Scholarship Stipulations Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tirkman

New

Scholarship Stipulations

Post by tirkman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 am

So I have a 50k scholarship per year from St. Johns university with the caveat that I must be in the top 60% of my class in order to renew the scholarship for the second and third year. If im able to keep the scholarship that means that I would only be paying 5,000 a year in tuition which means I wouldn't be in any debt. I guess my main question that i would like this thread to talk about is how worried should someone be about losing this type of conditional scholarship, because the 40% chance that the scholarship could be lost gives me serious hesitancy from going this route.

proteinshake

Gold

Re: Scholarship Stipulations

Post by proteinshake » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:24 am

0L, but that sounds hella risky and I wouldn't take it unless I could get that stip removed.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:44 am

You should be very worried about that stipulation. Over half of students who enter with a conditional scholarship lose it, because the school deliberately stacks sections with scholarship recipients. They're a bad school with bad practices.

mudiverse

Bronze

Post by mudiverse » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 am

cavalier1138 wrote:You should be very worried about that stipulation. Over half of students who enter with a conditional scholarship lose it, because the school deliberately stacks sections with scholarship recipients. They're a bad school with bad practices.
I wont ask you for evidence - but how do you know this is the case?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 am

mudiverse wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:You should be very worried about that stipulation. Over half of students who enter with a conditional scholarship lose it, because the school deliberately stacks sections with scholarship recipients. They're a bad school with bad practices.
Because it's on the 509 reports. (Not the section stacking, but the numbers are relatively impossible without it. And St. John's is known for it.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BL1554

New

Post by BL1554 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:25 am

I had the same offer and walked away from it. I tried and was very unsuccessful in negotiating that stip away and an adcom told me that because my stats were above the median, I would likely be fine and retain the scholarship. Definitely seemed too risky for me.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 am

mudiverse wrote:
there were 224 1Ls in 2015. 101/188 conditional scholarships were reduced or eliminated. If you evenly divided those 188 students over 4 sections, then they would make up 84% of classes already, so at least 24% would have their scholarships reduced or eliminated. Since 54% (over 2x) had scholarships reduced or eliminated, we assume section stacking, because how else would that happen?

tirkman

New

Post by tirkman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am

I appreciate everyone for commenting this has been helpful. I think i've successfully been talked out of going to St. Johns haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”