Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mjb447

Silver

Re: Emory or UT (I know, enough of these BS posts already)

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:Did not expect to get roasted so hard lmao (crying internally)
Worse to take out loans and waste three years of your life at a law school with "borderline abysmal" or slightly better outcomes in the faint hope that you'll land a biglaw job (that you'll probably hate every second of) so that sixish years from now you can finally start doing what you want to do.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:26 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Problem is time, and money. For me to pursue a PhD program, I'd have to spend at least 2+ years (though i'd get paid just enough to get by). The path Im on now, If i bust my ass and do well, I will be able to make a living. Yeah big law is the goal, but even mid law would be better (imo) than jumping straight into a PhD program. B school is out, because I'm terrible with numbers, so Law is the logical choice for me, for now. Things might change, but Im leaning towards Emory since I wont be in debt at all if I go there (COL is negligible since i already live in the area)

No one seems to want to answer my question though...

seems to be a toss up between UT and Emory

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:27 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
Problem is time, and money. For me to pursue a PhD program, I'd have to spend at least 2+ years (though i'd get paid just enough to get by). The path Im on now, If i bust my ass and do well, I will be able to make a living. Yeah big law is the goal, but even mid law would be better (imo) than jumping straight into a PhD program. B school is out, because I'm terrible with numbers, so Law is the logical choice for me, for now. Things might change, but Im leaning towards Emory since I wont be in debt at all if I go there (COL is negligible since i already live in the area)

It's not a toss-up if you shouldn't be going to law school at all. Your stated reasoning is completely incoherent, and you need to take some serious time considering your goals and your career path. Nothing you've said so far is reasonable.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Better to pursue a career you actually want, but whatever.

If you would be happy making $65k in Atlanta and will have no debt then I guess Emory. But the real answer is don't go

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:29 pm

mjb447 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:Did not expect to get roasted so hard lmao (crying internally)
Worse to take out loans and waste three years of your life at a law school with "borderline abysmal" or slightly better outcomes in the faint hope that you'll land a biglaw job (that you'll probably hate every second of) so that sixish years from now you can finally start doing what you want to do.
True, but Emory would be free. COL is also low since I already live in ATL.

Truth be told, I'm trying to convince myself to go to UT.

My main question I guess, ignoring where I want to practice or live etc., which is the better option (i think the answer with all the conditions is overwhelmingly Emory, with a few UT here and there).

UT with ~90k

or

Emory Full Ride

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:30 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
"the penis mightier"

why do you say 60k? Or are you assuming I wont make BigLaw. That's harsh man. Real harsh.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:31 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

My main question I guess, ignoring where I want to practice or live etc., which is the better option (i think the answer with all the conditions is overwhelmingly Emory, with a few UT here and there).

UT with ~90k

or

Emory Full Ride
Oh, if it would be free, then go to Emory and enjoy the biglaw gravy train!

(the bolded text really helps, ty)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
"the penis mightier"

why do you say 60k? Or are you assuming I wont make BigLaw. That's harsh man. Real harsh.
I'm holding up four envelopes. One of them contains $1,000. The others contain $50. Do you assume you're going to pick the big-money envelope?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm

mjb447 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

UT with ~90k

or

Emory Full Ride
Oh, if it would be free, then go to Emory and enjoy the biglaw gravy train!

(the bolded text really helps, ty)
i figured it'd help to get back on topic since I didnt ask whether or not I should be a lawyer at all. I was just ruthlessly assaulted. Thought this was a safe place :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:34 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
"the penis mightier"

I'm holding up four envelopes. One of them contains $1,000. The others contain $50. Do you assume you're going to pick the big-money envelope?
I only get to choose one? 50$ is better than 0$, so this is a win-win. You gotta have one with 0$ to make it risky.

Edit: to be absolutely clear, I do not in the slightest assume I will get a BigLaw job. Thats why I asked UT or Emory despite the difference in scholly, since UT has better employment numbers. I want to work in Atl, but if Texas is where I get a job, I've got no qualms

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:51 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
"the penis mightier"

I only get to choose one? 50$ is better than 0$, so this is a win-win. You gotta have one with 0$ to make it risky.

