Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawyerInPrada

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 am

Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby LawyerInPrada » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:04 am

I am trying to decide which school to attend and am not really sure which is the best option. I'm from New York, and definitely want to stay in NY after I graduate (ideally NYC Biglaw :roll: ) Financial aid will be a big factor since I'm going to be paying for law school on my own with loans.

I've taken the LSAT twice, and scored considerably below my practice tests both times, but accepted my final score of a 167. I'm not retaking, and want to go straight to law school from undergrad (I'm a senior- 3.95 GPA).

So far, i've been accepted to NYU, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Vanderbilt, and UCLA, but I want to go to a T13 (basically have ruled out UCLA and Vanderbilt). Been waitlisted at a bunch of other T13 and am still waiting on Chicago.

I've received 105K from Cornell, 60K from UVA, and am still waiting on Duke (Doubt i'm going to get anything from NYU). Also received 95K to UCLA and 105 from Vanderbilt. Haven't tried negotiating yet, and am still trying to figure out, which schools I should start with first.

Depending on how much money I receive from Duke, I feel like it would make more sense going to Duke or Cornell. I honestly think I'm leaning towards Cornell because of A) money B)NYC employment C)Close to home. I also went to undergrad upstate, so can "deal" with Ithaca weather (although it would be nice being somewhere warm like Durham)! I think I also need to factor in the higher tuition of Cornell and COL compared to Duke.

I guess I'm more so looking for validation if Cornell would be the right choice for my goals and the best economically speaking. Also any advice on negotiations would be helpful!

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2287
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:10 am

Why do you want to go straight through?

AZ123

New
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby AZ123 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 am

The right choice for your goals (economically speaking) is to retake, even though you don't want to hear that. 2-3 more points (which is like 2 to 3 more correct answers on the LSAT) could earn you over $100k more in scholarship money, since schools like UVA/Cornell/Duke would likely give you a full ride with a 169-170/3.95. Like you, I took the LSAT twice, scoring below my PT averages both times. I sucked it up and took it a third time and raised my score 6 points, which got me a T13 full-ride. I promise you it will be worth it!!!

baseballfan660

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby baseballfan660 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 am

LawyerInPrada wrote:I am trying to decide which school to attend and am not really sure which is the best option. I'm from New York, and definitely want to stay in NY after I graduate (ideally NYC Biglaw :roll: ) Financial aid will be a big factor since I'm going to be paying for law school on my own with loans.

I've taken the LSAT twice, and scored considerably below my practice tests both times, but accepted my final score of a 167. I'm not retaking, and want to go straight to law school from undergrad (I'm a senior- 3.95 GPA).

So far, i've been accepted to NYU, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Vanderbilt, and UCLA, but I want to go to a T13 (basically have ruled out UCLA and Vanderbilt). Been waitlisted at a bunch of other T13 and am still waiting on Chicago.

I've received 105K from Cornell, 60K from UVA, and am still waiting on Duke (Doubt i'm going to get anything from NYU). Also received 95K to UCLA and 105 from Vanderbilt. Haven't tried negotiating yet, and am still trying to figure out, which schools I should start with first.

Depending on how much money I receive from Duke, I feel like it would make more sense going to Duke or Cornell. I honestly think I'm leaning towards Cornell because of A) money B)NYC employment C)Close to home. I also went to undergrad upstate, so can "deal" with Ithaca weather (although it would be nice being somewhere warm like Durham)! I think I also need to factor in the higher tuition of Cornell and COL compared to Duke.

I guess I'm more so looking for validation if Cornell would be the right choice for my goals and the best economically speaking. Also any advice on negotiations would be helpful!

Do you have any clerkship goals ? You don't really seem to want NYC Big Law so what are your long term career goals?

LawyerInPrada

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 am

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby LawyerInPrada » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 am

AZ123 wrote:The right choice for your goals (economically speaking) is to retake, even though you don't want to hear that. 2-3 more points (which is like 2 to 3 more correct answers on the LSAT) could earn you over $100k more in scholarship money, since schools like UVA/Cornell/Duke would likely give you a full ride with a 169-170/3.95. Like you, I took the LSAT twice, scoring below my PT averages both times. I sucked it up and took it a third time and raised my score 6 points, which got me a T13 full-ride. I promise you it will be worth it!!!


