Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4381
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:30 am

PrezRand wrote:She gets mad when I defend Texas from stereotypes


Mad is a gross overstatement. I get annoyed when you act like anything potentially negative regarding Texas is an insult and take it personally (which you clearly did because you went on about "liberal-elitist" bullshit or whatever you said). You might live in a Texas bubble, but it would be a huge mischaracterization to say that there is NO reason to be concerned about diversity and what it's like to be a minority in [x]. I know black people who live in Texas right now that literally won't go to certain places in Texas because they're known to be racist. I also spoke to people currently attending UT candidly about my own concerns of living in Texas as someone who is a minority and liberal/progressive, and they even said that the suburbs of Houston and Dallas aren't quite as welcoming as the cities themselves because you run into a lot of southern conservatives with money in the suburbs. To simply dismiss any inquiries about whether or not being a minority will make things uncomfortable as "stereotyping" or "liberal-elitism" (or whatever you said) is just incorrect. Meanwhile, being a black woman, I ask what it's like being black basically everywhere (I even asked what it's like being black in Boston and Chicago). You might not see your race as something that can impact your experiences, but others might, and there's nothing wrong with them asking about it and it's not a way of spitting in your face when they do, but you seem to take it very personally as if any skeptic is just out to slander Texas/Texans.

Anyway, I said what I said and I'm not taking it back so this conversation is pointless.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby PrezRand » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 am

brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:She gets mad when I defend Texas from stereotypes


Mad is a gross overstatement. I get annoyed when you act like anything potentially negative regarding Texas is an insult and take it personally (which you clearly did because you went on about "liberal-elitist" bullshit or whatever you said). You might live in a Texas bubble, but it would be a huge mischaracterization to say that there is NO reason to be concerned about diversity and what it's like to be a minority in [x]. I know black people who live in Texas right now that literally won't go to certain places in Texas because they're known to be racist. I also spoke to people currently attending UT candidly about my own concerns of living in Texas as someone who is a minority and liberal/progressive, and they even said that the suburbs of Houston and Dallas aren't quite as welcoming as the cities themselves because you run into a lot of southern conservatives with money in the suburbs. To simply dismiss any inquiries about whether or not being a minority will make things uncomfortable as "stereotyping" or "liberal-elitism" (or whatever you said) is just incorrect. Meanwhile, being a black woman, I ask what it's like being black basically everywhere (I even asked what it's like being black in Boston and Chicago). You might not see your race as something that can impact your experiences, but others might, and there's nothing wrong with them asking about it and it's not a way of spitting in your face when they do, but you seem to take it very personally as if any skeptic is just out to slander Texas/Texans.

Anyway, I said what I said and I'm not taking it back so this conversation is pointless.

Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant because I could easily talk about my experiences being an AA in Texas for 21 years. And no, it isn't a Texas bubble. OP literally said it it was tough to be Asian in Houston/Dallas. It would be one thing if he said some small town in Texas. That has some merit. But the fact that the OP listed one of the largest cities in the country which has a rep of being one of the most diverse cities in the country if not the most diverse, seriously suggests that people on this board are misinformed. Much of the discussion about Texas on TLS is ridiculous because it's based on liberal stereotypes. It is annoying and it is offensive. I'm sure people in Chicago or Baltimore don't like people talking down on their city because they are perceived as only being violent cities. The same applies here. It's wrong to judge a city when you don't even know what it is like.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4381
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:28 am

PrezRand wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:She gets mad when I defend Texas from stereotypes


