Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LBall8287
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby LBall8287 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 am

Both schools are fairly large and well known state schools, but I have no interest in practicing in either state. Tier 2 is closer to where I might like to practice with a fairly good reach into the market that I want. Tier 3 might give me a better chance to graduate higher in the class (smaller class sizes etc.) and I have fairly good family connections in the legal market that I want to move into. My question is, assume the greater amount of debt to attend a more prestigious, but larger, Tier 2 and be closer to the market I want or assume less debt and attend the smaller and perhaps easier to rise to the top Tier 3?

Overall indebtedness would probably look something like Tier 2=$80-90k in debt (all living expenses included) and Tier 3=$40-60k in debt (all living expenses included)

PS. I am going to law school, so please don't recommend that I take a year off and retake. I would be happy at either school.

User avatar
Ronan
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby Ronan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:53 am

LBall8287 wrote:Both schools are fairly large and well known state schools, but I have no interest in practicing in either state. Tier 2 is closer to where I might like to practice with a fairly good reach into the market that I want. Tier 3 might give me a better chance to graduate higher in the class (smaller class sizes etc.) and I have fairly good family connections in the legal market that I want to move into. My question is, assume the greater amount of debt to attend a more prestigious, but larger, Tier 2 and be closer to the market I want or assume less debt and attend the smaller and perhaps easier to rise to the top Tier 3?

Overall indebtedness would probably look something like Tier 2=$80-90k in debt (all living expenses included) and Tier 3=$40-60k in debt (all living expenses included)

PS. I am going to law school, so please don't recommend that I take a year off and retake. I would be happy at either school.


Stopped reading after the statement about not having interest in practicing in either state.

Also, how do you reconcile the two bolded statements?
Last edited by Ronan on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 am

LBall8287 wrote:Both schools are fairly large and well known state schools, but I have no interest in practicing in either state.


For once, I don't need to actually know the names of the schools. Neither of these is a good option, and you need to do some serious research into how regional job placement works from schools in this tier. There is no such thing as a T2 school that places well outside its region, and there sure as hell isn't a T3 school that does that. Since you didn't give anything resembling enough information, I can't tell you which schools might have been better options for your region and your career goals, but just based on the scant information provided, I can say that two low-tier out-of-state schools are not good options for you in any circumstance.

Also, stop assuming that you're going to place above the median at a school just because of its ranking. You'll be graded on a curve with your classmates, and you'd be surprised how much motivation people feel to kick your ass in exams once they realize that their job prospects after school are nonexistent if they can't place in the top 10%.

I know, I know. You don't want to hear the only good advice that anyone responsible would give you in this situation, buuuuut... retake/reapply or don't go to law school.

Edit: Why do you keep asking the same question with different phrasing? Do you think that you're going to get different answers from people if you just change the way you frame your terrible options?
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 am

LBall8287 wrote:Both schools are fairly large and well known state schools, but I have no interest in practicing in either state. Tier 2 is closer to where I might like to practice with a fairly good reach into the market that I want. Tier 3 might give me a better chance to graduate higher in the class (smaller class sizes etc.) and I have fairly good family connections in the legal market that I want to move into. My question is, assume the greater amount of debt to attend a more prestigious, but larger, Tier 2 and be closer to the market I want or assume less debt and attend the smaller and perhaps easier to rise to the top Tier 3?

Overall indebtedness would probably look something like Tier 2=$80-90k in debt (all living expenses included) and Tier 3=$40-60k in debt (all living expenses included)

PS. I am going to law school, so please don't recommend that I take a year off and retake. I would be happy at either school.


You have applied to two schools that are not in the market you want to work. What do you want us to say? If you will not even name the schools or market, we will not be able to really assess your chances and best options. I will say this in general, Tier 2 and Tier 3 schools do not usually reach into other markets. So I think your assumptions are off from the very start. Also, I would not assume that a smaller school is easier to become top of the class (and you should never assume that you will be near the top, always judge your chances based on the median outcomes at the school).

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4059
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby zot1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:00 am

Duuude. It's almost as if you really want to be miserable. These are both terrible options because you don't want to practice in either state. Do not do this to yourself. Love yourself a little.

grades??
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby grades?? » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am

OP has made two threads and still doesn't get the answer OP wants. Retake or don't go.

User avatar
trebekismyhero
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 am

grades?? wrote:OP has made two threads and still doesn't get the answer OP wants. Retake or don't go.


Yep. OP you know the right answer here. Stop trying to get people to validate a bad decision. Do not go to law school right now. Retake. You have a decent GPA, a few more points on the LSAT and you can go to schools on a good scholarship that can actually achieve your goals

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
grades?? wrote:OP has made two threads and still doesn't get the answer OP wants. Retake or don't go.


Yep. OP you know the right answer here. Stop trying to get people to validate a bad decision. Do not go to law school right now. Retake. You have a decent GPA, a few more points on the LSAT and you can go to schools on a good scholarship that can actually achieve your goals


Does OP think that not putting down the name of the schools will change the answer? Also, OP only has 9 posts, pretty easy to find which one they mean.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4059
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Tier 3 (Full Ride) or Tier 2 (Half Ride)

Postby zot1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:08 am

jjcorvino wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
grades?? wrote:OP has made two threads and still doesn't get the answer OP wants. Retake or don't go.


Yep. OP you know the right answer here. Stop trying to get people to validate a bad decision. Do not go to law school right now. Retake. You have a decent GPA, a few more points on the LSAT and you can go to schools on a good scholarship that can actually achieve your goals


Does OP think that not putting down the name of the schools will change the answer? Also, OP only has 9 posts, pretty easy to find which one they mean.


Speaking of that, no, OP, you will not have easy access to the Dallas market from any of these schools.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: banjo, BrainsyK, Ronan, Veil of Ignorance and 12 guests