Harvard v Chicago ($$) v Duke ($$$) v UT ($$$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

H
44%
Chi
27%
Duke
27%
UT
No votes
Reapply
2%

Total votes: 52

carlos_danger

Re: Harvard v Chicago ($$) v Duke ($$$) v UT ($$$$)

Postby carlos_danger » Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

In case anyone is wondering: NYU offered me that 104/120 scholarship they do, Duke offered me 135k after negotiation, and Chicago bumped up their offer to 105k.

This might be crazy but I ended up taking Duke. I visited Chicago's admitted students weekend and hated it. Got a super intense vibe from the students and the faculty, and the administrators kept insisting that "we're a fun school!" in a way that was entirely unconvincing.

I'm from the south, interested in moving to DC or back to Texas after graduating, and really liked what I heard about Durham quality of life. Plus I know chances are I'll end up in biglaw and I think paying off my loans a year earlier will make a material difference in my career trajectory down the line.

I think I drew some short straws this cycle in terms of timing of aid offers and amount of aid offered, but 75% off at a T14 is something I can live with.

grades??

Postby grades?? » Wed May 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Congrats! You will love duke!

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:07 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

VeiledProtectorate

Postby VeiledProtectorate » Thu May 25, 2017 2:05 am

carlos_danger wrote:In case anyone is wondering: NYU offered me that 104/120 scholarship they do, Duke offered me 135k after negotiation, and Chicago bumped up their offer to 105k.

This might be crazy but I ended up taking Duke. I visited Chicago's admitted students weekend and hated it. Got a super intense vibe from the students and the faculty, and the administrators kept insisting that "we're a fun school!" in a way that was entirely unconvincing.

I'm from the south, interested in moving to DC or back to Texas after graduating, and really liked what I heard about Durham quality of life. Plus I know chances are I'll end up in biglaw and I think paying off my loans a year earlier will make a material difference in my career trajectory down the line.

I think I drew some short straws this cycle in terms of timing of aid offers and amount of aid offered, but 75% off at a T14 is something I can live with.

Don't think it's crazy at all. If you were DC-or-bust or fedgov-or-bust you could make an argument for Chicago at 30k more but you don't seem to be either. If you'd be happy with Texas biglaw Duke is the right answer. I certainly don't think you had a cycle poor enough to wait a year, unless you were thinking of doing that for some other reason. Probably just a mix of bad YP luck and some meh softs.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 25, 2017 3:22 pm

I think Duke is a fine choice. I likely would have done Chicago in this matchup, but people exaggerate the differences between these schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”