Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Duke
69
68%
Harvard
32
32%
 
Total votes: 101

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10251
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 am

existentialcrisis wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Duke. You probably won't be clerking unless you go to Yale and to bet on H's placement wouldn't be wise imo. If you strike out, you will be close to 300k in debt. If you strike out at Duke, you will still get biglaw and can pay that 75k off in a year if you are really worried about debt.

But, as Gobucks said, don't listen to TLS. Make your own choice based on which you like. I think TLS's opinion is overstated and many of the people here don't give great advice.


I vote Duke, barring a bunch of need based aid. But, the part about betting on clerkship placement seems like nonsense. I'll bet the majority of the HLS class could get an article Iii clerkship if they wanted one. It probably wouldn't be D.C. Circuit or SDNY or something like that, but OP didn't say he wanted a super competitive clerkship.

I do agee with the sentiment in this thread that 0Ls seem too hung up on clerkships though.


The majority of the HLS class could not get a federal article III clerkship

And clerkships don't factor that heavily into this choice

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 am

jbagelboy wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Duke. You probably won't be clerking unless you go to Yale and to bet on H's placement wouldn't be wise imo. If you strike out, you will be close to 300k in debt. If you strike out at Duke, you will still get biglaw and can pay that 75k off in a year if you are really worried about debt.

But, as Gobucks said, don't listen to TLS. Make your own choice based on which you like. I think TLS's opinion is overstated and many of the people here don't give great advice.


I vote Duke, barring a bunch of need based aid. But, the part about betting on clerkship placement seems like nonsense. I'll bet the majority of the HLS class could get an article Iii clerkship if they wanted one. It probably wouldn't be D.C. Circuit or SDNY or something like that, but OP didn't say he wanted a super competitive clerkship.

I do agee with the sentiment in this thread that 0Ls seem too hung up on clerkships though.


The majority of the HLS class could not get a federal article III clerkship

And clerkships don't factor that heavily into this choice


Yeah, I don't know where people are getting the idea that federal clerkships are being handed out to every median student at Harvard. Judges still have cutoffs, because they can afford to be very picky.

grixxlybear99

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby grixxlybear99 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:23 am

I say Harvard.

You want to work Pi/Gov. H offers LRAP and you can enroll in PAYE and then have all of your loans forgiven with PSLF after 10 years.

If you want a clerkship, AUSA, and political office, H is the way to go. If you want private practice, Duke because you'd have to flip the bill.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 am

grixxlybear99 wrote:I say Harvard.

You want to work Pi/Gov. H offers LRAP and you can enroll in PAYE and then have all of your loans forgiven with PSLF after 10 years.

If you want a clerkship, AUSA, and political office, H is the way to go. If you want private practice, Duke because you'd have to flip the bill.


Duke also has an LRAP program, and you're eligible for PSLF no matter where you go to school. I think you might be trying to highlight that Harvard's LRAP isn't dependent on a PSLF payment schedule, and that would be a plus for anyone going to the dedicated PI route.

And it should be noted that no law school is the way to go for political office. If you want to get elected, then go run for office instead of becoming a lawyer.

User avatar
Nacho_Verde

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby Nacho_Verde » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:09 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
And it should be noted that no law school is the way to go for political office. If you want to get elected, then go run for office instead of becoming a lawyer.


But Obama?

User avatar
Stephylynette

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:04 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby Stephylynette » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:I say Harvard.

You want to work Pi/Gov. H offers LRAP and you can enroll in PAYE and then have all of your loans forgiven with PSLF after 10 years.

If you want a clerkship, AUSA, and political office, H is the way to go. If you want private practice, Duke because you'd have to flip the bill.


Duke also has an LRAP program, and you're eligible for PSLF no matter where you go to school. I think you might be trying to highlight that Harvard's LRAP isn't dependent on a PSLF payment schedule, and that would be a plus for anyone going to the dedicated PI route.

And it should be noted that no law school is the way to go for political office. If you want to get elected, then go run for office instead of becoming a lawyer.

Also, I just went to Duke's ASW and FWIW, they explcitiyly said that should PSLF be scrapped, they'd go back to a LRAP that is independent of the federal government. That's what they said but really you can take that with a grain of salt.

shadowfax

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby shadowfax » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 am

Heartfelt condolences on the loss of your parents.