Edit: to be absolutely clear, I do not in the slightest assume I will get a BigLaw job. Thats why I asked UT or Emory despite the difference in scholly, since UT has better employment numbers. I want to work in Atl, but if Texas is where I get a job, I've got no qualms
The point is that you'll have a job out of either school, so no envelope would actually be $0. The point is that you can't actually count on biglaw, and since you clearly don't want to consider that your most likely outcome from these schools is about $45-65k a year...

But the real point is that you clearly don't actually want to be a lawyer. You should not be wasting time or money on law school on the chance of getting some really good money for a few years before you pursue your real goals. I don't know why you think that everyone in this thread is telling you not to pursue your dreams. Everyone is literally telling you to pursue your dreams instead of taking a ridiculously convoluted and implausible path to them.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote: I get y'all, but the plan goes like this:

Go to law school
Get the Big Law Job and stick to it for as long as possible
Then think about academia

. . .

Professor is the end game, but I'll stay in Big Law until they fire me or I make enough money so I dont have to worry about COL while pursuing a PHD.

You've seen rounders right? Professorship is the World Poker Tournament, and Big Law is games with John Malkovich in the basement of a Chinese restaurant.

Basically, I need money, and lots of it to pursue a career in academia without having to eat ramen and feel less shitty about brown nosing professors during my PhD education.

It's my ideal plan, but not my only one.
pleasesendhelp wrote:Edit: to be absolutely clear, I do not in the slightest assume I will get a BigLaw job.
Better think about how some of those other plans are going to work, because biglaw is absolutely central to the (still pretty bad) one you've told us about.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
"the penis mightier"

The point is that you'll have a job out of either school, so no envelope would actually be $0. The point is that you can't actually count on biglaw, and since you clearly don't want to consider that your most likely outcome from these schools is about $45-65k a year...

But the real point is that you clearly don't actually want to be a lawyer. You should not be wasting time or money on law school on the chance of getting some really good money for a few years before you pursue your real goals. I don't know why you think that everyone in this thread is telling you not to pursue your dreams. Everyone is literally telling you to pursue your dreams instead of taking a ridiculously convoluted and implausible path to them.
I get what you're saying. Im not sure if you know about how hard it is to become a professor, actually, I think you do know. I really do appreciate the "roasting", especially since I've been hearing from people i know that i should do law and that it suits me and blah fucking blah. It's nice to hear the hard truth. There are a lot of other reasons as to why im so adamant about postponing pursuing academia that I dont want to share, and I think if I were to share those reasons, the conversation would go a lot differently. But really, I appreciate the advice. Much more valuable than a "pick one or the other" response.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:15 pm

mjb447 wrote:

Go to law school

. . .

Professor is the end game, but I'll stay in Big Law until they fire me or I make enough money so I dont have to worry about COL while pursuing a PHD.

You've seen rounders right? Professorship is the World Poker Tournament, and Big Law is games with John Malkovich in the basement of a Chinese restaurant.

Basically, I need money, and lots of it to pursue a career in academia without having to eat ramen and feel less shitty about brown nosing professors during my PhD education.

pleasesendhelp wrote:Edit: to be absolutely clear, I do not in the slightest assume I will get a BigLaw job.
Better think about how some of those other plans are going to work, because biglaw is absolutely central to the (still pretty bad) one you've told us about.
I exaggerated the necessity for Big Law, I'm fine with mid law, but the optimal situation would be big law. If I choose Emory, I'd be debt free. If i successfully negotiate with UT, Id have very manageable debt. First step is to get in and out with as little debt as possible. Im a 0L. My plans can change in a heartbeat, or go horribly wrong. All this is hypothetical after all.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

Go to law school

. . .