Mad is a gross overstatement. I get annoyed when you act like anything potentially negative regarding Texas is an insult and take it personally (which you clearly did because you went on about "liberal-elitist" bullshit or whatever you said). You might live in a Texas bubble, but it would be a huge mischaracterization to say that there is NO reason to be concerned about diversity and what it's like to be a minority in [x]. I know black people who live in Texas right now that literally won't go to certain places in Texas because they're known to be racist. I also spoke to people currently attending UT candidly about my own concerns of living in Texas as someone who is a minority and liberal/progressive, and they even said that the suburbs of Houston and Dallas aren't quite as welcoming as the cities themselves because you run into a lot of southern conservatives with money in the suburbs. To simply dismiss any inquiries about whether or not being a minority will make things uncomfortable as "stereotyping" or "liberal-elitism" (or whatever you said) is just incorrect. Meanwhile, being a black woman, I ask what it's like being black basically everywhere (I even asked what it's like being black in Boston and Chicago). You might not see your race as something that can impact your experiences, but others might, and there's nothing wrong with them asking about it and it's not a way of spitting in your face when they do, but you seem to take it very personally as if any skeptic is just out to slander Texas/Texans.

Anyway, I said what I said and I'm not taking it back so this conversation is pointless.

Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant because I could easily talk about my experiences being an AA in Texas for 21 years. And no, it isn't a Texas bubble. OP literally said it it was tough to be Asian in Houston/Dallas. It would be one thing if he said some small town in Texas. That has some merit. But the fact that the OP listed one of the largest cities in the country which has a rep of being one of the most diverse cities in the country if not the most diverse, seriously suggests that people on this board are misinformed. Much of the discussion about Texas on TLS is ridiculous because it's based on liberal stereotypes. It is annoying and it is offensive. I'm sure people in Chicago or Baltimore don't like people talking down on their city because they are perceived as only being violent cities. The same applies here. It's wrong to judge a city when you don't even know what it is like.


Anyway, I said what I said and I'm not taking it back so this conversation is pointless.

Blue664
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:19 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby Blue664 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:54 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Blue664 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Go to Emory. You aren't built for UT


That part you bolded was maybe uncalled for, but for minorities, the struggle is real. But that's a whole other conversation

Houston is more diverse than Chicago, LA, NYC, and every other major city lmfao. Have you ever lived in Texas? Man, I swear people on TLS are in this liberal-elitist bubble and they will never escape


I sincerely apologize. I didn't mean to say Texas in general wasn't diverse. I was just shocked by the letter I got from the UT Asian society. I've never been and I jumped to conclusions. I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you and all the other Texans. I just wanted advice on where to go..


First of all, PrezRand is sensitive when it comes to Texas, so don't feel the need to apologize.

....

TLdr; Ignore PrezRand, he's touchy about Texas.


I know you always mean well and generally try to be helpful...but gaslighting much?



Lol no. I said what I said and I 100000% meant exactly what I said.


Oh definitely, I truly wasn't trying to question your sincerity. just pointing out that you were trying to discredit someone by painting them as being emotional/irrational. I just don't think that's cool - it's a tool that has historically been used to keep women and minorities down, so you could say I'm SENSITIVE about seeing this and want to just point out that this kind of talk is counterproductive and somewhat insidious (compared to the other points you were trying to make).

poptart123
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby poptart123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 pm

.
Last edited by poptart123 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4381
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Blue664 wrote:

Oh definitely, I truly wasn't trying to question your sincerity. just pointing out that you were trying to discredit someone by painting them as being emotional/irrational. I just don't think that's cool - it's a tool that has historically been used to keep women and minorities down, so you could say I'm SENSITIVE about seeing this and want to just point out that this kind of talk is counterproductive and somewhat insidious (compared to the other points you were trying to make).



Look I been daydrinking because my team is playing today but to reply to this simply: Nah.

He is being emotional. The man whyls about Texas whenever he can. Is Houston more diverse than NYC? Idk or care really. Is it more liberal/progressive? Lol, no. Is it an overreaction to attack a minority (since you're stannin for minorities, apparently) for questioning whether or not they'd be comfortable in a southern city in a state known to have questionable politics/race-related issues? HELLLLZ YES. Do I care that you misconstrued what I said as me trying to make him seem irrational? Hellz no.

If you care so much about minorities then maybe you should be telling people not to attack them for wondering how they will fit in certain environments. If that's not on your to/do list, then idk why you quoting me.

