UCONN vs. UC HASTINGS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jessthemess13

UCONN vs. UC HASTINGS

Postby jessthemess13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 am

Hey all,

So I live in CT and have gotten into UConn. I am currently really conflicted and need help. UConn is naturally cheaper for in state, and they offered my 5k per year. On the other hand I've also gotten into UCH but with no money.

I know UConn is the logical option due to money and as of the 2018 rankings both schools are tied at 54, but honestly I wanna get out of CT. I want to settle on the west coast, so is it worth the money to go move out to SF based on that purpose alone?

My parents are covering my education, but I do not want them to spend so much additional money for no employment rewards at the end of this.

Please honest help and no bullshit. Thank you!

Ferrisjso
Comptroller General of Cloudcuckooland

Re: UCONN vs. UC HASTINGS

Postby Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:04 am

jessthemess13 wrote:Hey all,

So I live in CT and have gotten into UConn. I am currently really conflicted and need help. UConn is naturally cheaper for in state, and they offered my 5k per year. On the other hand I've also gotten into UCH but with no money.

I know UConn is the logical option due to money and as of the 2018 rankings both schools are tied at 54, but honestly I wanna get out of CT. I want to settle on the west coast, so is it worth the money to go move out to SF based on that purpose alone?

My parents are covering my education, but I do not want them to spend so much additional money for no employment rewards at the end of this.

Please honest help and no bullshit. Thank you!

I'm in almost the exact opposite situation of you, I want to leave NY(my home state) and live/practice in CT(state I attended UG), but schools in NY are offering me more money. Despite everyone(and I mean everyone) telling me I should stick to NY, at the end of the end of the day I've come to the conclusion that 40-50k isn't worth resigning myself to a life I hate for decades and I should go to UCONN/QU. So my advice to you is if you want to leave Connecticut, leave Connecticut. That being said, I'm looking over the 509's and at sticker UC Hastings will come out to a little less than a quarter of a million freaking dollars and no one in their right mind would tell you to take that much money out for a TT, even if you're obsessed with San Francisco. However, it doesn't seem like you're obsessed with San Fransisco, it seems like you want the west coast.

Have you applied to other schools in the West Coast? If so, I honestly can't imagine you having a worse option than Hastings finance wise. If you haven't, I'm going to be honest, it's quite late to be applying to schools this cycle and as much as it pains me to say it, you'll get much much more money if you just wait 7 months and apply the moment applications come out(even at UC Hastings if you applied late). There's no harm in retaking while you wait(assuming you haven't exhausted takes). I don't like asking for stats on choosing a law school threads because some of the more elitist posters on here use that as a pretext to ignore the question and tell you to retake but if you're stats aren't terrible you can apply to schools that even now will give you full scholly's. Look for schools where your stats are over their 75th percentiles and try to find one's that don't do conditional scholly's(it will say it on the 509).

Here's what you can't do, PLEASE DON'T GO to UC Hastings(unless you're wealthy and/or have some sort of plan X, if things go bad). To put in context how crazy this will be, I'll give you my situation, if I get instate tuition at UCONN for my second year, I will be saving 30k a year, 60k total from out of state tuition. Now let's look at your situation, I don't know what California's poor tax payers did to Hastings but let's say you get California in state tuition for your second and third year, you will only be saving 6k a year for a total of 12k(you'd go from paying 50k plus to 44k plus). That 12k probably won't even cover a years interest on that monstrosity. So please don't go to UC Hastings, go to a cheaper school in either California, Oregon or Washington(you said West Coast, not California).

Here's my favorite link that makes searching for schools easy as hell.
http://law-schools.startclass.com/

Best of luck and try to not let the overwhelming pessimism that comes after me to get you down(their hearts are in the right place, they don't want you to financially ruin your life, even if they are rather crude). If you want to talk more PM me.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:36 am

What are your career goals? LSAT/GPA? Total COA at each school? Other options?

Short answer: don't go to UCONN if you want to work somewhere that isn't Connecticut (or if you want a decent shot at being a practicing lawyer after school). Long answer: need more details to provide any real advice.

Npret

Postby Npret » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:48 am

Rankings are not relevant. You need to look s the job stats of schools.

You don't have to move to California to get away from Connecticut.

Just wondering how much time have you spent in San Francisco? Have you any idea that it's more expensive than New York City it's really going to be tough to start a career there given the employment status of Hastings and given your absolute zero connection to California.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/hastings/

If anything move there for a year first and see how you like it. Don't set yourself up for a career (or for you to not have a career at all) all the way across the country.

jessthemess13

Postby jessthemess13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:50 am

At this point I'm not gonna retake the LSAT, my parents want me to get on with things. I will share that my stats aren't anything amazing: 3.4 gpa + 158 LSAT. Unfortunately I was premed all through school and even took the MCAT so my gpa and LSAT somewhat reflect that.