Harvard. Particularly if you feel that through you efforts there you can accomplish your objectives. That sounds pretty simplistic even as I type it. Some people seem stuck on the concept that it is the odds of getting what you want based on class size comparisons. Success is not that random. You can make an informed opinion, by definition not with certainty, as to who is going to do what. Entrance stats, prior accomplishments, work experience all contribute to your chances of success (however you define that). Take law review for example. A lot of TLS analysis would have you look at the number of people on law review and divide by the class size. The reality is that a great number of people don't even try for law review. Write-on is a tremendous time commitment, as is law review itself should you succeed, and many people just know that it is not what they want. Now that I think of it everyone should go to the best small school they can get in because the odds of being editor of law review are really good. It must be a lay up to be the editor of Stanford's Law review, 1 in 170 compared to Harvard 1 in 565. It is a lot more than the odds that come into play. Bet on yourself.

If there are 85 clerkship slots at Harvard it is not that there are 565 people competing for them. Now this is true everywhere but the sheer number of slots works in Harvard's favor. Also class size can work for you. The fact that each year, year after year, Harvard places large numbers into great situations, creates a network that is in a league of its own.

Look at your own situation. If you feel that you could thrive in Cambridge then go. Yes it is worth is extra cost.

Good news...you can not go wrong. Duke with a Mordecai is an incredible opportunity and you will thrive there if that is your choice. Best of luck.

User avatar
quiver

Silver
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby quiver » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

shadowfax wrote:Heartfelt condolences on the loss of your parents.

Harvard. Particularly if you feel that through you efforts there you can accomplish your objectives. That sounds pretty simplistic even as I type it. Some people seem stuck on the concept that it is the odds of getting what you want based on class size comparisons. Success is not that random. You can make an informed opinion, by definition not with certainty, as to who is going to do what. Entrance stats, prior accomplishments, work experience all contribute to your chances of success (however you define that). Take law review for example. A lot of TLS analysis would have you look at the number of people on law review and divide by the class size. The reality is that a great number of people don't even try for law review. Write-on is a tremendous time commitment, as is law review itself should you succeed, and many people just know that it is not what they want. Now that I think of it everyone should go to the best small school they can get in because the odds of being editor of law review are really good. It must be a lay up to be the editor of Stanford's Law review, 1 in 170 compared to Harvard 1 in 565. It is a lot more than the odds that come into play. Bet on yourself.

If there are 85 clerkship slots at Harvard it is not that there are 565 people competing for them. Now this is true everywhere but the sheer number of slots works in Harvard's favor. Also class size can work for you. The fact that each year, year after year, Harvard places large numbers into great situations, creates a network that is in a league of its own.

Look at your own situation. If you feel that you could thrive in Cambridge then go. Yes it is worth is extra cost.

Good news...you can not go wrong. Duke with a Mordecai is an incredible opportunity and you will thrive there if that is your choice. Best of luck.
Pretty much disagree with all of this. Everyone going into HLS will have similar stats and "prior accomplishments". Even if some people self-select out of law review and clerkships, there is no way of knowing, as a 0L, where you'll fall within the people competing for those things. Judges aren't doling out clerkships (let alone "prestigious" ones) to anyone at HLS that wants one. I'll reiterate that I don't think the focus should be on federal clerkships.

My vote remains with Duke.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am

Nacho_Verde wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
And it should be noted that no law school is the way to go for political office. If you want to get elected, then go run for office instead of becoming a lawyer.


But Obama?


But when did he graduate? But the advent of MPP programs? But law school is for people who want to be lawyers?

User avatar
OneHandedEconomist

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:28 am

Congrats on amazing options, OP.

I vote Duke. I just made a similar decision, and I think we naturally overrate the benefits of prestige and underrate the value of money when making these decisions. Will Harvard make it easier for you to accomplish your goals at the margins? Sure. But the employment outcomes just aren't that different. The price difference, however, will end up being 300k+ when all is said and done. Think about having that money, how much freedom and autonomy that gives you. Think about the QOL difference for the first 10 years of your career. Think about having the ability to say fuck it and join the circus. You have won the lottery-- don't give away the ticket.

User avatar
eileenbae

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby eileenbae » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm

I'd just like to take a sec and say thank you again to everyone who has posted and offered their thoughts. I will be visiting Harvard & Duke, then making a decision after the fact.