If I thought I said something insensitive, I'd apologize. I deadass didn't though and I still said what I said and idc if you're sensitive about that issue cause that really ain't the issue at hand right now. This isn't a matter of "lol wow you wild you crazy your emotions are invalid" it's an issue of "you're hyper-sensitive when ppl talk about Texas and instead of being productive, you're attacking someone with a valid question"

Anyway, my drink's melting so adios!

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 14979
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Chiming in late, but if you're insistng on going in the fall I'd go to Emory.

favabeansoup
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 pm

I could not imagine a more open and friendly city for diverse and minority individuals than Austin. I mean maybe they hate Californians pretty bad, but everything else is ok.

I've lived in big cities in the Midwest and in the East Coast. Austin was 100% more welcoming and open to minorities than any of those places despite being in "Texas" and the "South".

Dallas/Houston aren't "quite" as welcoming as Austin, but I would put definitely put them on par with East Coast cities in terms of openness to diversity (not actual diversity numbers but that's changing pretty fast in past few years). They are both historically strong Democratic votes. Dallas county went 61% Hillary.

brinicolec wrote:If you care so much about minorities then maybe you should be telling people not to attack them for wondering how they will fit in certain environments. If that's not on your to/do list, then idk why you quoting me.


I'm pretty sure he was telling you off because you were basing all this anti-Texas minority conclusions without actually living here. It's fine to ask questions about how you will fit in, but it's not ok to make conclusions about what is is like here without being here.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 14979
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:04 pm

If you're a minority used to liberal northeast cities/west coast, I think it's reasonable to be a little concerned about the culture. Not necessarily Austin's culture (which we know isn't like Texas generally).

It's hard to quantify and thus refute latent discrimination, and I don't think it's unreasonable to work under the assumption that it might pervade in a habitat especially conducive to it.
Last edited by Rigo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4381
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:24 pm

favabeansoup wrote:I could not imagine a more open and friendly city for diverse and minority individuals than Austin. I mean maybe they hate Californians pretty bad, but everything else is ok.

I've lived in big cities in the Midwest and in the East Coast. Austin was 100% more welcoming and open to minorities than any of those places despite being in "Texas" and the "South".

Dallas/Houston aren't "quite" as welcoming as Austin, but I would put definitely put them on par with East Coast cities in terms of openness to diversity (not actual diversity numbers but that's changing pretty fast in past few years). They are both historically strong Democratic votes. Dallas county went 61% Hillary.

brinicolec wrote:If you care so much about minorities then maybe you should be telling people not to attack them for wondering how they will fit in certain environments. If that's not on your to/do list, then idk why you quoting me.


I'm pretty sure he was telling you off because you were basing all this anti-Texas minority conclusions without actually living here. It's fine to ask questions about how you will fit in, but it's not ok to make conclusions about what is is like here without being here.


See, that's where you're DEFINITELY wrong because he wasn't talking to me at all. Lol.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4381
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Anyway, I really don't care about Texas one way or the other. I visited; I could tell the location wasn't a good fit for me; end of story. That's why I suggested OP visit. What I was saying is that to simply write off any concerns about being a minority as "GRRR WE'RE DIVERSE SHUT UP YOU TEXAS HATERS" is silly and misleading, and to make someone feel bad because they have those concerns and "GRRR I'M A TEXAN HOW DARE YOU" is an asshole-y thing to do, ESPECIALLY when your response to the actual concern is misleading.

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby pleasesendhelp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:47 pm

brinicolec wrote:Anyway, I really don't care about Texas one way or the other. I visited; I could tell the location wasn't a good fit for me; end of story. That's why I suggested OP visit. What I was saying is that to simply write off any concerns about being a minority as "GRRR WE'RE DIVERSE SHUT UP YOU TEXAS HATERS" is silly and misleading, and to make someone feel bad because they have those concerns and "GRRR I'M A TEXAN HOW DARE YOU" is an asshole-y thing to do, ESPECIALLY when your response to the actual concern is misleading.


I'm going for ASD, but I'm pretty set on Emory.

Also, this whole Texas diversity convo really seems like the perfect time to bring up white privilege. I figured, though, it wouldn't help me at all and just perpetuate the animosity. Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Mods, please feel free to lock or delete.

Thank you everyone for the actual useful advice. Y'all know who you are :wink:

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Anyway, I really don't care about Texas one way or the other. I visited; I could tell the location wasn't a good fit for me; end of story. That's why I suggested OP visit. What I was saying is that to simply write off any concerns about being a minority as "GRRR WE'RE DIVERSE SHUT UP YOU TEXAS HATERS" is silly and misleading, and to make someone feel bad because they have those concerns and "GRRR I'M A TEXAN HOW DARE YOU" is an asshole-y thing to do, ESPECIALLY when your response to the actual concern is misleading.


I'm going for ASD, but I'm pretty set on Emory.

Also, this whole Texas diversity convo really seems like the perfect time to bring up white privilege. I figured, though, it wouldn't help me at all and just perpetuate the animosity. Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Mods, please feel free to lock or delete.

Thank you everyone for the actual useful advice. Y'all know who you are :wink:

TIL URM had white privilege

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby pleasesendhelp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:07 am

lymenheimer wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Anyway, I really don't care about Texas one way or the other. I visited; I could tell the location wasn't a good fit for me; end of story. That's why I suggested OP visit. What I was saying is that to simply write off any concerns about being a minority as "GRRR WE'RE DIVERSE SHUT UP YOU TEXAS HATERS" is silly and misleading, and to make someone feel bad because they have those concerns and "GRRR I'M A TEXAN HOW DARE YOU" is an asshole-y thing to do, ESPECIALLY when your response to the actual concern is misleading.


I'm going for ASD, but I'm pretty set on Emory.

Also, this whole Texas diversity convo really seems like the perfect time to bring up white privilege. I figured, though, it wouldn't help me at all and just perpetuate the animosity. Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Mods, please feel free to lock or delete.

Thank you everyone for the actual useful advice. Y'all know who you are :wink:

TIL URM had white privilege


If you're talking about brinicolec, then you should know i wasnt talking about brinicolec. in fact, i was expressing gratitude for actually helping me with my question.

lmao, but I see you around not pulling punches with your responses on the boards, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. I actually feel honored that you posted on mine! Life goal complete. Forget law school. I can die now with no regrets.

If I offended any URM's. I'm deeply sorry. I genuinely mean that.

edit: if you grew up with all Caucasians and only Caucasian friends, didnt struggle for money even once, had zero minority friends, wore boat shoes and polos, chewed tobacco, and your daddy took care of everything when times got "tough", then I don't care if you're technically a minority, because you're basically a step above an Uncle Tom and enjoyed white privilege whether you think so or not. NOW I'm done. (expecting a ban for this rant, but whatever. My cycle is done.)

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:24 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Anyway, I really don't care about Texas one way or the other. I visited; I could tell the location wasn't a good fit for me; end of story. That's why I suggested OP visit. What I was saying is that to simply write off any concerns about being a minority as "GRRR WE'RE DIVERSE SHUT UP YOU TEXAS HATERS" is silly and misleading, and to make someone feel bad because they have those concerns and "GRRR I'M A TEXAN HOW DARE YOU" is an asshole-y thing to do, ESPECIALLY when your response to the actual concern is misleading.


I'm going for ASD, but I'm pretty set on Emory.

Also, this whole Texas diversity convo really seems like the perfect time to bring up white privilege. I figured, though, it wouldn't help me at all and just perpetuate the animosity. Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Mods, please feel free to lock or delete.

Thank you everyone for the actual useful advice. Y'all know who you are :wink:

TIL URM had white privilege


If you're talking about brinicolec, then you should know i wasnt talking about brinicolec. in fact, i was expressing gratitude for actually helping me with my question.

lmao, but I see you around not pulling punches with your responses on the boards, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. I actually feel honored that you posted on mine! Life goal complete. Forget law school. I can die now with no regrets.

If I offended any URM's. I'm deeply sorry. I genuinely mean that.

edit: if you grew up with all Caucasians and only Caucasian friends, didnt struggle for money even once, had zero minority friends, wore boat shoes and polos, chewed tobacco, and your daddy took care of everything when times got "tough", then I don't care if you're technically a minority, because you're basically a step above an Uncle Tom and enjoyed white privilege whether you think so or not. NOW I'm done. (expecting a ban for this rant, but whatever. My cycle is done.)


Pretty sure prezrand, the one defending texas, is urm.

Also, unfortunately you don't get banned on here for having shitty opinions. A non sequitur at that. Nobody brought it up but you felt the need to share. Thank you.

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby pleasesendhelp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 am

lymenheimer wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Anyway, I really don't care about Texas one way or the other. I visited; I could tell the location wasn't a good fit for me; end of story. That's why I suggested OP visit. What I was saying is that to simply write off any concerns about being a minority as "GRRR WE'RE DIVERSE SHUT UP YOU TEXAS HATERS" is silly and misleading, and to make someone feel bad because they have those concerns and "GRRR I'M A TEXAN HOW DARE YOU" is an asshole-y thing to do, ESPECIALLY when your response to the actual concern is misleading.


I'm going for ASD, but I'm pretty set on Emory.

Also, this whole Texas diversity convo really seems like the perfect time to bring up white privilege. I figured, though, it wouldn't help me at all and just perpetuate the animosity. Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Mods, please feel free to lock or delete.

Thank you everyone for the actual useful advice. Y'all know who you are :wink:

TIL URM had white privilege


If you're talking about brinicolec, then you should know i wasnt talking about brinicolec. in fact, i was expressing gratitude for actually helping me with my question.

lmao, but I see you around not pulling punches with your responses on the boards, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. I actually feel honored that you posted on mine! Life goal complete. Forget law school. I can die now with no regrets.

If I offended any URM's. I'm deeply sorry. I genuinely mean that.

edit: if you grew up with all Caucasians and only Caucasian friends, didnt struggle for money even once, had zero minority friends, wore boat shoes and polos, chewed tobacco, and your daddy took care of everything when times got "tough", then I don't care if you're technically a minority, because you're basically a step above an Uncle Tom and enjoyed white privilege whether you think so or not. NOW I'm done. (expecting a ban for this rant, but whatever. My cycle is done.)


Pretty sure prezrand, the one defending texas, is urm.

Also, unfortunately you don't get banned on here for having shitty opinions. A non sequitur at that. Nobody brought it up but you felt the need to share. Thank you.


I keep saying I'm done, but you keep bringing me back. I can't quit you. Can we be friends?

User avatar
TripleM
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby TripleM » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:12 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:My goal to be a prof is way down the road, like after ten twenty thirty years of practicing law. As I mentioned earlier, I have no real options but Law, and I do enjoy it based on what little info I have (undergrad law courses).



What do you mean by this? Not being sarcastic or mean, but why is it the only "real" option?

I don't think people are trying to attack you, they're trying, sometimes with little diplomacy, to encourage you to broaden your thinking. It might help you be happier, sooner.

There are other ways of making money, and perhaps with less risk and misery. You could, for example, become a paramedic firefighter. They are in high demand. At my department the odds of being hired are tough, but better than the odds of making it into BL and then continuing in BL long enough to save piles of money. The pay will be six figures without any overtime and you only have to work 10 days/ month. With the other days you could pursue some other sort of part-time work you liked (say, related to literature) or you could work overtime, pushing your wages near the 150k mark. In the meantime you will have accrued no debt, so you'll get to keep roughly as much money as you would if you were in big law but paying loans.

If for some reason you still wanted to wait 30 years, you'd be able to retire not only with substantial savings but also with a pension. And from a literary standpoint, you'd have much better stories!

Just one example of why I want to understand more about why law is the only "real" option.

I get why you feel attacked. I'd feel that way if I were you, too. But I'd encourage you to set that aside and ask yourself, "Why are all of these people taking time out of their days to encourage me to rethink this?"

It's possible that everyone who has posted here is a jerk who has tons of time to troll TLS forums and they've all joined into a coordinated effort stretching across the continent in order to target you personally. That is one possibility.

pleasesendhelp wrote:Is it so wrong to have an end game that's not Law, especially since people say that it's the worst job on the world? I've resigned myself to hating my job, but I'm not part of the generation that thinks along the lines of, "if you love your job you won't work a day of your life". Nah, work is work. Get it done, get paid. I have no illusions about a glamorous high paying job. If y'all are passionate about law, awesome, but I don't have the luxury of doing what I love cause I got people to take care of, so I'm gonna do what I can do make that money, and when I'm old and grey and financially secure, I'll pursue my dream.

I think you're maybe confusing what they're saying. They're not saying that there's something wrong with having an endgame other than law. In fact, quite the opposite. They're saying that maybe you can reach your endgame sooner, and with less stress. They're 100% pro-endgame and that's why they're saying what they're saying. Basically the question is, what if the round-about route you feel is safer is actually filled with more mines than the direct route? If your goal is safety, do you still take the round-about route?

Finally- I agree with your general suspicion of all things Texas. #TexasSecession
Last edited by TripleM on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby pleasesendhelp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm

TripleM wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:My goal to be a prof is way down the road, like after ten twenty thirty years of practicing law. As I mentioned earlier, I have no real options but Law, and I do enjoy it based on what little info I have (undergrad law courses).



What do you mean by this? Not being sarcastic or mean, but why is it the only "real" option?

I don't think people are trying to attack you, they're trying, sometimes with little diplomacy, to encourage you to broaden your thinking. It might help you be happier, sooner.

There are other ways of making money, and perhaps with less risk and misery. You could, for example, become a paramedic firefighter. They are in high demand. At my department the odds of being hired are tough, but better than the odds of making it into BL and then continuing in BL long enough to save piles of money. The pay will be six figures without any overtime and for this, you only have to work 10 days/ month. With the other days you could pursue some other sort of part-time work you liked (say, related to literature) or you could work overtime, pushing your wages near the 150k mark. In the meantime you will have accrued no debt, so you'll get to keep roughly as much money as you would if you were in big law but paying loans.

If for some reason you still wanted to wait 30 years, you'd be able to retire not only with substantial savings but also with a pension. And from a literary standpoint, you'd have much better stories!

Just one example of why I want to understand more about why law is the only "real" option.

I get why you feel attacked. I'd feel that way if I were you, too. But I'd encourage you to set that aside and ask yourself, "Why are all of these people taking time out of their days to encourage me to rethink this?"

It's possible that everyone who has posted here is a jerk who has tons of time to troll TLS forums and they've all joined into a coordinated effort stretching across the continent in order to target you personally. That is one possibility.

pleasesendhelp wrote:Is it so wrong to have an end game that's not Law, especially since people say that it's the worst job on the world? I've resigned myself to hating my job, but I'm not part of the generation that thinks along the lines of, "if you love your job you won't work a day of your life". Nah, work is work. Get it done, get paid. I have no illusions about a glamorous high paying job. If y'all are passionate about law, awesome, but I don't have the luxury of doing what I love cause I got people to take care of, so I'm gonna do what I can do make that money, and when I'm old and grey and financially secure, I'll pursue my dream.

I think you're maybe confusing what they're saying. They're not saying that there's something wrong with having an endgame other than law. In fact, quite the opposite. They're saying that maybe you can reach your endgame sooner, and with less stress. They're 100% pro-endgame and that's why they're saying what they're saying. Basically the question is, what if the round-about route you feel is safer is actually filled with more mines than the direct route? If your goal is safety, do you still take the round-about route?

Finally- I agree with your general suspicion of all things Texas. #TexasSecession


I get what you're saying. The reason why I say I have no other real options, is because I don't have any real immediate options. I could tutor, or work in retail, but I want a professional job, and the only one I am able to pursue is a legal career. I am not willing to wait another year to start making money because I need to become financially secure to pay off medical bills from the past, and I see no reason to in order to get into better schools because I've gotten very generous offers from very good schools. As I mentioned before, I do enjoy studying the law. Im just not keen on being a corporate shill for my entire life. My end game could be reached sooner sure, but I wouldn't have the money to cushion the years of study with little pay. I plan on paying my dues, struggling (some may argue needlessly, but I would disagree) then pursuing my dream of teaching. Also, and I said this before too, I am well aware of the risks and lack of guarantee. It's a risk I'm willing to take, especially since there's no ante in my situation.

cavalier1138
Posts: 2768
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:13 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:I get what you're saying. The reason why I say I have no other real options, is because I don't have any real immediate options. I could tutor, or work in retail, but I want a professional job, and the only one I am able to pursue is a legal career. I am not willing to wait another year to start making money because I need to become financially secure to pay off medical bills from the past, and I see no reason to in order to get into better schools because I've gotten very generous offers from very good schools. As I mentioned before, I do enjoy studying the law. Im just not keen on being a corporate shill for my entire life. My end game could be reached sooner sure, but I wouldn't have the money to cushion the years of study with little pay. I plan on paying my dues, struggling (some may argue needlessly, but I would disagree) then pursuing my dream of teaching. Also, and I said this before too, I am well aware of the risks and lack of guarantee. It's a risk I'm willing to take, especially since there's no ante in my situation.


How are you still doing this to yourself?

Of course you have other options. You have more immediate options, like doing anything at all besides law school to make money. But I do like your assertion that you can't possibly wait another year to start making money, even as you plan on waiting three years to start making money.

You're not taking a calculated risk; you're just betting everything on a half-ass "plan" that will never get you what you want. Christ. If you had done the tiniest bit of legwork on your own when researching career options out of these law schools, you wouldn't even need this thread, because you wouldn't have applied.

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby pleasesendhelp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:I get what you're saying. The reason why I say I have no other real options, is because I don't have any real immediate options. I could tutor, or work in retail, but I want a professional job, and the only one I am able to pursue is a legal career. I am not willing to wait another year to start making money because I need to become financially secure to pay off medical bills from the past, and I see no reason to in order to get into better schools because I've gotten very generous offers from very good schools. As I mentioned before, I do enjoy studying the law. Im just not keen on being a corporate shill for my entire life. My end game could be reached sooner sure, but I wouldn't have the money to cushion the years of study with little pay. I plan on paying my dues, struggling (some may argue needlessly, but I would disagree) then pursuing my dream of teaching. Also, and I said this before too, I am well aware of the risks and lack of guarantee. It's a risk I'm willing to take, especially since there's no ante in my situation.


How are you still doing this to yourself?

Of course you have other options. You have more immediate options, like doing anything at all besides law school to make money. But I do like your assertion that you can't possibly wait another year to start making money, even as you plan on waiting three years to start making money.

You're not taking a calculated risk; you're just betting everything on a half-ass "plan" that will never get you what you want. Christ. If you had done the tiniest bit of legwork on your own when researching career options out of these law schools, you wouldn't even need this thread, because you wouldn't have applied.


It's precisely because I didn't do the legwork before that I'm on this path. Y'all act like I can just drop everything after having invested so much time and money getting into law school and start trying to get a PhD. I get you dude. I should be working straight to become a prof, but that's not currently an option. Why is that so hard to understand?

cavalier1138
Posts: 2768
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:28 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:I get what you're saying. The reason why I say I have no other real options, is because I don't have any real immediate options. I could tutor, or work in retail, but I want a professional job, and the only one I am able to pursue is a legal career. I am not willing to wait another year to start making money because I need to become financially secure to pay off medical bills from the past, and I see no reason to in order to get into better schools because I've gotten very generous offers from very good schools. As I mentioned before, I do enjoy studying the law. Im just not keen on being a corporate shill for my entire life. My end game could be reached sooner sure, but I wouldn't have the money to cushion the years of study with little pay. I plan on paying my dues, struggling (some may argue needlessly, but I would disagree) then pursuing my dream of teaching. Also, and I said this before too, I am well aware of the risks and lack of guarantee. It's a risk I'm willing to take, especially since there's no ante in my situation.


How are you still doing this to yourself?

Of course you have other options. You have more immediate options, like doing anything at all besides law school to make money. But I do like your assertion that you can't possibly wait another year to start making money, even as you plan on waiting three years to start making money.

You're not taking a calculated risk; you're just betting everything on a half-ass "plan" that will never get you what you want. Christ. If you had done the tiniest bit of legwork on your own when researching career options out of these law schools, you wouldn't even need this thread, because you wouldn't have applied.


It's precisely because I didn't do the legwork before that I'm on this path. Y'all act like I can just drop everything after having invested so much time and money getting into law school and start trying to get a PhD. I get you dude. I should be working straight to become a prof, but that's not currently an option. Why is that so hard to understand?


I have no trouble understanding what you're saying; you're just wrong. For someone who analogized this to poker earlier, I'm surprised you haven't figured out that you don't double-down on a bad bet. You walk away from the table.

Again, there are literally dozens of ways right now that you could be getting yourself set up for a well-paying professional career that don't involve three years of schooling for a career you likely won't get and clearly don't want. And there are even more ways you could make enough money to support yourself through the PhD application process. But instead, it's like you looked at all the possibilities in front of you and opted for the one that is least likely to result in success.

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
I have no trouble understanding what you're saying; you're just wrong. For someone who analogized this to poker earlier, I'm surprised you haven't figured out that you don't double-down on a bad bet. You walk away from the table.

Again, there are literally dozens of ways right now that you could be getting yourself set up for a well-paying professional career that don't involve three years of schooling for a career you likely won't get and clearly don't want. And there are even more ways you could make enough money to support yourself through the PhD application process. But instead, it's like you looked at all the possibilities in front of you and opted for the one that is least likely to result in success.

If it isn't clear at this point, dude's a non-committal bigot. How many times has he said that he's done with this thread? He's probably right that there are no other options for him. I wouldn't hire a dude with this attitude towards life/people either.

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby pleasesendhelp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I have no trouble understanding what you're saying; you're just wrong. For someone who analogized this to poker earlier, I'm surprised you haven't figured out that you don't double-down on a bad bet. You walk away from the table.

Again, there are literally dozens of ways right now that you could be getting yourself set up for a well-paying professional career that don't involve three years of schooling for a career you likely won't get and clearly don't want. And there are even more ways you could make enough money to support yourself through the PhD application process. But instead, it's like you looked at all the possibilities in front of you and opted for the one that is least likely to result in success.

If it isn't clear at this point, dude's a non-committal bigot. How many times has he said that he's done with this thread? He's probably right that there are no other options for him. I wouldn't hire a dude with this attitude towards life/people either.


lol I keep saying I'm done, yet people keep posting. So being the courteous person that I am, I continue to respond. Also, I'm bored.

Cavalier: those other options aren't guaranteed either

candidlatke
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 3:52 am

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Postby candidlatke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 pm

as a minority at UT who's also not from texas originally, i've never felt or heard of any other people in my section feel discriminated against by other students. the atmosphere here is really good and i do mean that. even if the minority groups here are a lot smaller, they're very much supported by the school and people are genuinely friendly. the asian population is really small in the law school but there are a lot in the greater UT campus and the professional community in austin - you'll see as soon as you go downtown.

austin is amazing and speaking as someone who's lived in LA/SF/Chi, it's probably between LA & SF in terms of progressiveness. houston and dallas are similar with dallas probably more conservative than the others but still overall open/progressive. you'll still see pockets of old money/racism but the same can be said about LA/SF/Chi as well. you'll meet firm/market combinations that are quite a bit more uncomfortable to minorities if you don't know how to conform to the old-boy image but you'll learn which of them are that way and can make the judgment on if you want to invest on them.


that being said, i would highly recommend taking some time off and doing some growing. i don't know how to put this nicely but the tone/content in your posts seriously reflects a lack of poise/maturity that make me dubious about your ability to do well in law school & probably beyond




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GettingToMeh, McMooch, nimbus cloud, scharfnyc, xn3345 and 9 guests