Anyway I also got into Pepperdine and University of San Diego, but the prospects there are similar econimically. Personally I wanna live and work in the LA area so idk if UCH would help with that anyway. But as a sidenote I do have family in SF.

Part of thinks I should save money and go to UConn and then move, but that's not realistic is it?

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:05 am

jessthemess13 wrote:At this point I'm not gonna retake the LSAT, my parents want me to get on with things. I will share that my stats aren't anything amazing: 3.4 gpa + 158 LSAT. Unfortunately I was premed all through school and even took the MCAT so my gpa and LSAT somewhat reflect that.

Anyway I also got into Pepperdine and University of San Diego, but the prospects there are similar econimically. Personally I wanna live and work in the LA area so idk if UCH would help with that anyway. But as a sidenote I do have family in SF.

Part of thinks I should save money and go to UConn and then move, but that's not realistic is it?

No, it's not realistic. And assuming that you're not a child living at home, why are you considering what your parents want?

What are your career goals?

jjcorvino

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
jessthemess13 wrote:At this point I'm not gonna retake the LSAT, my parents want me to get on with things. I will share that my stats aren't anything amazing: 3.4 gpa + 158 LSAT. Unfortunately I was premed all through school and even took the MCAT so my gpa and LSAT somewhat reflect that.

No, it's not realistic. And assuming that you're not a child living at home, why are you considering what your parents want?

Well, OPs parents are paying for school, so that is likely why they care.

OP: You should tell your parents that you need to sit out a year and spend time studying the LSAT. Tell them that this decision will same them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 am

jjcorvino wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Well, OPs parents are paying for school, so that is likely why they care.

OP: You should tell your parents that you need to sit out a year and spend time studying the LSAT. Tell them that this decision will same them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It's always an option to ween yourself from their teet, though. You don't have to take their money if you know the best option is to retake. And if you retake and kill the lsat, you may end up with minimal debt regardless, and the outcome you (OP) want.

waldorf

Postby waldorf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:14 am

Ferrisjso wrote:

Best of luck and try to not let the overwhelming pessimism that comes after me to get you down(their hearts are in the right place, they don't want you to financially ruin your life, even if they are rather crude). If you want to talk more PM me.

GOOD GRIEF, you are annoying.

+1 to those who said retake. If that means your parents won't pay for school, then so be it. It doesn't matter if they are paying if you can't get a job after you graduate.

guynourmin

Postby guynourmin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 am

bwaldorf wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

GOOD GRIEF, you are annoying.

+1 to those who said retake. If that means your parents won't pay for school, then so be it. It doesn't matter if they are paying if you can't get a job after you graduate.

pessimism?! I LITERALLY CANNOT. This is insane.

OP: if your parents are paying for school and don't mind throwing out 200k for a meh education, then you should probably go to Pepperdine because it is closest to where you want to end up. I would try to have a really frank discussion with them, though, and even say look, you're willing to put up X, well I am willing to bet on myself and know I can put myself in a position to go to USC or UCLA for $40,000 less than what you're offering to pay right now. If you'll acquiesce to my waiting a year, I will save you money and be a significantly better position to achieve my goals. This is a reasoned position to take and, honestly, if you can't convince your parents of something that makes complete sense, I think you might struggle winning any kind of argument (which is, you know, not great in the legal field...).

MediocreAtBest

Postby MediocreAtBest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:05 pm

guybourdin wrote:
OP: if your parents are paying for school and don't mind throwing out 200k for a meh education, then you should probably go to Pepperdine because it is closest to where you want to end up. I would try to have a really frank discussion with them, though, and even say look, you're willing to put up X, well I am willing to bet on myself and know I can put myself in a position to go to USC or UCLA for $40,000 less than what you're offering to pay right now. If you'll acquiesce to my waiting a year, I will save you money and be a significantly better position to achieve my goals. This is a reasoned position to take and, honestly, if you can't convince your parents of something that makes complete sense, I think you might struggle winning any kind of argument (which is, you know, not great in the legal field...).

This is really the only advice that OP needs. Your parents can dish out 200k for subpar career opportunities, or they can dish out half of that for much better opportunities (potentially) just one year later. I understand when young people are impatient, but adults usually realize that a year is not very long in the grand scheme of things. If that huge amount of money doesn't mean anything to your parents (lucky you), I'm sure they'll still understand the value of job placement and how it varies from somewhere like UCH to USC.

jessthemess13

Postby jessthemess13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. Money really isn't an issue for me luckily, and I have discussed taking another year off, but I'm 2 years post grad at this point and my parents just don't want me wasting more time.

