Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lawser24
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 am

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby Lawser24 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:58 pm

I understand exactly what you guys are saying. But it also seems that you guys think it's T14 or don't go to law school period. I know about curves and how everyone is smart. However, I believe we have some control on where we end up. It's up to you how much effort you put into studying and taking advantage of opportunities. And you have more opportunities at a T14 than the schools I've been admitted too. That brings up why I chose TU & PU. I do not want big law, I will come out with no debt (- opportunity cost of not working elsewhere), and I will be able to make the most connections in the field I want to work in. While this probably is not the route you and cav took to get to happy hour at 4 on Thursdays, it's still a route. And after jumping up 5 points on my actual LSAT, I don't see my score getting me in to T14. Thank you guys for handing it to me straight. If you don't mind me asking, where did you and cav go to law school? And if I do get into UT with virtually no scholly, would you say accept the offer because it's UT, or retake and try and get more money?

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby zot1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:08 pm

I didn't go to a T14.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby grades?? » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Lawser24 wrote:I understand exactly what you guys are saying. But it also seems that you guys think it's T14 or don't go to law school period. I know about curves and how everyone is smart. However, I believe we have some control on where we end up. It's up to you how much effort you put into studying and taking advantage of opportunities. And you have more opportunities at a T14 than the schools I've been admitted too. That brings up why I chose TU & PU. I do not want big law, I will come out with no debt (- opportunity cost of not working elsewhere), and I will be able to make the most connections in the field I want to work in. While this probably is not the route you and cav took to get to happy hour at 4 on Thursdays, it's still a route. And after jumping up 5 points on my actual LSAT, I don't see my score getting me in to T14. Thank you guys for handing it to me straight. If you don't mind me asking, where did you and cav go to law school? And if I do get into UT with virtually no scholly, would you say accept the offer because it's UT, or retake and try and get more money?


A few points.

1- "sports law" is handled essentially in two ways. Either you work for a team (in-house) or you go to a big law firm that happens to do some sports work (like Proskauer). The only way to even think about getting these types of jobs is to go t13. If your goal is to work in this field, you need a t13 school PLUS a ton of connections PLUS being at the top of your class at said t13. Being median at Tulane aint getting you anything close to this.

2- The curve in law school is random. You could study your ass off and still end up screwed. I know at many t13 schools for example, professors have discretion on how to set their curve. IE they can set 40-60% of their class at median. Therefore some classes might be stacked at median with no one with low grades but no one with high grades, or you could be in another section where the professor sets it at 40% and instead of getting that median grade in the other section, all of a sudden the same exact score gets you below median. So thats random.

Even more unsavory, many lower ranked schools (Idk if Tulane or Pepperdine does this, but schools ranked near them do) stack a section with the scholarship kids. This is so they can get some scholarship money back from the kids with conditional scholarships. Their sections aren't random.

A law school curve IS MUCH MUCH MORE than hard work. I know my 1L section has comparatively less high GPAs than other 1L sections purely because how the professors set how many students at median. That means the top kid in my section last year is not even in the top 10% of my class. He worked his ass off and deserves to be top 10%.

You need to retake. Your GPA sucks, but a high lsat could at least pull UT with money which all things considered wouldn't be a bad option. Your goals are impossible from these schools and you genuinely don't understand how law school curves work. You need to take some time, realize your goals are objectively unachievable from your options, and retake so you can change this outlook.

Edit: and just as motivation, my first lsat diagnostic was in the low 140s. It took me a full year of studying while in grad school (with teaching obligations and an outside job) to get a 175+. There is really no excuse besides work ethic and if you can't have the work ethic to study for a retake, you aren't going to have the work ethic to do well in your 1L classes.

Lawser24
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 am

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby Lawser24 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Thank you for the notes guys. I'll take a step back and look at some things.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm not sure what the fascination is with "sports law." It's literally just looking at contracts and labor negotiations. It's not going to be any more awesome than doing the same thing in other fields just because it's for the NHL instead of random union group #654.

But if you're dead set on "sports law," then go to whatever school gives you the best chance to end up at Proskauer, because I believe they rep most of the sports leagues. But, here's a hint - you aren't getting Proskauer from these schools unless you end up like top 3%, then maybe, possibly, theoretically you get a shot.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby zot1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:19 pm

kalvano wrote:I'm not sure what the fascination is with "sports law." It's literally just looking at contracts and labor negotiations. It's not going to be any more awesome than doing the same thing in other fields just because it's for the NHL instead of random union group #654.

But if you're dead set on "sports law," then go to whatever school gives you the best chance to end up at Proskauer, because I believe they rep most of the sports leagues. But, here's a hint - you aren't getting Proskauer from these schools unless you end up like top 3%, then maybe, possibly, theoretically you get a shot.


Free season tickets.

lawpotato
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby lawpotato » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 pm

grades?? wrote:
Lawser24 wrote:I understand exactly what you guys are saying. But it also seems that you guys think it's T14 or don't go to law school period. I know about curves and how everyone is smart. However, I believe we have some control on where we end up. It's up to you how much effort you put into studying and taking advantage of opportunities. And you have more opportunities at a T14 than the schools I've been admitted too. That brings up why I chose TU & PU. I do not want big law, I will come out with no debt (- opportunity cost of not working elsewhere), and I will be able to make the most connections in the field I want to work in. While this probably is not the route you and cav took to get to happy hour at 4 on Thursdays, it's still a route. And after jumping up 5 points on my actual LSAT, I don't see my score getting me in to T14. Thank you guys for handing it to me straight. If you don't mind me asking, where did you and cav go to law school? And if I do get into UT with virtually no scholly, would you say accept the offer because it's UT, or retake and try and get more money?


A few points.

1- "sports law" is handled essentially in two ways. Either you work for a team (in-house) or you go to a big law firm that happens to do some sports work (like Proskauer). The only way to even think about getting these types of jobs is to go t13. If your goal is to work in this field, you need a t13 school PLUS a ton of connections PLUS being at the top of your class at said t13. Being median at Tulane aint getting you anything close to this.

2- The curve in law school is random. You could study your ass off and still end up screwed. I know at many t13 schools for example, professors have discretion on how to set their curve. IE they can set 40-60% of their class at median. Therefore some classes might be stacked at median with no one with low grades but no one with high grades, or you could be in another section where the professor sets it at 40% and instead of getting that median grade in the other section, all of a sudden the same exact score gets you below median. So thats random.

Even more unsavory, many lower ranked schools (Idk if Tulane or Pepperdine does this, but schools ranked near them do) stack a section with the scholarship kids. This is so they can get some scholarship money back from the kids with conditional scholarships. Their sections aren't random.

A law school curve IS MUCH MUCH MORE than hard work. I know my 1L section has comparatively less high GPAs than other 1L sections purely because how the professors set how many students at median. That means the top kid in my section last year is not even in the top 10% of my class. He worked his ass off and deserves to be top 10%.

You need to retake. Your GPA sucks, but a high lsat could at least pull UT with money which all things considered wouldn't be a bad option. Your goals are impossible from these schools and you genuinely don't understand how law school curves work. You need to take some time, realize your goals are objectively unachievable from your options, and retake so you can change this outlook.

Edit: and just as motivation, my first lsat diagnostic was in the low 140s. It took me a full year of studying while in grad school (with teaching obligations and an outside job) to get a 175+. There is really no excuse besides work ethic and if you can't have the work ethic to study for a retake, you aren't going to have the work ethic to do well in your 1L classes.


How does OP's 3.8 gpa suck in your mind?

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby grades?? » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 am

lawpotato wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Lawser24 wrote:I understand exactly what you guys are saying. But it also seems that you guys think it's T14 or don't go to law school period. I know about curves and how everyone is smart. However, I believe we have some control on where we end up. It's up to you how much effort you put into studying and taking advantage of opportunities. And you have more opportunities at a T14 than the schools I've been admitted too. That brings up why I chose TU & PU. I do not want big law, I will come out with no debt (- opportunity cost of not working elsewhere), and I will be able to make the most connections in the field I want to work in. While this probably is not the route you and cav took to get to happy hour at 4 on Thursdays, it's still a route. And after jumping up 5 points on my actual LSAT, I don't see my score getting me in to T14. Thank you guys for handing it to me straight. If you don't mind me asking, where did you and cav go to law school? And if I do get into UT with virtually no scholly, would you say accept the offer because it's UT, or retake and try and get more money?


A few points.

1- "sports law" is handled essentially in two ways. Either you work for a team (in-house) or you go to a big law firm that happens to do some sports work (like Proskauer). The only way to even think about getting these types of jobs is to go t13. If your goal is to work in this field, you need a t13 school PLUS a ton of connections PLUS being at the top of your class at said t13. Being median at Tulane aint getting you anything close to this.

2- The curve in law school is random. You could study your ass off and still end up screwed. I know at many t13 schools for example, professors have discretion on how to set their curve. IE they can set 40-60% of their class at median. Therefore some classes might be stacked at median with no one with low grades but no one with high grades, or you could be in another section where the professor sets it at 40% and instead of getting that median grade in the other section, all of a sudden the same exact score gets you below median. So thats random.

Even more unsavory, many lower ranked schools (Idk if Tulane or Pepperdine does this, but schools ranked near them do) stack a section with the scholarship kids. This is so they can get some scholarship money back from the kids with conditional scholarships. Their sections aren't random.

