Help me decide! BC vs OSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cmcgagh

New

Help me decide! BC vs OSU

Postby cmcgagh » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Right now mostly between OSU and BC but here are all my options:

-OSU, COA = 60k
-BC, COA= 160k
-Temple, COA= 93k
-Richmond, COA = 48k

I am from Baltimore and am looking to work in the Mid-Atlantic region upon graduation. Most of my financing (90%) will come from loans. I have strong ties to Baltimore, would love to work in DC but am open to (almost) any major city in the Mid-Atlantic. I am unsure of my exact career goals. I am open to BigLaw but not gunning for it. Perhaps would like to explore Real Estate law or development. My GPA is 3.69 and my LSAT scores are 162 & 163. I do not plan on taking the LSAT again. Please help me decide! Any insight anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Help me decide! BC vs OSU

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Assuming that OSU stands for Ohio State University, why is that even on your list for schools that will place you in the mid-Atlantic region?

You've indicated a wide interest in "real estate law"; is that where you actually see your career going? And when you say "open" to biglaw, please be aware that you have no chance at getting biglaw from any of these schools with the semi-exception of BC, which is too expensive for you to consider going at this point.

Since your regional ambitions seem pretty open, Richmond is probably your best bet of these choices (assuming that Richmond counts as a major city). If Richmond doesn't count as a major city, then none of the above: retake and reapply.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:03 pm

I'd go Richmond, with Temple second (use Richmond and OSU to negotiate Temple scholly)
I'd cross off BC because too expensive and OSU because makes absolutely no sense for regional preferences.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:04 pm

OSU is a strong regional school, but regional nonetheless. It's a great school if you want to work in OH (or to a lesser extent IN, KY, PA) but it's going to be tough trying to make the jump to the east coast.

That's way too much debt for BC - you would more or less require BL to pay it off and BL isn't a sure thing from BC.

DC is a competitive market to crack. If you want DC, you need to go to a T13, Georgetown or GW (the latter two options aren't entirely strong either).

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:05 pm

OSU won't get you back to the mid-Atlantic--you'll be stuck in Ohio. BC won't get you back to the mid-Atlantic--you'll be stuck in Boston (or New England). Temple won't get you back to the mid-Atlantic--you'll be stuck in Philly (or Eastern PA).

Only go to Richmond if you want to work in Richmond.

So, if you're, no shit, adamant against retaking (probably a terrible decision given your situation), then it sounds like you've bought yourself a decade or two in Central VA. If that's "mid-Atlantic", then enjoy. If not, retake/reapply.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:09 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote: Temple won't get you back to the mid-Atlantic--you'll be stuck in Philly (or Eastern PA).

Philly is the heart of the midatlantic, and I really doubt Baltimore is closed off to Temple grads who have ties and gun hard for summer internships there.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Rigo wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote: Temple won't get you back to the mid-Atlantic--you'll be stuck in Philly (or Eastern PA).

Philly is the heart of the midatlantic, and I really doubt Baltimore is closed off to Temple grads who have ties and gun hard for summer internships there.

Good to know. As a relative newcomer to the mid-Atlantic region, I thought that term was defined as MD/DC/Northern VA/DE. Didn't realize PA and Philly counted. Does southern NJ count too? My bad and thanks for the info.

In which case, I rescind my auto dismissal of Temple for geographic placement power reasons and revert to "it's too expensive for what it gives you". So, negotiate that COA down or go with Richmond.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:17 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Good to know. As a relative newcomer to the mid-Atlantic region, I thought that term was defined as MD/DC/Northern VA/DE. Didn't realize PA and Philly counted. Does southern NJ count too? My bad and thanks for the info.
In which case, I rescind my auto dismissal of Temple for geographic placement power reasons and revert to "it's too expensive for what it gives you". So, negotiate that COA down or go with Richmond.

My understanding of midatlantic is DC to NYC.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:22 pm

How far off from a full ride are you at Temple? I think that's actually preferable if you can get the cost down.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 pm

It's concerning/funny that you picked the two worst options for the thread title though. Why tf were you leaning that way?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Rigo wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:Good to know. As a relative newcomer to the mid-Atlantic region, I thought that term was defined as MD/DC/Northern VA/DE. Didn't realize PA and Philly counted. Does southern NJ count too? My bad and thanks for the info.

Correct, mid-atlantic is DC to NYC, but I think most people also include the NoVa and the Eastern shore of VA in it too

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Correct, mid-atlantic is DC to NYC, but I think most people also include the NoVa and the Eastern shore of VA in it too

Nova is DC in my mind so yeah include that.
Eastern shore has no legal market so whatever. William and Mary is probably the regional go-to for Eastern Shore.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