BC or William and Mary

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
camden44

New

BC or William and Mary

Postby camden44 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:00 pm

I want to do Constitutional Law or federal government in DC... Soooooo William and Mary at a full ride plus a fellowship or Boston College with $28,000 a year in scholarship?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Re: BC or William and Mary

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:44 am

Please explain further what you mean by con law. If you're talking high level appellate work, neither of these options will likely get you to that unicorn on the other side of the rainbow.

vcap180

Bronze

Postby vcap180 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:Please explain further what you mean by con law. If you're talking high level appellate work, neither of these options will likely get you to that unicorn on the other side of the rainbow.

High-level con law? Where is that work even done, aside from SCOTUS?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 pm

vcap180 wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:Please explain further what you mean by con law. If you're talking high level appellate work, neither of these options will likely get you to that unicorn on the other side of the rainbow.

Exactly why I asked for more info. OP's goal there doesn't really make sense. The odds of ever actually arguing a con issue are so small you might as well be buying lottery tickets.

vcap180

Bronze

Postby vcap180 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
vcap180 wrote:

Exactly why I asked for more info. OP's goal there doesn't really make sense. The odds of ever actually arguing a con issue are so small you might as well be buying lottery tickets.

Yeah, of all the unicorns in the legal field (sports agent, sweet boutique gigs, high level PI, etc) I would imagine that this is the single rarest breed.

timbs4339

Gold

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:23 pm

vcap180 wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
vcap180 wrote:

Yeah, of all the unicorns in the legal field (sports agent, sweet boutique gigs, high level PI, etc) I would imagine that this is the single rarest breed.

The Supreme Court bar is insanely tiny and very incestuous. It is typically made up of former SCOTUS clerks or the same 5 people from the same biglaw firms who brief all the appeals. There's always a bunch of amici filed along with every major case by biglaw firms partnering with random advocacy organizations.

There are also organizations like the ALCU and a few others that do impact litigation, a handful of elite civil rights firms, and the DOJ. Obviously, all require amazing credentials and it's very hard to work there.

There are many many lawyers, however, who do constitutional law for a living. They are called public defenders and District Attorneys. They don't get paid a lot out of law school (think 40-60K depending on city), they have a ton of cases most of which are not glamorous or particularly interesting, and their clients aren't sophisticated. But they argue constitutional law every single day.

When most people talk about conlaw, they talk about the former not the last one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