I exaggerated the necessity for Big Law, I'm fine with mid law, but the optimal situation would be big law. If I choose Emory, I'd be debt free. If i successfully negotiate with UT, Id have very manageable debt. First step is to get in and out with as little debt as possible. Im a 0L. My plans can change in a heartbeat, or go horribly wrong. All this is hypothetical after all.
It is totally fine for plans to change from 0L to the time you are a 2L. Mine did, but they changed to include big law, not for that to be the goal from the outset. And when you say you'd be fine with mid-law, what does that mean? True mid-law firms that pay $100-120k are harder jobs to get than big law.

Would you be ok working at a 10-20 attorney firm making $55-$65k?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:40 pm

trebekismyhero wrote: Would you be ok working at a 10-20 attorney firm making $55-$65k?
Big law would be ideal, but any job would be welcome. Except for personal injury law. I refuse to do that.

I would, considering my potentially low debt, accept most jobs made available to me. I dont give a shit about prestige. I just want to be self sufficient and be able to have enough savings so that when I make the transition to academia, I wont struggle too much. Also hoping to bag a nice wealthy girl while in law school who will bank roll me during my studies.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm

half moon wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote: You're right, there's no reason to mention it in the choosing a law school thread. Just thought this was a community where I could share a bit. It's not like I asked how I should go about becoming a professor. Just wanted to share with you guys since you've all been so much help during this whole process. But I guess my end game is a stupid ass one.
Not stupid I don't think, just that the way I initially read it was that you were not sold on a career as a lawyer and would be looking for an exit asap. Based on the way the convo has turned though, I'm starting to think you do want a career in law, and then see what happens quite a ways down the road? If that's the case, I'll second brinicolec and say visit Texas. If you feel comfortable there, I'd pick it because it gives you a better shot at the job outcome you want, just most likely in Texas. If it doesn't feel like a place you'd be OK living, I'd go with Emory because its a good school for Atlanta and somewhat limits your debt
Im visiting at the end of this month, and I hear amazing things about the school and the city. So i'll definitely take your advice and
brinicolec wrote:
's advice

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm

half moon wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote: You're right, there's no reason to mention it in the choosing a law school thread. Just thought this was a community where I could share a bit. It's not like I asked how I should go about becoming a professor. Just wanted to share with you guys since you've all been so much help during this whole process. But I guess my end game is a stupid ass one.
Not stupid I don't think, just that the way I initially read it was that you were not sold on a career as a lawyer and would be looking for an exit asap. Based on the way the convo has turned though, I'm starting to think you do want a career in law, and then see what happens quite a ways down the road? If that's the case, I'll second brinicolec and say visit Texas. If you feel comfortable there, I'd pick it because it gives you a better shot at the job outcome you want, just most likely in Texas. If it doesn't feel like a place you'd be OK living, I'd go with Emory because its a good school for Atlanta and somewhat limits your debt
Im visiting at the end of this month, and I hear amazing things about the school and the city. So i'll definitely take your advice and
brinicolec wrote:
's advice

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Okay, I'll actually pick an option, Emory. Location and money wise, it just makes better sense.

I'm not going to pile on because I really feel bad at how this thread went for you lol, even if I agree with the majority of the comments...But..You really need to prepare yourself for potentially not getting a Big Law gig, and idk how invested in law you really are since you seem to have no actual area of interest.

Also, you talk about getting a PhD like you're going to go pick up a new pair of shoes. Grad school is difficult and tedious, and lol at it taking two years, try adding another three to four years to that number. And, idk how willing to go back to school you, or anyone, for that matter, will be in your fifties. I'm willing to bet money on not at all.

Side note: I'm SCREAMING at all these people getting in their feelings over you not wanting to live in Texas and having legitimate concerns about diversity. BUT Texas has 'delicious Vietnamese food' so you'll be good according to them.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 pm

