similar (although Columbia's lay prestige is much better) so I think most of the decision is money vs. location. I'm getting a lot of financial help from my parents, but 75k seems hard to turn down.

Thoughts?


This depends on how much support your parents are offering you. If they are willing and easily able to pay all of your costs then just go to Columbia. If not, go to Chicago.


Unless your parents are billionaires (and I assume they're not because you're going to law school and you're asking about this) you should treat their money almost as if it's your own. Not only is that the decent thing to do, but it also probably will end up being your money one day.

That all being said, you should negotiate with Columbia (and presumably NYU and Penn if you want to be in the Acela corridor). But I absolutely wouldn't turn down $75k at Chicago to go to Columbia.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn

Platinum
Posts: 9320
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 pm

also, lol:

(although Columbia's lay prestige is much better)

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4641
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby proteinshake » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm

Chicago.

User avatar
RSN

Silver
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby RSN » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Absolutely negotiate with Columbia with the Chicago money. If they won't budge (I'm fairly confident they will), then you should go to Chicago, but if you can get Columbia up to $50k or so, that's probably enough to merit the switch considering your family help.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby dabigchina » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Chicago. 75k buys a lot of plane tickets. Direct flights are like 2 hrs? You could visit every other weekend if you wanted to.

User avatar
landshoes

Silver
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby landshoes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 pm

My pitch for Chicago: I love NYC and I actually love Chicago too, but it's cheaper and so much easier to find housing here and my standard of living is much higher (plus there is still a lot to do when I want to go out, great public transit, really cool bars that are affordable, etc.)

It's also incredibly easy and cheap to get back to NYC from Chicago. I fly back and forth from the East Coast almost every weekend for various reasons, and flying in and out of Chicago is a dream.

That said, if I had a nice and cheap apartment setup that would be convenient to Columbia, I might hang on to that. Not for 75k though.

kc794

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby kc794 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for everyone's responses and input! I'm also know considering Stanford (no $). Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Katherine

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:43 pm

NYC is quite literally the easiest market to "get back to". Chicago will have no problem placing you there and there isn't a social life on the planet that's worth $75K. Go to Chicago...make new friends...it's not cosmic.

(Lay prestige is a hilarious non-factor to include in this analysis so I'll laugh that one off.)
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pragmatic Gun

Silver
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:NYC is quite literally the easiest market to "get back to". Chicago will have no problem placing you there and there isn't a social life on the planet that's worth $75K. Go to Chicago...make new friends...it's not cosmic.

(Lay prestige is a hilarious non-factor to include in this analysis so I'll laugh that one off.)


TITCR

User avatar
BoyJord

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby BoyJord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:23 pm

kc794 wrote:Thanks for everyone's responses and input! I'm also know considering Stanford (no $). Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Katherine


Doesn't change anything with no $$$. Go to Chicago. All of the schools are gonna get you (back) to NYC and one of them is offering it a discount-- not to mention CoL is lower. Easy choice

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Goals?
I'd try to get (more) money out of both Columbia and UChi with a Stanford acceptance but I'm shameless.

At least really push Columbia to budge.

User avatar
existentialcrisis

Bronze
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby existentialcrisis » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Negotiate with ClS. What about NYU?

User avatar
Po$eidon

Bronze
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:42 pm

I had this set of options last year but I withdrew from both as I was elevated at my job. Try to negotiate w/Columbia. Chicago is much friendlier w/money than either NYU or Columbia in my experience but CLS does negotiate w/them. Moving that far from your social life (bf) is hard

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10251
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Columbia comes into play if you get $50k. Negotiate. PM me if you want to discuss.

User avatar
Po$eidon

Bronze
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:12 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:also, lol:

(although Columbia's lay prestige is much better)


Co-signed

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Keep in mind that Columbia's tuition is almost 6K a year more too.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby dm1683 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:06 pm

landshoes wrote:I fly back and forth from the East Coast almost every weekend for various reasons, and flying in and out of Chicago is a dream.

LOL you must fly through midway then.

User avatar
landshoes

Silver
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby landshoes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:23 pm

dm1683 wrote:
landshoes wrote:I fly back and forth from the East Coast almost every weekend for various reasons, and flying in and out of Chicago is a dream.

LOL you must fly through midway then.


yup

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago $$

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:also, lol:

(although Columbia's lay prestige is much better)

git rekt mate



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests