UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
libby
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby libby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm

LSAT: 163 (maxed out)
GPA: 3.89

Hoping to get into big-law for a few years straight out of graduation. If i strike-out, I wouldn't be completely over the idea of LRAP/public interest considering I work for legal aid now. Difference in cost of attendance would be about 90k (not considering interest). Grew up in Texas and went to UT for undergrad, so I'm starving for a new experience. Any thoughts?

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:30 pm

you have no other options?

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Wanting to do biglaw in Texas?

Justtrying2help
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby Justtrying2help » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:16 pm

This looks like a Texas or don't go situation. UVA would set you back like 300k after interest compounds. You don't seem absolutely sold on 10 consecutive years of LRAP (if it isn't repealed or retooled in that time).Texas is reasonable if you can get biglaw. UVA would only make logical sense if you have transformative wealth.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo

User avatar
ponderingmeerkat
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:25 am

Justtrying2help wrote: UVA would only make logical sense if you have transformative wealth.


And, to be completely honest, transformative wealth doesn't stay transformative if you blow 300K for a UVA JD.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4667
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 am

Yeah, my choice here would be neither. You didn't apply to any schools that gave you scholarships?

libby
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby libby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:you have no other options?


I got $$ from a few T20s but I'm set on UT or UVA

libby
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby libby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 pm

PrezRand wrote:Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo


Texas would probably be 150k, if that makes a difference

libby
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby libby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:36 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Wanting to do biglaw in Texas?

Ideally yes, but I'd also like to have the option of doing big-law in DC, and I don't think Texas would necessarily give me a good set-up for that

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby PrezRand » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:04 pm

libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo


Texas would probably be 150k, if that makes a difference

I think most people here would tell you that Texas at 150k is still kinda bad since you only have a 42% chance at BL.

libby
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby libby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:15 pm

PrezRand wrote:
libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo


Texas would probably be 150k, if that makes a difference

I think most people here would tell you that Texas at 150k is still kinda bad since you only have a 42% chance at BL.


Isn't that better than any other T15-T20?

User avatar
trebekismyhero
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:25 pm

libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo


Texas would probably be 150k, if that makes a difference

I think most people here would tell you that Texas at 150k is still kinda bad since you only have a 42% chance at BL.


Isn't that better than any other T15-T20?


Yes, but that means if you are not one of the 42%, you'll likely be making less than $70k. Which is hard to pay back $150k plus interest

User avatar
poptart123
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby poptart123 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:28 pm

You should be getting full/significant money from UHLC/SMU/Baylor. Are those options--depending on career goals of course. Have you tried to leverage them with UT? This assuming you want to work in Texas.

BigZuck
Posts: 11716
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Neither option is justifiable. Sit out a couple more years and retake again, or find better options.

Why do you want to do big law?

libby
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby libby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

poptart123 wrote:You should be getting full/significant money from UHLC/SMU/Baylor. Are those options--depending on career goals of course. Have you tried to leverage them with UT? This assuming you want to work in Texas.


Tbh, if I'm going to stay in Texas, I'd like to attend UT. I'd be paying a little less if I went to BU or GWU (they gave me about 1/3 $$). But I've already ruled those schools out for the most part. I'm down to UT and UVA even if it will be more $.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby PrezRand » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo


Texas would probably be 150k, if that makes a difference

I think most people here would tell you that Texas at 150k is still kinda bad since you only have a 42% chance at BL.


Isn't that better than any other T15-T20?


Yes, but that means if you are not one of the 42%, you'll likely be making less than $70k. Which is hard to pay back $150k plus interest

That's not true. Only like 10% get small law.

libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo


Texas would probably be 150k, if that makes a difference

I think most people here would tell you that Texas at 150k is still kinda bad since you only have a 42% chance at BL.


Isn't that better than any other T15-T20?

I mean I guess but that doesn't really help you.

User avatar
trebekismyhero
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm

PrezRand wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
libby wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Texas at 200k is hard to justify imo and UVA is indefensible imo


Texas would probably be 150k, if that makes a difference

I think most people here would tell you that Texas at 150k is still kinda bad since you only have a 42% chance at BL.


Isn't that better than any other T15-T20?


Yes, but that means if you are not one of the 42%, you'll likely be making less than $70k. Which is hard to pay back $150k plus interest

That's not true. Only like 10% get small law.[/quote]

I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.

albanach
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby albanach » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.


Whereas with UVA there's a 70% chance of biglaw or federal clerkship probably leading to biglaw. A decent number of the remaining 30% are in biggov or self-selected into public service.

Is $300k servicable on biglaw, biggov (in case pslf goes away) or midlaw is the question? A lot of that will depend on OPs goals and lifestyle.

whysooseriousbiglaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:30 pm

albanach wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.


Whereas with UVA there's a 70% chance of biglaw or federal clerkship probably leading to biglaw. A decent number of the remaining 30% are in biggov or self-selected into public service.

Is $300k servicable on biglaw, biggov (in case pslf goes away) or midlaw is the question? A lot of that will depend on OPs goals and lifestyle.


It may be barely serviceable, but you're basically living paycheck to paycheck for years just to pay down the loan in biglaw. Good luck with that.

User avatar
SeewhathappensLarry
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 pm

whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.


Whereas with UVA there's a 70% chance of biglaw or federal clerkship probably leading to biglaw. A decent number of the remaining 30% are in biggov or self-selected into public service.

Is $300k servicable on biglaw, biggov (in case pslf goes away) or midlaw is the question? A lot of that will depend on OPs goals and lifestyle.


It may be barely serviceable, but you're basically living paycheck to paycheck for years just to pay down the loan in biglaw. Good luck with that.



If you do PAYE you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Of course, you'll end up paying possibly significantly more if you go on the longer-term plan but people do that.

whysooseriousbiglaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:47 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.


Whereas with UVA there's a 70% chance of biglaw or federal clerkship probably leading to biglaw. A decent number of the remaining 30% are in biggov or self-selected into public service.

Is $300k servicable on biglaw, biggov (in case pslf goes away) or midlaw is the question? A lot of that will depend on OPs goals and lifestyle.


It may be barely serviceable, but you're basically living paycheck to paycheck for years just to pay down the loan in biglaw. Good luck with that.



If you do PAYE you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Of course, you'll end up paying possibly significantly more if you go on the longer-term plan but people do that.


Wouldn't the tax bomb be insane?

User avatar
SeewhathappensLarry
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm

whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.


Whereas with UVA there's a 70% chance of biglaw or federal clerkship probably leading to biglaw. A decent number of the remaining 30% are in biggov or self-selected into public service.

Is $300k servicable on biglaw, biggov (in case pslf goes away) or midlaw is the question? A lot of that will depend on OPs goals and lifestyle.


It may be barely serviceable, but you're basically living paycheck to paycheck for years just to pay down the loan in biglaw. Good luck with that.



If you do PAYE you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Of course, you'll end up paying possibly significantly more if you go on the longer-term plan but people do that.


Wouldn't the tax bomb be insane?


Yeah I'm sure it would be enormous. Like I said, you'd be paying significantly more in the long run. But I'm pretty sure I would prefer to not live like a pauper for almost a decade and just pay more in the long run. All depends on your risk averseness.

whysooseriousbiglaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:53 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.


Whereas with UVA there's a 70% chance of biglaw or federal clerkship probably leading to biglaw. A decent number of the remaining 30% are in biggov or self-selected into public service.

Is $300k servicable on biglaw, biggov (in case pslf goes away) or midlaw is the question? A lot of that will depend on OPs goals and lifestyle.


It may be barely serviceable, but you're basically living paycheck to paycheck for years just to pay down the loan in biglaw. Good luck with that.



If you do PAYE you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Of course, you'll end up paying possibly significantly more if you go on the longer-term plan but people do that.


Wouldn't the tax bomb be insane?


Yeah I'm sure it would be enormous. Like I said, you'd be paying significantly more in the long run. But I'm pretty sure I would prefer to not live like a pauper for almost a decade and just pay more in the long run. All depends on your risk averseness.



I guess, but you'd have to save up for the tax bomb too....

User avatar
SeewhathappensLarry
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 am

Re: UVA (sticker) v. Texas (sticker/in-state)

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 pm

whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I really doubt the majority of those that aren't in big law are in mid-law making 100k since that is what the median for the whole law school is.


Whereas with UVA there's a 70% chance of biglaw or federal clerkship probably leading to biglaw. A decent number of the remaining 30% are in biggov or self-selected into public service.

Is $300k servicable on biglaw, biggov (in case pslf goes away) or midlaw is the question? A lot of that will depend on OPs goals and lifestyle.


It may be barely serviceable, but you're basically living paycheck to paycheck for years just to pay down the loan in biglaw. Good luck with that.



If you do PAYE you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Of course, you'll end up paying possibly significantly more if you go on the longer-term plan but people do that.


Wouldn't the tax bomb be insane?


Yeah I'm sure it would be enormous. Like I said, you'd be paying significantly more in the long run. But I'm pretty sure I would prefer to not live like a pauper for almost a decade and just pay more in the long run. All depends on your risk averseness.



I guess, but you'd have to save up for the tax bomb too....


I'm not saying it's ideal. Given OP's options I would wait a couple years and retake. But otherwise I would do PAYE




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: caic517, JoshLyman13, urbandictionary and 11 guests