As I enter law school in my late 20's, I think now more than ever I'm really considering the effects of debt on me, my partner, and our future children (hopefully). At the same time, I'd like to not wake up a decade from now and regret not taking a gamble on what seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to compete with some of the very "best".

Not sure if current law students/alum peruse these threads but I'd love to chat with people who have made similar decisions. Do you have any regrets? Please PM or comment.

User avatar
quiver

Silver
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby quiver » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:19 pm

eileenbae wrote:I'd just like to take a sec and say thank you again to everyone who has posted and offered their thoughts. I will be visiting Harvard & Duke, then making a decision after the fact.

As I enter law school in my late 20's, I think now more than ever I'm really considering the effects of debt on me, my partner, and our future children (hopefully). At the same time, I'd like to not wake up a decade from now and regret not taking a gamble on what seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to compete with some of the very "best".

Not sure if current law students/alum peruse these threads but I'd love to chat with people who have made similar decisions. Do you have any regrets? Please PM or comment.
Many of those who already weighed in, including myself, are alumni. Some faced your situation, and others didn't (I certainly didn't), but a lot of us know what it's like to live with a ton of debt, day in and day out. It's not pleasant, even if you achieve everything you set out to do.

Feel free to PM if you want.

WheninLaw

Silver
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:23 pm

I think this will be one of those recurring threads where the vast majority of alumni say Duke, while 0L's and law students say Harvard.

Duke, without question.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.

lawlorbust

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby lawlorbust » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:55 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.


This seems overly defensive.

Duke is a good school. Harvard is obviously better. Better enough? Who knows. (Probably not, IMO.) But being able to avoid the butthurt "we're just as good as everyone" chip-on-the-shoulder / oversensitivity is certainly one reason to pick the better-ranked school.

shadowfax

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby shadowfax » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.


The history of Duke basketball renders this statement false.

User avatar
OneHandedEconomist

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:03 pm

OP, feel free to PM me. I made more or less the exact same decision, and have never regretted it for a moment. There are so few situations where going to Harvard over Duke would drastically change your career outcome, but there are 100% of situations where not having 300k of debt would increase your happiness/freedom/QOL.

User avatar
eileenbae

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby eileenbae » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:09 pm

shadowfax wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.


The history of Duke basketball renders this statement false.


:lol:

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn

Platinum
Posts: 9320
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:16 pm

quiver wrote:
shadowfax wrote:Heartfelt condolences on the loss of your parents.

Harvard. Particularly if you feel that through you efforts there you can accomplish your objectives. That sounds pretty simplistic even as I type it. Some people seem stuck on the concept that it is the odds of getting what you want based on class size comparisons. Success is not that random. You can make an informed opinion, by definition not with certainty, as to who is going to do what. Entrance stats, prior accomplishments, work experience all contribute to your chances of success (however you define that). Take law review for example. A lot of TLS analysis would have you look at the number of people on law review and divide by the class size. The reality is that a great number of people don't even try for law review. Write-on is a tremendous time commitment, as is law review itself should you succeed, and many people just know that it is not what they want. Now that I think of it everyone should go to the best small school they can get in because the odds of being editor of law review are really good. It must be a lay up to be the editor of Stanford's Law review, 1 in 170 compared to Harvard 1 in 565. It is a lot more than the odds that come into play. Bet on yourself.

If there are 85 clerkship slots at Harvard it is not that there are 565 people competing for them. Now this is true everywhere but the sheer number of slots works in Harvard's favor. Also class size can work for you. The fact that each year, year after year, Harvard places large numbers into great situations, creates a network that is in a league of its own.

Look at your own situation. If you feel that you could thrive in Cambridge then go. Yes it is worth is extra cost.

Good news...you can not go wrong. Duke with a Mordecai is an incredible opportunity and you will thrive there if that is your choice. Best of luck.
Pretty much disagree with all of this. Everyone going into HLS will have similar stats and "prior accomplishments". Even if some people self-select out of law review and clerkships, there is no way of knowing, as a 0L, where you'll fall within the people competing for those things. Judges aren't doling out clerkships (let alone "prestigious" ones) to anyone at HLS that wants one. I'll reiterate that I don't think the focus should be on federal clerkships.

My vote remains with Duke.


It actually might be the worst post I've ever read on TLS outside of the first line.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:20 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.

