Unicorn Job: Go PT or use for better school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Throwaway1

Unicorn Job: Go PT or use for better school?

Postby Throwaway1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 pm

So this is some long term planning for sure, but it'll help as I make decisions.

Background: I recently started what many would consider to be a non-law unicorn job in fed gov. Not going to say anything else because it would give me away. I have a 3.6 ugpa and just took my first LSAT practice test and got a 165 so I feel pretty confident about getting 170+ after studying.

I've always wanted to go to law school and be a lawyer, but I also really like my current job. They've paid for people in similar roles to get masters (6 credits a semester) so I think I could probably get them to do that for me too. I would have to commit to 3 years of work following the final semester they pay for. So here's my options:

Option 1: keep working in fedgov, go to GULC or GWU PT. Assuming no scholarships, I would pay approximately 70k out of pocket. After finishing school I could either stay in my current role, or move to a legal role in my department. If I did this I would try and do a COA clerkship after my 3 year commitment. I'd be shooting for one of the litigating roles in my department for the 3 years so I could move to firm after clerkship if I wanted or just stay in fedgov law.

Option 2: work for a few years and use my unicorn soft to try and get into HYSCC.

Any opinions or is this just a either works situation?

poptart123

Re: Unicorn Job: Go PT or use for better school?

Postby poptart123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Don't quit a job you like, and take advantage of the masters thing if you can get it. Reevaluate what you want in a few years and then decide again. Enjoy your job and study for the LSAT in the meantime if you really want to. Welcome to the Trump Administration!

floatie

Postby floatie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Fellow fedgov employee here - if you're one of the few people who still likes their job, I would hang on to it. Depending on how things shake up, it could be extremely difficult to get back in.

As you look past school, does your career trajectory require a JD? If not, I'd take the free masters and keep doing what you're doing. If so, then GULC part time for $70k, assuming you have support from your supervisor to do this and a chance at keeping this job/climb up the ladder, isn't a bad deal.

If you're really set on HYSCC, apply at the same time you apply for GULC (don't waste your time on GW). If this job is as impressive as you claim it is, doing it for 1 year vs 3-4 won't make much of a difference to them as long as you have the numbers.

elmar

Postby elmar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Throwaway1 wrote:I've always wanted to go to law school and be a lawyer, but I also really like my current job.

Georgetown PT student here. There's a thread elsewhere about the GULC evening program that you can dig through if you want more info generally, but certainly there are many other students with a very similar profile to you that participate in the PT program each year. Regarding the quoted text, you might want to consider whether it is worth going to law school at all if you already have a job with future potential that doesn't require a JD and which you find satisfying. Not trying to dissuade you, but it's a four year commitment that puts a lot of pressure on your personal and professional life. The majority of of evening section applicants do not receive aid, so there's some debt involved, plus the opportunity cost of those years and that money not used in other ways. Because only a subset of people have the desire to both work and go to school, and have the professional situation that makes it worthwhile to them, the program produces a really impressive set of peers. I think it's hard to know what to advise you regarding your options until you know what you're hoping to get out of the law school experience over and above the potential that is already available in your current situation in terms of career, income/finances, etc.

Throwaway1

Postby Throwaway1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:06 pm

floatie wrote:Fellow fedgov employee here - if you're one of the few people who still likes their job, I would hang on to it. Depending on how things shake up, it could be extremely difficult to get back in.

As you look past school, does your career trajectory require a JD? If not, I'd take the free masters and keep doing what you're doing. If so, then GULC part time for $70k, assuming you have support from your supervisor to do this and a chance at keeping this job/climb up the ladder, isn't a bad deal.

If you're really set on HYSCC, apply at the same time you apply for GULC (don't waste your time on GW). If this job is as impressive as you claim it is, doing it for 1 year vs 3-4 won't make much of a difference to them as long as you have the numbers.

I came in at a weird time so it'll definitely take some time to evaluate if I want to stay long term given the environment. As for my career trajectory requiring a JD, it depends. There are people who have gone down this career path with and without JDs. It's not required by any means, but is definitely something that I think would help with promotions down the line -- especially at more senior levels. However, I may not want to do exactly what I'm doing right now. If I wanted to switch to a different role in a similar area the JD would most likely be required. So I see the JD as a good optionality tool that gives me the ability to keep doing what I'm doing, switch to a similar role that requires a JD, or leave completely and go to private practice.

I'm not set on HYSCC, but for some of the things I would like to have a shot at long term I definitely think it would help more than GULC, but I could be wrong. The dream would be to work my way to an undersecretary role at State or Defense and while I know there is a small chance of this happening, I feel like I'm on a path that could lead there. So I really just need to evaluate in a year or two whether it makes more sense to do GULC vs applying to HYSCC I think.

elmar wrote:
Throwaway1 wrote:I've always wanted to go to law school and be a lawyer, but I also really like my current job.

Georgetown PT student here. There's a thread elsewhere about the GULC evening program that you can dig through if you want more info generally, but certainly there are many other students with a very similar profile to you that participate in the PT program each year. Regarding the quoted text, you might want to consider whether it is worth going to law school at all if you already have a job with future potential that doesn't require a JD and which you find satisfying. Not trying to dissuade you, but it's a four year commitment that puts a lot of pressure on your personal and professional life. The majority of of evening section applicants do not receive aid, so there's some debt involved, plus the opportunity cost of those years and that money not used in other ways. Because only a subset of people have the desire to both work and go to school, and have the professional situation that makes it worthwhile to them, the program produces a really impressive set of peers. I think it's hard to know what to advise you regarding your options until you know what you're hoping to get out of the law school experience over and above the potential that is already available in your current situation in terms of career, income/finances, etc.

Appreciate the advice. This is something I've thought about and will have to consider again before I apply. The JD will absolute help with career advancement in my current role (see above), so even if I stay in my exact career path I'm in now it's beneficial, but it also gives me the optionality to try and do something else.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Does ED to GWU PT still give a full ride scholarship? If so, would do that.

Throwaway1

Postby Throwaway1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:01 pm

twenty wrote:Does ED to GWU PT still give a full ride scholarship? If so, would do that.

They do. I'm thinking that if I decide to go the part time route I may apply to GULC first day apps open and once I find out apply GW ED since the deadline for that isn't until February. It's definitely something to consider because it would make my COA $0.

My only hesitation is that it would limit my options should I decide to leave gov. COA clerkship and DC Biglaw chances are much lower at GW.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 am

Throwaway1 wrote:COA clerkship and DC Biglaw chances are much lower at GW.

They're not really great at GULC either. Between sticker-ish at GULC (they're bad with PT scholarships) and GWU with a big/full scholarship, TCR is unequivocally GWU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”