UCI vs BC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bananasfloat

New

UCI vs BC

Post by bananasfloat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm

60k total at both schools.

I get instate tuition for UCI which helps a bit.

My goals right now are to get a firm job. ideally biglaw bc of the oppurtunities it opens up later.

ideally i'd like to be in california but i visited bc and boston and i wouldn't mind living there for law school and possibly some years beyond.

retake isn't an option so i'm really deciding between these schools. can someone help me decide?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: UCI vs BC

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Would you be okay in other legal jobs if firms didn't take you? Like being a PD, DA, small firm, etc? These are very real possibilities here. If you'd be okay with that as a fallback option, UCI at $60k (I'll assume this number is accurate without questioning the vaguery in your post) is the right call if you want to end up in California.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Biglaw where? In CA? Boston? NY? Biglaw is available to the top 50% of the class at UCI--mostly in OC and LA, but we have some alums in the east coast (NYC, PA).

bananasfloat

New

Post by bananasfloat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:31 pm

zot1 wrote:Biglaw where? In CA? Boston? NY? Biglaw is available to the top 50% of the class at UCI--mostly in OC and LA, but we have some alums in the east coast (NYC, PA).
i would be okay with working in any of those cities but like i mentioned above id ideally like to be in california. Im trying to balance my employment prospects with where i want to live. If bc gives me a better shot at biglaw I wouldnt mind living in boston for a better shot at biglaw seeing as the COA is similar. UCI scares me a bit bc of how new it is and the fact that they are competeing against some pretty big schools

bananasfloat

New

Post by bananasfloat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 pm

UVA2B wrote:Would you be okay in other legal jobs if firms didn't take you? Like being a PD, DA, small firm, etc? These are very real possibilities here. If you'd be okay with that as a fallback option, UCI at $60k (I'll assume this number is accurate without questioning the vaguery in your post) is the right call if you want to end up in California.
I'm thinking I would be okay with them if I had to be. according to LST reports it seems like bc gives me a slightly better shot at biglaw, but thats likely to be in boston. The numbers are accurate. i got the same amount of scholarship at both schools COA at uci will be slightly lower bc of a lower tuition due to in-state pricing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 pm

bananasfloat wrote:
zot1 wrote:Biglaw where? In CA? Boston? NY? Biglaw is available to the top 50% of the class at UCI--mostly in OC and LA, but we have some alums in the east coast (NYC, PA).
i would be okay with working in any of those cities but like i mentioned above id ideally like to be in california. Im trying to balance my employment prospects with where i want to live. If bc gives me a better shot at biglaw I wouldnt mind living in boston for a better shot at biglaw seeing as the COA is similar. UCI scares me a bit bc of how new it is and the fact that they are competeing against some pretty big schools
I wish I could still say UCI is new, but it doesn't feel like anymore. Anyway, you can look at employment stats AND placements and compare for yourself what would be the best fit. (Please note a large percentage of biglaw-bound folks at UCI get reported as doing A3 clerkships, so use those numbers too. And keep in mind not everyone at UCI wants to do biglaw so self-selection is an issue too).

FWIW you want to go to a place where you'll be relatively happy to increase your odds of doing well. You seem like you really like Boston, so that helps.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 pm

bananasfloat wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Would you be okay in other legal jobs if firms didn't take you? Like being a PD, DA, small firm, etc? These are very real possibilities here. If you'd be okay with that as a fallback option, UCI at $60k (I'll assume this number is accurate without questioning the vaguery in your post) is the right call if you want to end up in California.
I'm thinking I would be okay with them if I had to be. according to LST reports it seems like bc gives me a slightly better shot at biglaw, but thats likely to be in boston. The numbers are accurate. i got the same amount of scholarship at both schools COA at uci will be slightly lower bc of a lower tuition due to in-state pricing.
You're absolutely right, BC is more or less a coin flip chance at Biglaw in Boston or NYC. UCI is slightly less than that, focusing on OC and LA. If your ultimate goal is ending up in legal practice in Southern California, and you're comfortable with other non-Biglaw options, UCI is the right call.

Thanks for making me look up UCI's COA numbers, because your original assertion about BC and UCI being similar on similar scholarships sounded ludicrous, but it is since you're a resident. Live and learn.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:12 pm

UVA2B wrote:
bananasfloat wrote:
You're absolutely right, BC is more or less a coin flip chance at Biglaw in Boston or NYC. UCI is slightly less than that, focusing on OC and LA. If your ultimate goal is ending up in legal practice in Southern California, and you're comfortable with other non-Biglaw options, UCI is the right call.

Thanks for making me look up UCI's COA numbers, because your original assertion about BC and UCI being similar on similar scholarships sounded ludicrous, but it is since you're a resident. Live and learn.

You can live on campus at UCI for ~400/mo in a shared apartment. You can't beat that.

bananasfloat

New

Post by bananasfloat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 pm

zot1 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
bananasfloat wrote:

You can live on campus at UCI for ~400/mo in a shared apartment. You can't beat that.
that's a fair point for sure. living costs are lower there than boston. Thank you for all your feedback I appreciate your advise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”