To be clear, I'm not generally of the opinion that 0Ls really need a plan, particularly one that's set in stone. It's just that, if your long-term (and now it sounds like also medium-term) plan doesn't involve being a lawyer, it's worth seriously rethinking whether law school is right for you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, if you want to be a prof (in literature), go get your PhD and forget law. This is a weird and terrible plan and it's probably not going to help you in academia.
Don't see how it's weird. I don't want to be poor while I get my PhD and I'm in no rush to get it. I have the opportunity to make money as a lawyer, so what's all the fuss about? Can I only lateral to consulting or IB? Do I have to limit myself to what's typical of other lawyers/lawyer dropouts? I'm planning to get a PhD after like twenty years if I even last that long at a firm. What's wrong with having dreams..
You don't have any idea what you're going to want to do in 20 years. Also if you want to get a PhD in 20 years, there's nothing about that decision that has anything to do with your decision now, so there's no reason to mention it. You're right that you can do whatever you like, but the PhD thing doesn't have anything to do with what you're choosing to do now.
You're right, there's no reason to mention it in the choosing a law school thread. Just thought this was a community where I could share a bit. It's not like I asked how I should go about becoming a professor. Just wanted to share with you guys since you've all been so much help during this whole process. But I guess my end game is a stupid ass one.
I think the problem was that by mentioning it in this thread, people believed you saw some kind of connection between working as a lawyer and getting a PhD in literature. I get that you didn't mean that, but that was the conclusion I jumped to, and I think other people did, too, since as it stands, that goal doesn't have any relevance to what school you should choose.

(Completely apart from going to law school, however, getting a PhD in literature with the hopes of working as a professor is just a bad idea these days. Personal enrichment if you can afford it? Sure. But the market for literature PhDs is absolutely, completely abysmal - even in community colleges. And unconventional candidates (i.e. people changing careers after 25 years) have an even harder time these days. But who knows? Maybe in 25 years all the problems with higher ed will have been reversed. A girl can dream.)

Re: schools - since you have the free ride to Emory and want to be in Atlanta, I would strongly vote go to Emory. They will place much better in Atlanta than UT and you will have more flexibility if you're not worried about paying off debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, if you want to be a prof (in literature), go get your PhD and forget law. This is a weird and terrible plan and it's probably not going to help you in academia.
Don't see how it's weird. I don't want to be poor while I get my PhD and I'm in no rush to get it. I have the opportunity to make money as a lawyer, so what's all the fuss about? Can I only lateral to consulting or IB? Do I have to limit myself to what's typical of other lawyers/lawyer dropouts? I'm planning to get a PhD after like twenty years if I even last that long at a firm. What's wrong with having dreams..
You don't have any idea what you're going to want to do in 20 years. Also if you want to get a PhD in 20 years, there's nothing about that decision that has anything to do with your decision now, so there's no reason to mention it. You're right that you can do whatever you like, but the PhD thing doesn't have anything to do with what you're choosing to do now.
You're right, there's no reason to mention it in the choosing a law school thread. Just thought this was a community where I could share a bit. It's not like I asked how I should go about becoming a professor. Just wanted to share with you guys since you've all been so much help during this whole process. But I guess my end game is a stupid ass one.
I think the problem was that by mentioning it in this thread, people believed you saw some kind of connection between working as a lawyer and getting a PhD in literature. I get that you didn't mean that, but that was the conclusion I jumped to, and I think other people did, too, since as it stands, that goal doesn't have any relevance to what school you should choose.

(Completely apart from going to law school, however, getting a PhD in literature with the hopes of working as a professor is just a bad idea these days. Personal enrichment if you can afford it? Sure. But the market for literature PhDs is absolutely, completely abysmal - even in community colleges. And unconventional candidates (i.e. people changing careers after 25 years) have an even harder time these days. But who knows? Maybe in 25 years all the problems with higher ed will have been reversed. A girl can dream.)

Re: schools - since you have the free ride to Emory and want to be in Atlanta, I would strongly vote go to Emory. They will place much better in Atlanta than UT and you will have more flexibility if you're not worried about paying off debt.
Thanks for the breakdown. I can see why people thought it ridonkulous the way I presented it. Definitely should have been more clear on my part. What a shit storm it created.

So to all who rode this roller coaster with me, I apologize for the opacity of my words (looking at you cavalier) and hope there is no ill will.

