Which school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Yale, Harvard, Michigan?

Michigan
1
1%
Yale
56
69%
Harvard
3
4%
NYU
21
26%
 
Total votes: 81

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Which school?

Postby Alexandros » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:30 pm

I (and probably many others) voted Yale before NYU was an option. Not super clear on what your goals are, but if generic BL NYU would be the right call. If Yale goals, definitely Yale.

Also, I'm assuming you're taking into account the difference in CoL NYC vs New Haven here in debt-level calculations, but that's definitely something that should be considered if not.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17150
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Which school?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Is Yale definitely ahead of Harvard for someone who wants non-NYC biglaw? I'm not even sure. Remember Fenwick doesn't even attend Yale's OCI.

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby TAD » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:How are you getting these debt numbers? Y and H will reduce need based aid if you make good money during the summer so keep that in mind. I'd probably save the money and go to NYU but I can understand picking Harvard or Yale. NYU makes even more sense if you have ties to CA.


Ya I called Yale and they told me they reduce it dollar for dollar based on what I make during the summer, excluding $7500. I did not include any summer job in my debt calculation cause NYU reduces the award by 15k as well if I work. Also, this includes some money that my brother is giving (don't have to pay back) me.

Also, realized this morning that NYU put their 2016-17 COA on my award and won't release the COA for 17/18 until June so COA is prolly a bit higher, depending how much higher they raised tuition. If their COA increases by as much as Columbia's did I'm probably looking at closer to 50k debt.
Last edited by TAD on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

defunct

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby defunct » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm in almost exactly this boat but with slightly more aversion to NYC biglaw. I think Yale at this price point is a pretty fantastic deal. I would be headed to NYU if I were paying sticker, but I'm definitely going to Yale since getting my aid package. My friends at NYU agree with this decision, but that's a small sample size.

Relevant for me was (not necessarily in order) 1) clerkship placement 2) more appealing academic environment and curriculum 3) genuine preference for New Haven 4) The debatably large advantage for national placement 5) better LRAP since I'd be in debt either way and my COL debt would be bigger than yours from NYU. I'm a 0L who hasn't lived to regret it yet though, so don't take my advice as anything more than the perspective of someone facing the same choice. NYU is a great option, I doubt anyone would disagree with that.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Pure Applesauce » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:Like I get dropping Y bombs or whatever. But Yale isn't going to get the OP any closer to running the Phoenix Coyotes than NYU will. The OP doesn't actually really and truly want to be an academic either (or at least it doesn't sound like it).

There's no point paying a bunch more for Yale if the OP is just going to be some nameless faceless Skadden LA drone.

IMHO


I am with Zuck on this. Yale is obviously a great option, but if you are just going to do Cali big law, then you might as well save $100k in the meantime. I would pick NYU

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby TAD » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Like I get dropping Y bombs or whatever. But Yale isn't going to get the OP any closer to running the Phoenix Coyotes than NYU will. The OP doesn't actually really and truly want to be an academic either (or at least it doesn't sound like it).

There's no point paying a bunch more for Yale if the OP is just going to be some nameless faceless Skadden LA drone.

IMHO


I am with Zuck on this. Yale is obviously a great option, but if you are just going to do Cali big law, then you might as well save $100k in the meantime. I would pick NYU


Fair enough. I'm leaning NYU right now too, but only by a bit. I just have one question, and anyone can feel free to answer it. From what I've read, and all the different "choosing a law school threads", is it ever worth it to take Y, H or S with max aid - as is my situation - over a cheaper t13 option for a private sector legal job? Because seems like they all require going into biglaw for at least a few years first, and most advice pertaining to any goals involving biglaw shifts to the default of taking the cheaper school (granted, the votes on my thread are shifting towards taking Yale, but that could just be because of the Yale is Yale sentiment). Support for Y, H or S with max aid seem predominantly geared towards public interest and or government positions as opposed to private sector positions.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Pure Applesauce » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 pm

TAD wrote:is it ever worth it to take Y, H or S with max aid - as is my situation - over a cheaper t13 option for a private sector legal job?


Sure, as evidenced by this poll before NYU came into the picture. Overwhelming response was it was worth paying $65k more for Yale than Michigan

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby TAD » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:
TAD wrote:is it ever worth it to take Y, H or S with max aid - as is my situation - over a cheaper t13 option for a private sector legal job?


Sure, as evidenced by this poll before NYU came into the picture. Overwhelming response was it was worth paying $65k more for Yale than Michigan


I guess I shoulda have used t6 instead of t13 to ask my question. So, to rephrase, are the difference in private sector outcomes more negligible between YHS and CCN?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5062
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:52 pm

TAD wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
TAD wrote:is it ever worth it to take Y, H or S with max aid - as is my situation - over a cheaper t13 option for a private sector legal job?


Sure, as evidenced by this poll before NYU came into the picture. Overwhelming response was it was worth paying $65k more for Yale than Michigan


I guess I shoulda have used t6 instead of t13 to ask my question. So, to rephrase, are the difference in private sector outcomes more negligible between YHS and CCN?


Yeah. If you want biglaw, you can get it from all of those schools.

gilmoregirlrevival

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:12 am

Postby gilmoregirlrevival » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 pm

..
Last edited by gilmoregirlrevival on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby TAD » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:39 pm

gilmoregirlrevival wrote:If possible, can you deposit at NYU and then go to admitted students program at yale before deciding if you can stomach living in New Haven for 3?


Pretty sure you have to withdraw from all schools you've been accepted to once you deposit. But this isn't my case anyways as I have until May 1st to take NYU's offer, and will be attending ASP at Yale next week.

Anyways, thanks everyone. Seems like the overall consensus is either option is objectively good, but NYU may be slightly better. So i'll probably just end up deciding based on how ASP at Yale goes.

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Which school?

Postby vcap180 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:47 pm

~130k in federal loans for a Yale JD is a steal. You take that option and don't look back.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17150
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Which school?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TAD wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
TAD wrote:is it ever worth it to take Y, H or S with max aid - as is my situation - over a cheaper t13 option for a private sector legal job?


Sure, as evidenced by this poll before NYU came into the picture. Overwhelming response was it was worth paying $65k more for Yale than Michigan


I guess I shoulda have used t6 instead of t13 to ask my question. So, to rephrase, are the difference in private sector outcomes more negligible between YHS and CCN?


Yeah. If you want biglaw, you can get it from all of those schools.

If you want biglaw in a particular location where you have no or limited ties, then it becomes more of a question.

User avatar
Po$eidon

Bronze
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Po$eidon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:04 pm

vcap180 wrote:~130k in federal loans for a Yale JD is a steal. You take that option and don't look back.


This is how I feel too

User avatar
armc808

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby armc808 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:00 pm

vcap180 wrote:~130k in federal loans for a Yale JD is a steal. You take that option and don't look back.

+1



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests