FIU(full ride) vs UF(full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

New

FIU(full ride) vs UF(full ride)

Postby 20170329 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Last edited by 20170329 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Ass Truman

New

Re: FIU(full ride) vs UF(full ride)

Postby Harry Ass Truman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 pm

20170329 wrote:I currently attend FIU, therefore, I already have many connections here in South Florida. Both of these schools offered me full tuition scholarships. Both are in Florida which works best for me since I don't believe I can afford living out of state right now. However, I know that UF law is ranked higher than FIU law. Other than the ranking, I haven't been able to find much that sways me toward UF over FIU. I have heard that if it isn't a T14 school being tier 1 isn't necessarily better. If there is any information which you can provide regarding either school please let me know!

Do you only want Miami or Florida in general? I would say UF because super cheap COL, better school, incredible networking school, FL Supreme Court does stuff there, etc.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:09 pm

This is literally the easiest one of these to answer ever. UF and its not even close.

Harvard_Naw

New

Postby Harvard_Naw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 pm

grades?? wrote:This is literally the easiest one of these to answer ever. UF and its not even close.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:24 pm

UF

New

Postby 20170329 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Last edited by 20170329 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

New

Postby 20170329 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Last edited by 20170329 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 pm

20170329 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:
20170329 wrote:I currently attend FIU, therefore, I already have many connections here in South Florida. Both of these schools offered me full tuition scholarships. Both are in Florida which works best for me since I don't believe I can afford living out of state right now. However, I know that UF law is ranked higher than FIU law. Other than the ranking, I haven't been able to find much that sways me toward UF over FIU. I have heard that if it isn't a T14 school being tier 1 isn't necessarily better. If there is any information which you can provide regarding either school please let me know!

Do you only want Miami or Florida in general? I would say UF because super cheap COL, better school, incredible networking school, FL Supreme Court does stuff there, etc.

I personally want to just stay in Florida. My parent however are elderly and are also going to have to help pay for a lot of my expenses. They hate UF with a passion simply because of its history as a party school here in Florida. Plus they have grown to like FIU since I have attended here.

Even if the undergrad is known as a party school, law students will be removed from it. It will be a very insular community.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 pm

20170329 wrote:
grades?? wrote:This is literally the easiest one of these to answer ever. UF and its not even close.

You would think so but my financial situation relies heavily upon my parents. They don't like UF so I would need something concrete to convince them that going to UF is truly the better opportunity. Nobody else in my family has gone to school so decisions like these aren't as easy when you are trying to convince people who are ignorant of the process.

Jeez. Just show them this.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/florida/

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/fiu/

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 pm

20170329 wrote:

You would think so but my financial situation relies heavily upon my parents. They don't like UF so I would need something concrete to convince them that going to UF is truly the better opportunity. Nobody else in my family has gone to school so decisions like these aren't as easy when you are trying to convince people who are ignorant of the process.

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/fiu/florida/
Talk about the difference in employment score. You have a better shot at walking out of UF as a practicing lawyer.

E: scooped

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Also no offense, but time to be an adult. There's a difference between listening to input and allowing them to dictate your life.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Rigo wrote:Also no offense, but time to be an adult. There's a difference between listening to input and allowing them to dictate your life.

+1

New

Postby 20170329 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Last edited by 20170329 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Ass Truman

New

Postby Harry Ass Truman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Rigo wrote:
20170329 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:

I personally want to just stay in Florida. My parent however are elderly and are also going to have to help pay for a lot of my expenses. They hate UF with a passion simply because of its history as a party school here in Florida. Plus they have grown to like FIU since I have attended here.

Even if the undergrad is known as a party school, law students will be removed from it. It will be a very insular community.

^
Last edited by Harry Ass Truman on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Florida Atlantic University has a law school? :shock:

Harry Ass Truman

New

Postby Harry Ass Truman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:55 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Florida Atlantic University has a law school? :shock:

FIU = Florida International University

timbs4339

Gold

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Look, you need to do what is best for your career. If you are serious about being a lawyer, UF for free is far and away the better choice.

It's hard enough overcoming your own biases. Overcoming the biases of baby boomers who think that anyone who gets into law school walks out with a great job and that crap they see on TV about "party schools" is how their kid should be making major life decisions is not task you need to take on. Time to cut the cord.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 am

20170329 wrote:
Rigo wrote:Also no offense, but time to be an adult. There's a difference between listening to input and allowing them to dictate your life.

I take no offense. However, like I said full ride or not my parents will be paying for a lot of the COL so its a respect thing.

So politely decline their offer and take out loans. That solves the "respect thing" and it keeps your parents from hurting your career before it even starts.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:02 am

20170329 wrote:

I'd make a few points to them:
1. UF's undergrad being a party school is irrelevant because the law school isn't part of main campus. It has its own part of campuses with its own library, resources, and classrooms.

2. At law schools like UF and FIU, the perception of the school in the state of Florida and the alumni network are the two important things for finding jobs after graduation. UF is perceived by lawyers in the state of Florida as the best law school in the state. UF also has the strongest alumni base in the state. Thus, UF offers better job opportunities and a degree that will be looked upon more favorably in the state of Florida.

3. The cost of living in Gainesville is cheaper. You get a better degree for a cheaper cost.

4. The statistics support the perception that UF is a better law school. Your odds of getting a good job are better at UF than FIU.

5. If your parents still won't support your decision, take out loans for the cost of living. It's really not that much debt, and if you get a SA that pays well, you might be able to pay off all your loans before you graduate (if that's what you want to do).

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:07 am

Rigo wrote:
20170329 wrote:

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/fiu/florida/
Talk about the difference in employment score. You have a better shot at walking out of UF as a practicing lawyer.

E: scooped

I should also point out that those numbers are actually misleading to some degree that would only make UF a better option. UF's underemployment score is realistically closer to around 10% because a lot of UF students go directly to UF's Tax LLM program. And from what I understand, students do quite well coming out of the LLM program in terms of jobs. So the students going to the Tax LLM count as underemployed but end up being employed once they graduate. I know a handful of people who turned down jobs to go into the LLM program because they want to work in tax.

beforethelaw

New

Postby beforethelaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:18 am

20170329 wrote:

I take no offense. However, like I said full ride or not my parents will be paying for a lot of the COL so its a respect thing.

Can I ask why your parents want you to go to FIU? And what arguments do you think they're most likely to be receptive to?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