My main reluctance, despite the generous scholly, is that I predict that UT will keep rising, and by the time I graduate, the employment numbers will improve. Same could be said of Emory. I guess that 6-7% difference really makes a big difference to me. Even though Im not BigLaw or bust, BigLaw is my goal. I'll have to see after UT ASD at the end of this month and Emory ASD at the beginning of next. Im still in the running for NYU, HLS, and UVA, but im not so foolish as to pay sticker. Or am I? Tune in next time.

Anyways, Thank you all for the engaging conversation. I learned quite a lot (could have done without some of the condescension though).

Good Night to all, and to all a Good Night!

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:52 pm

brinicolec wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:I posted this in Reddit if you want to chime in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... h=5c54f425

Here's the text:

Hey all, you may not recognize me, but I'm that guy who gives lots of unsolicited advice and may have ruined some of yalls futures (though I do try my best to help). Now, the tables have turned..

Here's what I got
Emory - near full ride, with lots of ties professionally and through family in Atl, will have low COA

Ut - ~90k, no ties (haven't submitted a reconsideration form yet, so maybe more)

Difference in big law employment is around 7% (can't apply for fed since I'm a former criminal. I'm still waiting on some schools (NYU, UVA, and HLS, but not counting on it at all. Even if I got in, I would likely not go due to $$$)

Main goal is to come back to ATL, but the employment numbers at Emory are borderline abysmal (UT isnt that much better. Also, don't mind Austin for three years, but I'm Asian, so living in Houston/Dallas might be tough. UT has "approximately 65 asians" and open carry laws, so that's a bummer.

Also, end game is to go back and get a PhD in literature, not law.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Go to Emory. You aren't built for UT
That part you bolded was maybe uncalled for, but for minorities, the struggle is real. But that's a whole other conversation
Houston is more diverse than Chicago, LA, NYC, and every other major city lmfao. Have you ever lived in Texas? Man, I swear people on TLS are in this liberal-elitist bubble and they will never escape
I sincerely apologize. I didn't mean to say Texas in general wasn't diverse. I was just shocked by the letter I got from the UT Asian society. I've never been and I jumped to conclusions. I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you and all the other Texans. I just wanted advice on where to go..
First of all, PrezRand is sensitive when it comes to Texas, so don't feel the need to apologize.

TLdr; Ignore PrezRand, he's touchy about Texas.
I know you always mean well and generally try to be helpful...but gaslighting much?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 am

Blue664 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Here's the text:

Hey all, you may not recognize me, but I'm that guy who gives lots of unsolicited advice and may have ruined some of yalls futures (though I do try my best to help). Now, the tables have turned..

Here's what I got
Emory - near full ride, with lots of ties professionally and through family in Atl, will have low COA

Ut - ~90k, no ties (haven't submitted a reconsideration form yet, so maybe more)

Difference in big law employment is around 7% (can't apply for fed since I'm a former criminal. I'm still waiting on some schools (NYU, UVA, and HLS, but not counting on it at all. Even if I got in, I would likely not go due to $$$)

Main goal is to come back to ATL, but the employment numbers at Emory are borderline abysmal (UT isnt that much better. Also, don't mind Austin for three years, but I'm Asian, so living in Houston/Dallas might be tough. UT has "approximately 65 asians" and open carry laws, so that's a bummer.

That part you bolded was maybe uncalled for, but for minorities, the struggle is real. But that's a whole other conversation
Houston is more diverse than Chicago, LA, NYC, and every other major city lmfao. Have you ever lived in Texas? Man, I swear people on TLS are in this liberal-elitist bubble and they will never escape
I sincerely apologize. I didn't mean to say Texas in general wasn't diverse. I was just shocked by the letter I got from the UT Asian society. I've never been and I jumped to conclusions. I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you and all the other Texans. I just wanted advice on where to go..
First of all, PrezRand is sensitive when it comes to Texas, so don't feel the need to apologize.

I know you always mean well and generally try to be helpful...but gaslighting much?

Lol no. I said what I said and I 100000% meant exactly what I said.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:24 am

Blue664 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Here's the text:

Here's what I got

She gets mad when I defend Texas from stereotypes

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”