I know it theoretically makes sense for me to retake because I do have another shot, but the LSAT was such a stressful annoyance, and I've accepted my score. I get test day anxiety on standardized tests, and something always throws me off, so I would rather not have to put my cycle off a year with only a chance i will improve. Then I would have to reapply, which is also another stressful process. I'm ready to move past it, and while taking off a year to increase my score is a slim option, I ideally want to go to law school next year. I've always wanted to be a lawyer since high school, and undergrad has always just been a step to reaching law school. I don't want to work next year, and would rather just go straight to law school as I have dreamed of for the last 7+ years.

LawyerInPrada

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 am

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby LawyerInPrada » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:35 am

baseballfan660 wrote:
LawyerInPrada wrote:I am trying to decide which school to attend and am not really sure which is the best option. I'm from New York, and definitely want to stay in NY after I graduate (ideally NYC Biglaw :roll: ) Financial aid will be a big factor since I'm going to be paying for law school on my own with loans.

I've taken the LSAT twice, and scored considerably below my practice tests both times, but accepted my final score of a 167. I'm not retaking, and want to go straight to law school from undergrad (I'm a senior- 3.95 GPA).

So far, i've been accepted to NYU, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Vanderbilt, and UCLA, but I want to go to a T13 (basically have ruled out UCLA and Vanderbilt). Been waitlisted at a bunch of other T13 and am still waiting on Chicago.

I've received 105K from Cornell, 60K from UVA, and am still waiting on Duke (Doubt i'm going to get anything from NYU). Also received 95K to UCLA and 105 from Vanderbilt. Haven't tried negotiating yet, and am still trying to figure out, which schools I should start with first.

Depending on how much money I receive from Duke, I feel like it would make more sense going to Duke or Cornell. I honestly think I'm leaning towards Cornell because of A) money B)NYC employment C)Close to home. I also went to undergrad upstate, so can "deal" with Ithaca weather (although it would be nice being somewhere warm like Durham)! I think I also need to factor in the higher tuition of Cornell and COL compared to Duke.

I guess I'm more so looking for validation if Cornell would be the right choice for my goals and the best economically speaking. Also any advice on negotiations would be helpful!

Do you have any clerkship goals ? You don't really seem to want NYC Big Law so what are your long term career goals?


I mean I don't know how long I want to stay in Big Law, but I am willing to sacrifice my life for a couple of years and see how it goes. I am considering clerkships, but don't really know if it would be right for me. I'm still deciding what kind of law I want to go into, and as long as I find something interesting where I'm making money, I would be fine. I like criminal defense a lot, and would maybe do white collar, but also would consider corporate or business related. Don't know how much a clerkship would help with my goals, as I'm not really sure what I want to do.

baseballfan660

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby baseballfan660 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:43 am

LawyerInPrada wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
LawyerInPrada wrote:I am trying to decide which school to attend and am not really sure which is the best option. I'm from New York, and definitely want to stay in NY after I graduate (ideally NYC Biglaw :roll: ) Financial aid will be a big factor since I'm going to be paying for law school on my own with loans.

I've taken the LSAT twice, and scored considerably below my practice tests both times, but accepted my final score of a 167. I'm not retaking, and want to go straight to law school from undergrad (I'm a senior- 3.95 GPA).

So far, i've been accepted to NYU, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Vanderbilt, and UCLA, but I want to go to a T13 (basically have ruled out UCLA and Vanderbilt). Been waitlisted at a bunch of other T13 and am still waiting on Chicago.

I've received 105K from Cornell, 60K from UVA, and am still waiting on Duke (Doubt i'm going to get anything from NYU). Also received 95K to UCLA and 105 from Vanderbilt. Haven't tried negotiating yet, and am still trying to figure out, which schools I should start with first.

