Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nero21

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby Nero21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Hey all, so I've been accepted to UMiami law with a very generous scholarship, at almost full tuition. I am also from South Florida so I wouldn't have to pay rent as I would live with my family. I have also been accepted by Fordham law with a $15,000 scholarship renewable for all 3 years. Waitlisted at UChicago, Vandy, Washington in St. Louis, and Emory. I haven't heard from a lot of schools yet so I'll update if they get back to me but I just wanted to know if Fordham is a better choice than Miami considering the COA and COL of New York. Also my interests are international law and public interest law but I know that I would need a big law salary to help pay off my debts. As for where I want to live and practice, essentially anywhere but Florida if I can help it. Thanks for your help guys!

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 pm

None of these sound good. At first I was thinking Miami until you said you want to practice anywhere but Florida.

Fordham is too expensive though.

Nero21

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby Nero21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Rigo wrote:None of these sound good. At first I was thinking Miami until you said you want to practice anywhere but Florida.

Fordham is too expensive though.



Even the waitlisted options are bad too? or are you just not considering them cause its a toss up if I get in? Would going to Miami for 1L and then try to transfer out be a viable option then?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Nero21 wrote:
Rigo wrote:None of these sound good. At first I was thinking Miami until you said you want to practice anywhere but Florida.

Fordham is too expensive though.



Even the waitlisted options are bad too? or are you just not considering them cause its a toss up if I get in? Would going to Miami for 1L and then try to transfer out be a viable option then?

They'd be at sticker if you got off so still the too expensive criticism.

User avatar
Metapod

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby Metapod » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Nero21 wrote:Hey all, so I've been accepted to UMiami law with a very generous scholarship, at almost full tuition. I am also from South Florida so I wouldn't have to pay rent as I would live with my family. I have also been accepted by Fordham law with a $15,000 scholarship renewable for all 3 years. Waitlisted at UChicago, Vandy, Washington in St. Louis, and Emory. I haven't heard from a lot of schools yet so I'll update if they get back to me but I just wanted to know if Fordham is a better choice than Miami considering the COA and COL of New York. Also my interests are international law and public interest law but I know that I would need a big law salary to help pay off my debts. As for where I want to live and practice, essentially anywhere but Florida if I can help it. Thanks for your help guys!


Would you mind PMing me your stats? I'm in somewhat of a similar situation but I'm thinking Fordham is too expensive.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Everything about your pursuit of law school is all over the map. Do you want Biglaw or PI? Why apply to Miami if you want anything other than (south) Florida employment? What does it even mean to be interested in Constitutional Law or Public Interest law?

All of your options are bad for your general goals presented here, to include taking on $300k for UChicago if they ever accepted you off the waitlist (realize that schools on this tier tend to just waitlist people as a soft rejection as opposed to outright rejecting. With their pedigree, they don't have to worry about signaling to candidates).

Your best case scenario is spending way too much money for a job you don't even want. Your worst case is taking on debt for the job you want that doesn't exist.

Reconcile your goals first, then approach which schools will give you a chance at those goals.

Nero21

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby Nero21 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am

UVA2B wrote:Everything about your pursuit of law school is all over the map. Do you want Biglaw or PI? Why apply to Miami if you want anything other than (south) Florida employment? What does it even mean to be interested in Constitutional Law or Public Interest law?

All of your options are bad for your general goals presented here, to include taking on $300k for UChicago if they ever accepted you off the waitlist (realize that schools on this tier tend to just waitlist people as a soft rejection as opposed to outright rejecting. With their pedigree, they don't have to worry about signaling to candidates).

Your best case scenario is spending way too much money for a job you don't even want. Your worst case is taking on debt for the job you want that doesn't exist.

Reconcile your goals first, then approach which schools will give you a chance at those goals.


Sorry for my indecisiveness. Big law is what I want but my father was the equivalent of a public interest lawyer in his home country so thats why I said I was interested in that type/field of law. I only applied to UM because my family asked me to and UM Law had rejected one of my older siblings who is very intelligent so they all told me to try because they were not sure I would get in. They also believe that I would do well at UM and have the ability to go elsewhere when I left. I don't know if that belief of theirs is legitimate and they may only be saying that to keep me at home for another 3 years. Hope that helps clear up any confusion!
Last edited by Nero21 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19697
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Fordham vs Miami vs Possible Others

Postby Johann » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:13 am

Not gonna get biglaw from any of your acceptances. There's no such thing as international law. Retake until you find pushing the paperwork behind bundling a bunch of car loan financing interesting.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests