Cardozo ($$) v Brooklyn ($$) v WUSTL ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
warwickmain

Cardozo ($$) v Brooklyn ($$) v WUSTL ($)

Postby warwickmain » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Let me preface this by saying I'm heavily leaning towards Cardozo already and expect most people to choose Cardozo as well. Just wanted to cover all my bases and see if there's any argument to be made for choosing another school. On the WL for GWU and Emory as well, but I'm not sure that getting off the WL for those schools would even affect my decision.

2.7 uGPA (STEM), 168 LSAT, 1 year removed from undergrad
I've taken the LSAT twice, went from 160 to 168 after an extra 6 months of studying. Last 10 PT were all around 167-170 range, so I don't really see myself taking the LSAT again and doing much better.

Cardozo: $44k yearly scholarship w/ no stips ---------------> Total CoA $60k commuting from home
Brooklyn: $25k yearly scholarship w/ top 80% stip ---------> Total CoA $90k commuting from home (also awaiting scholarship negotiation)
WUSTL: $10k yearly scholarship w/ no stips ----------------> Total CoA $220k
Probably wouldn't need to take out much in loans for Cardozo/Brooklyn after family support/own savings, however WUSTL would definitely require some loans.

Currently have some interest in Healthcare, Patent, and Tax, but not counting out other fields either. I'm not going to say that biglaw isn't on my mind, but I know it realistically shouldn't be considering these schools. That being said, I guess I'm primarily hoping to work in boutique/midsize firms that deal with my current interests. Government would be on the list, but I'm not sure I could find that in NYC for my current interests (DC is probably another story?).

NYC is the top market I want to end up in (would consider DC and Boston too). Family lives in NYC (borderline Long Island) which means a 1.5 - 2 hour public transit both to and from school.

Also thinking about living closer to campus for first year and then seeing if I would be able to handle the transit for 2L/3L. This would probably mean adding ~$20-25k a year on top of CoA for Cardozo and Brooklyn. However, seeing how I did in undergrad, I'm not really sure I want to try my luck and commute straight away. Any thoughts on that? (Gonna premptively address undergrad GPA concerns: I worked part-time throughout most of undergrad to help pay for school (paid sticker for private institution undergrad - terrible mistake) and had difficulty w/ time management. Definitely not working 1L, we'll see about 2L/3L.)

TLDR; Is choosing Cardozo a no-brainer?

trebekismyhero

Re: Cardozo ($$) v Brooklyn ($$) v WUSTL ($)

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm

If you can get Cardozo and Brooklyn close to full tuition then those would be advisable because it sounds like you likely will not end up commuting so COA will be higher. Right now I would say none of the above. WUSTL at that cost is just too much. If it were under $100k then it would make sense. And Brooklyn and Cardozo are just not worth taking $100k worth of loans out, which if you don't live at home you will. If you actually kept Cardozo to $60k then I think that would be ok.

It sounds like you scored where you were averaging, but even just another point or two would lead to a lot more $ from WUSTL because you would be above their average so I wouldn't discount a retake in June.

gsy987

Postby gsy987 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:If you can get Cardozo and Brooklyn close to full tuition then those would be advisable because it sounds like you likely will not end up commuting so COA will be higher. Right now I would say none of the above. WUSTL at that cost is just too much. If it were under $100k then it would make sense. And Brooklyn and Cardozo are just not worth taking $100k worth of loans out, which if you don't live at home you will. If you actually kept Cardozo to $60k then I think that would be ok.

It sounds like you scored where you were averaging, but even just another point or two would lead to a lot more $ from WUSTL because you would be above their average so I wouldn't discount a retake in June.

Agreed. WUSTL is notorious for hunting for good LSAT scores...so waiting could be a good option.

warwickmain

Postby warwickmain » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 pm

gsy987 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:If you can get Cardozo and Brooklyn close to full tuition then those would be advisable because it sounds like you likely will not end up commuting so COA will be higher. Right now I would say none of the above. WUSTL at that cost is just too much. If it were under $100k then it would make sense. And Brooklyn and Cardozo are just not worth taking $100k worth of loans out, which if you don't live at home you will. If you actually kept Cardozo to $60k then I think that would be ok.

Agreed. WUSTL is notorious for hunting for good LSAT scores...so waiting could be a good option.

I didn't know about WUSTL being so focused on the LSAT for scholarships, but I'll definitely look into a June retake! Thanks!
I'm also waiting on Brooklyn still for a scholarship negotiation response, so we'll see what happens there.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:05 pm

It looks like WUSTL is being less generous this year just based on choosing threads.

As of now, I'd do Dozo but relentlessly negotiate with both Brooklyn and Dozo. Every little bit counts.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:34 pm

cardozo.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”