Dude, you need to chill. The OP never said anything like that and this has been a pretty civil, thoughtful thread as these threads go. Don't derail that.

shadowfax

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby shadowfax » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:22 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
quiver wrote:
shadowfax wrote:Heartfelt condolences on the loss of your parents.

Harvard. Particularly if you feel that through you efforts there you can accomplish your objectives. That sounds pretty simplistic even as I type it. Some people seem stuck on the concept that it is the odds of getting what you want based on class size comparisons. Success is not that random. You can make an informed opinion, by definition not with certainty, as to who is going to do what. Entrance stats, prior accomplishments, work experience all contribute to your chances of success (however you define that). Take law review for example. A lot of TLS analysis would have you look at the number of people on law review and divide by the class size. The reality is that a great number of people don't even try for law review. Write-on is a tremendous time commitment, as is law review itself should you succeed, and many people just know that it is not what they want. Now that I think of it everyone should go to the best small school they can get in because the odds of being editor of law review are really good. It must be a lay up to be the editor of Stanford's Law review, 1 in 170 compared to Harvard 1 in 565. It is a lot more than the odds that come into play. Bet on yourself.

If there are 85 clerkship slots at Harvard it is not that there are 565 people competing for them. Now this is true everywhere but the sheer number of slots works in Harvard's favor. Also class size can work for you. The fact that each year, year after year, Harvard places large numbers into great situations, creates a network that is in a league of its own.

Look at your own situation. If you feel that you could thrive in Cambridge then go. Yes it is worth is extra cost.

Good news...you can not go wrong. Duke with a Mordecai is an incredible opportunity and you will thrive there if that is your choice. Best of luck.
Pretty much disagree with all of this. Everyone going into HLS will have similar stats and "prior accomplishments". Even if some people self-select out of law review and clerkships, there is no way of knowing, as a 0L, where you'll fall within the people competing for those things. Judges aren't doling out clerkships (let alone "prestigious" ones) to anyone at HLS that wants one. I'll reiterate that I don't think the focus should be on federal clerkships.

My vote remains with Duke.


It actually might be the worst post I've ever read on TLS outside of the first line.


i was going to respond but then i checked out your most recent posts. Party on Garth. A unicorn killed my girlfriend?

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.

Dude, you need to chill. The OP never said anything like that and this has been a pretty civil, thoughtful thread as these threads go. Don't derail that.

if you read no chill in my statement then reevaluate. Maybe ill initiate my post with my tone. Dont care about op's comments personally, but its stupid to say H students are the best, when they can't even hold themselves up in the rankings. Also self-deprecating if op ends up at duke. But lol at anyone actually giving a shit about a comment on this site re: school opinion, especially from 0Ls.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:01 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.

Dude, you need to chill. The OP never said anything like that and this has been a pretty civil, thoughtful thread as these threads go. Don't derail that.

if you read no chill in my statement then reevaluate. Maybe ill initiate my post with my tone. Dont care about op's comments personally, but its stupid to say H students are the best, when they can't even hold themselves up in the rankings. Also self-deprecating if op ends up at duke. But lol at anyone actually giving a shit about a comment on this site re: school opinion, especially from 0Ls.

Pretty sure this post isn't making you look any more chill about this whole thing. Also think you might be mixing up OP with shadowfax? OP never said Harvard students are the best (whereas shadowfax is being predictably insufferable about Harvard).

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.

Dude, you need to chill. The OP never said anything like that and this has been a pretty civil, thoughtful thread as these threads go. Don't derail that.

if you read no chill in my statement then reevaluate. Maybe ill initiate my post with my tone. Dont care about op's comments personally, but its stupid to say H students are the best, when they can't even hold themselves up in the rankings. Also self-deprecating if op ends up at duke. But lol at anyone actually giving a shit about a comment on this site re: school opinion, especially from 0Ls.

Pretty sure this post isn't making you look any more chill about this whole thing. Also think you might be mixing up OP with shadowfax? OP never said Harvard students are the best (whereas shadowfax is being predictably insufferable about Harvard).


Nah it was op. I did misread the comment slightly, but not enough to justify withdrawing.

User avatar
Nacho_Verde

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Re: Duke (Mordecai) v. Harvard

Postby Nacho_Verde » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Sorry us poor Duke students aren't good enough for you op. You should go to Harvard, because we don't like assholes down here.


Says one of the biggest antagonist on TLS.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests