Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Iowa or Notre Dame?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:38 am

Iowa (Full Scholarship)
7
44%
Notre Dame (2/3)
9
56%
 
Total votes: 16

AmHighway7242

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:53 am

Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby AmHighway7242 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:38 am

I have a full ride from Iowa and 2/3 from Notre Dame. I've calculated that it'll cost (on the high side, not including interest) 50K at Iowa over the three years, and 120k+ at ND. I really like ND, but I'm trying to justify the extra cost. My interests, even for an 0L, are too broad for my own taste. I can see myself in business litigation, government work (as a prosecutor), or joining one of the JAG Corps. And deadlines are coming, so "retake until HYS" ain't much of an option.

Also, I'm a midwesterner, but don't necessarily want to work in Iowa. How is Iowa's employment outside of the state?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5069
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:46 am

If I'm reading your interests correctly, then you want biglaw, AUSA (you didn't specify locality, so that's why I assume federal), and/or JAG. The last one is a bit of an odd choice, since it doesn't sound like you have military experience, and JAG is a very different experience than other government offices.

But that aside, neither of these schools have real national reach, and neither of them set you up particularly well for those career tracks. Retaking may not be an option that would help you with admissions this cycle, but if I've correctly interpreted your career goals, you should retake/reapply next cycle. What's your current LSAT/GPA?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:29 am

If retake/reapply isn't an option, I'd take Iowa and reconcile myself to living in Iowa for the foreseeable.

Notre Dame isn't defensible at 120K COA given your goals. Iowa could be...it's a good school and at a reasonable price point but you're going to be geographically constrained by its "regional-ness". So, get comfortable with that if you want to go to school this year. If you can't mentally "square that circle", reevaluate.

AmHighway7242

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:53 am

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby AmHighway7242 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Is there a particular reason Iowa is perpetually around #20 on USNWR? I'm not relying on rankings, but I am curious.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:28 pm

AmHighway7242 wrote:Is there a particular reason Iowa is perpetually around #20 on USNWR? I'm not relying on rankings, but I am curious.

viewtopic.php?p=9844699#p9844699

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Could you talk about your tastes a little more? They aren't broad as much as they're just unclear. Does business litigation mean biglaw or any kind of litigation involving a business? Prosecutor could be AUSA or ADA.

User avatar
Pomeranian

Bronze
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:42 pm

It's going to be difficult to pay back 120K+ from the average outcome at ND.

AmHighway7242

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:53 am

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby AmHighway7242 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:12 pm

guybourdin wrote:Could you talk about your tastes a little more? They aren't broad as much as they're just unclear. Does business litigation mean biglaw or any kind of litigation involving a business? Prosecutor could be AUSA or ADA.


Biglaw and AUSAO. Also want to pursue a federal clerkship.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:16 pm

AmHighway7242 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Could you talk about your tastes a little more? They aren't broad as much as they're just unclear. Does business litigation mean biglaw or any kind of litigation involving a business? Prosecutor could be AUSA or ADA.

Biglaw and AUSAO. Also want to pursue a federal clerkship.

You either need to come up with a more modest Plan B you're comfortable with, retake, or don't go.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 pm

But if you insist on going, I'm gonna vote Notre Dame. The price is high for my personal comfort but there's a 40% shot at your goals out of there instead of the 20% at Iowa.

If you aren't comfortable with a small firm or more local level prosecution, then I highly suggest you consider retaking or not going.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm voting Iowa because it feeds until both Chicago and KC

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby Johann » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 am

Pomeranian wrote:It's going to be difficult to pay back 120K+ from the average outcome at ND.


Not really. standard repayment is under 1,000/month and PAYE payment is less than 10% of income.

Iowa is fine and the price is right, but if you're gonna regret the decision and have what ifs, you have to go notre dame.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5069
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Iowa (Full Scholarship) vs. Notre Dame (2/3)

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 am

Johann wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:It's going to be difficult to pay back 120K+ from the average outcome at ND.


Not really. standard repayment is under 1,000/month and PAYE payment is less than 10% of income.

Iowa is fine and the price is right, but if you're gonna regret the decision and have what ifs, you have to go notre dame.


They were likely referring to a 10-year plan, where the standard payment is over $1,000 a month for $120k+ debt (closer to $1,500). On a $45k salary, that's over a third of the salary going to loans, and it's still over a quarter of a $60k salary. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you'd need a second person (without debt) to help pay for anything except a studio apartment in a bad part of town.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Johnnybgoode92 and 12 guests