Any thoughts on transferring? I personally know a couple people who went to UConn and then transferred to top 20 schools after their first years. I know it's not an ideal thought but just want general opinions.

At this point I feel like you've all convinced me not to go to UCH though, which I already sort of knew was the right answer.

But if I was serious about transferring to a school like UCLA, I feel being in California already gives me an advantage?

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Don't go to a school even thinking about transferring. Only go to a school that you'd be comfortable graduating from (and this does not mean comfort, it means whether or not the school gives you a good chance of getting what you want). Too much variability in the law school curve to make transferring a consideration prior to starting school.

jjcorvino

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 pm

jessthemess13 wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. Money really isn't an issue for me luckily, and I have discussed taking another year off, but I'm 2 years post grad at this point and my parents just don't want me wasting more time.

Any thoughts on transferring? I personally know a couple people who went to UConn and then transferred to top 20 schools after their first years. I know it's not an ideal thought but just want general opinions.

At this point I feel like you've all convinced me not to go to UCH though, which I already sort of knew was the right answer.

But if I was serious about transferring to a school like UCLA, I feel being in California already gives me an advantage?

You haven't actually listened to anyone's advice. You are still convinced that going to school right now is the correct decision. Also, transferring almost never works out. Do not go to school expecting to be able to transfer.

Ferrisjso
Comptroller General of Cloudcuckooland

Postby Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:01 pm

jessthemess13 wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. Money really isn't an issue for me luckily, and I have discussed taking another year off, but I'm 2 years post grad at this point and my parents just don't want me wasting more time.

Youd need to be high in your class to do that, which while possible is far from a guarantee. The fact your parents are paying for your school does make your situation better but yeah making them pay 250k when your numbers(nm potential retake gain) probably will yield a better deal next cycle. I hate telling people to take a year off but if you dont have other choices, its your best bet. Your numbers should have yielded money from Hastings(same with Pedderdine etc), they didnt because Im almost certain you applied late.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ambrajdurbra131313

Postby ambrajdurbra131313 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm

In a hypothetical world where you had to attend law school this cycle and the goal was LA and these were your options- I'd go Pepperdine but only the top of the class is gunna get things like biglaw/fed clerkship there
I'm generally not into taking a year off for the LSAT, but its the move here especially because your parents will pay- a better LSAT and USC/UCLA would be fine with you paying near sticker and you'd have a way better shot at a solid job/start to your career

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 am

Why aren't you considering your SoCal schools if you want LA?

TripleM

Postby TripleM » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 pm

It's possible that you (OP) are right in your thinking. I know your gut is telling you that these people don't really understand your situation. That is, in fact, one possibility: everyone on this thread (except you) is wrong. That's one possibility...

I'm going to encourage you to step back and ask yourself if that's the most likely possibility.

I'm going to try to be constructive here. It seems that your parents are bankrolling this and thus do have some sort of say. I'm not going to judge that because it would reveal me for the petty, jealous and shallow person that I am. I will say that your parents are steering you wrong, though they probably have the best of intentions.

I'm going to suggest that you need to sit down and have a respectful conversation with your parents in which you educate them and detail why you want to retake and wait. Explain that your lifetime earnings could be significantly higher if you were to go to a better school. Explain that your chances of landing a more sustainable and satisfying job will skyrocket. If you haven't yet read it, read this book and then share it, or the highlights, with your parents. https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Law-School- ... ool+unless

I'd also be willing to guess that their attitude isn't coming from nowhere. Perhaps you've used the last few years in a manner that caused them to have a little concern. Again, not judging, but just reading between the lines. If that's the case you also need to lay out for them what your plans are to prep for the LSAT. Detail for them how, exactly, you'll spend your days preparing for the LSAT. Be honest with yourself and with them. Detail how this next year will be different than the last two.

Finally, I think you need to really examine why you're going to law school. Are you going because you have a passion for the work (lots of reading, writing and research on sometimes mundane topics) or because it seems like a good line of work and your parents are willing to pay for it?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think if you can answer that last question, then the decision about retakes will answer itself and the conversation with your parents will be more honest, and thus more effective.

Johann

Postby Johann » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:49 am

if you want to work in the nrotheast, go to Uconn. if you want to work on the west coast, go to hastings

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:02 am

JFC. Why do people have such a hard time answering simple questions?

What are your career goals? What are your career goals? What are your career goals?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 pm

If your goal is to work in California after graduation, do not go to UCONN, under any circumstances.

Hastings could make sense if they offer you some scholarship aid and if your career goals are sufficiently modest.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”