A law school curve IS MUCH MUCH MORE than hard work. I know my 1L section has comparatively less high GPAs than other 1L sections purely because how the professors set how many students at median. That means the top kid in my section last year is not even in the top 10% of my class. He worked his ass off and deserves to be top 10%.

You need to retake. Your GPA sucks, but a high lsat could at least pull UT with money which all things considered wouldn't be a bad option. Your goals are impossible from these schools and you genuinely don't understand how law school curves work. You need to take some time, realize your goals are objectively unachievable from your options, and retake so you can change this outlook.

Edit: and just as motivation, my first lsat diagnostic was in the low 140s. It took me a full year of studying while in grad school (with teaching obligations and an outside job) to get a 175+. There is really no excuse besides work ethic and if you can't have the work ethic to study for a retake, you aren't going to have the work ethic to do well in your 1L classes.


How does OP's 3.8 gpa suck in your mind?


That was my bad. It doesn't, his LSAT sucks. I was thinking of another thread and just didn't bother to recheck this one. My b. But the advice is still the same.

favabeansoup
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 am

Well I can speak to UT's experience slightly.

UT has 1 sports law class. It's taught by a Con Law professor who just loves sports though, he wasn't invovled in the industry in any way.

We do have a journal for Entertainment and Sports law. That would net you any direct connections, but they have a symposium every year that you can do the whole networking schmooze.

I'm pretty sure the Cowboys have a 1L internship too.

The only successful way I can think of to get into sports law for you is retaking + T14 admission + good grades + landing a biglaw gig at Proskauer. That's the only firm I can think of that has an actual sports law practice which is significant enough to staff associates on it.

To be clear I think that is a horrible way to plan your future, but I genuinely think it's the best plan for someone hoping to get into "sports law" practice as most people think about it.

Lawser24
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 am

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby Lawser24 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:05 pm

favabeansoup wrote:Well I can speak to UT's experience slightly.

UT has 1 sports law class. It's taught by a Con Law professor who just loves sports though, he wasn't invovled in the industry in any way.

We do have a journal for Entertainment and Sports law. That would net you any direct connections, but they have a symposium every year that you can do the whole networking schmooze.

I'm pretty sure the Cowboys have a 1L internship too.

The only successful way I can think of to get into sports law for you is retaking + T14 admission + good grades + landing a biglaw gig at Proskauer. That's the only firm I can think of that has an actual sports law practice which is significant enough to staff associates on it.

To be clear I think that is a horrible way to plan your future, but I genuinely think it's the best plan for someone hoping to get into "sports law" practice as most people think about it.

Thanks for your input. It's not that I'm looking for the best "sports law" classes. I'm trying to figure out which school will set me up with the best opportunity to eventually break into the business.

User avatar
trebekismyhero
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

favabeansoup wrote:Well I can speak to UT's experience slightly.

UT has 1 sports law class. It's taught by a Con Law professor who just loves sports though, he wasn't invovled in the industry in any way.

We do have a journal for Entertainment and Sports law. That would net you any direct connections, but they have a symposium every year that you can do the whole networking schmooze.

I'm pretty sure the Cowboys have a 1L internship too.

The only successful way I can think of to get into sports law for you is retaking + T14 admission + good grades + landing a biglaw gig at Proskauer. That's the only firm I can think of that has an actual sports law practice which is significant enough to staff associates on it.

To be clear I think that is a horrible way to plan your future, but I genuinely think it's the best plan for someone hoping to get into "sports law" practice as most people think about it.


Proskauer is most notable, but there are other big law firms that do this kind of work. Winston and Strawn represents most of the professional sports unions, I believe Skadden does a lot of work for the leagues, Katten has a pretty big sports group as well. Foley and Lardner used to represent MLB, but I think that might have changed with Selig leaving.

But either way, these are all big law firms and OP if you want to do this kind of work you really need to go to a t14

favabeansoup
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Proskauer is most notable, but there are other big law firms that do this kind of work. Winston and Strawn represents most of the professional sports unions, I believe Skadden does a lot of work for the leagues, Katten has a pretty big sports group as well. Foley and Lardner used to represent MLB, but I think that might have changed with Selig leaving.

But either way, these are all big law firms and OP if you want to do this kind of work you really need to go to a t14


Thanks yeah I didn't know much besides Proskauer.

OP this is seriously what you need to do if you actually want sports law. You need to (1) retake (2) get into a solid T-14 school to get a shot at biglaw and (3) successfully target and sell yourself to the few firms that do this work.

That's just the way it is.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Pepperdine v. Tulane v. SMU v. UT(possibly)

Postby zot1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00 pm

PMed you, OP.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest