W&L ($$$$) or ASU ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alohaairlines

W&L ($$$$) or ASU ($$)

Postby alohaairlines » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:37 am

Last edited by alohaairlines on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Re: W&L ($$$$) or ASU ($$)

Postby floatie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:47 am

First, I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that with your parents. That sucks. Even if they hadn't rescinded your offer to live at home, I wouldn't try to live at home if you go to ASU - you don't need that kind of BS in your life and you don't want to be in an environment that could threaten your performance. But without the living at home option, ASU isn't worth over 100k in debt

W&L could be a defensible choice if you can get the COA down, as $80k seems kind of high...any offers you can use to negotiate? Note that BL is probably not going to happen from W& and only 11.2% of people made it to DC.Also, I can't speak to how LGBT-friendly Lexington is, and it would be unfortunate if you left one toxic environment for another. https://www.lstreports.com/schools/wl/ - look into this more, if you haven't already

There's still quite a bit of time between now and August. Is there any chance at all that you can find another job for a year? As much as I imagine you don't want to hear it, retaking is the best way to overcome a sub-3.0 GPA. Also, if you retook in June, you might be able to use the new score to negotiate scholarships at the schools which you've already been accepted.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:58 am

What are your career goals? Biglaw? Small firm? state government? PD or DA? Where would you like to ultimately end up living and working?

Your options may make sense depending on your goals (although the costs are too high in my opinion), but without knowing what your goals are beyond getting out of your toxic environment, no quality advice can be given.

alohaairlines

Postby alohaairlines » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Good things to think about. Are there any non-0Ls who could weigh in?

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 pm

alohaairlines wrote:Good things to think about. Are there any non-0Ls who could weigh in?

Not a 0L. Answer the questions asked and you'll happily get more thorough responses. Or don't. But you won't get any good advice without it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”