Depending on how much money I receive from Duke, I feel like it would make more sense going to Duke or Cornell. I honestly think I'm leaning towards Cornell because of A) money B)NYC employment C)Close to home. I also went to undergrad upstate, so can "deal" with Ithaca weather (although it would be nice being somewhere warm like Durham)! I think I also need to factor in the higher tuition of Cornell and COL compared to Duke.

I guess I'm more so looking for validation if Cornell would be the right choice for my goals and the best economically speaking. Also any advice on negotiations would be helpful!

Do you have any clerkship goals ? You don't really seem to want NYC Big Law so what are your long term career goals?


I mean I don't know how long I want to stay in Big Law, but I am willing to sacrifice my life for a couple of years and see how it goes. I am considering clerkships, but don't really know if it would be right for me. I'm still deciding what kind of law I want to go into, and as long as I find something interesting where I'm making money, I would be fine. I like criminal defense a lot, and would maybe do white collar, but also would consider corporate or business related. Don't know how much a clerkship would help with my goals, as I'm not really sure what I want to do.

hmm well if you are interested in Clerkships UVA is a great spot for you. Honestly from UVA and DUKE you will have a great shot at BIG Law in NYC, if I were you and was already from New York and went to undergrad in New York I would highly consider trying UVA or DUKE to see if you like somewhere else, this is your last chance to really experiment, but both schools should get you in NYC, they are not regional schools. Also, keep in mind after scanning both schools websites assuming you have health insurance already UVA should cost you 5,000 a year less than cornell so its rly like you have 75 from UVA and 105 from Cornell. SO it's a ten thousand a year difference for you keep that in mind,and UVA is regarded as the better school. Also do you have public interest ambitions at all?

User avatar
Lavitz

Gold
Posts: 3402
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby Lavitz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:50 am

As a Cornell alum, I will chime in and say that if you're not going to retake, Cornell at that price would be a fine choice for your goals. I also chose Cornell over NYU, Duke and some others for the same reasons and don't regret it. But if Duke ends up costing about the same, you can just choose whichever you like better. By my calculation, Cornell would still be around 25-30K cheaper than UVA even with the difference in tuition and COL. If you just want to end up back in NYC, I don't think the extra money is worth it.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about Cornell.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:16 am

Lavitz wrote:As a Cornell alum, I will chime in and say that if you're not going to retake, Cornell at that price would be a fine choice for your goals. I also chose Cornell over NYU, Duke and some others for the same reasons and don't regret it. But if Duke ends up costing about the same, you can just choose whichever you like better. By my calculation, Cornell would still be around 25-30K cheaper than UVA even with the difference in tuition and COL. If you just want to end up back in NYC, I don't think the extra money is worth it.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about Cornell.


This. You're talking about marginal differences in outcomes at more cost. Wanting NYC Biglaw with a big scholarship from Cornell puts you in a great place. UVA/Duke/etc. aren't going to place in NYC any better than Cornell will, and you've already fleshed out other reasons to go to Cornell.

Absent bigger scholarships elsewhere, enjoy Ithaca.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Help Me Pick! NYU--- UVA---Cornell--Duke

Postby mjb447 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 am

UVA2B wrote:
Lavitz wrote:As a Cornell alum, I will chime in and say that if you're not going to retake, Cornell at that price would be a fine choice for your goals. I also chose Cornell over NYU, Duke and some others for the same reasons and don't regret it. But if Duke ends up costing about the same, you can just choose whichever you like better. By my calculation, Cornell would still be around 25-30K cheaper than UVA even with the difference in tuition and COL. If you just want to end up back in NYC, I don't think the extra money is worth it.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about Cornell.


This. You're talking about marginal differences in outcomes at more cost. Wanting NYC Biglaw with a big scholarship from Cornell puts you in a great place. UVA/Duke/etc. aren't going to place in NYC any better than Cornell will, and you've already fleshed out other reasons to go to Cornell.

Absent bigger scholarships elsewhere, enjoy Ithaca.

+1. Go Big Red.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sparkytrainer and 10 guests