UIUC vs Chicago-Kent (free rides)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lmkb2020

New

UIUC vs Chicago-Kent (free rides)

Postby lmkb2020 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 am

Greetings. :D

Between merit-based scholarships, military benefits, and state grants, my cost of tuition at either institution will be covered. However, I would appreciate some insight from anyone willing to share their input. I am hearing convincing arguments for and against both institutions and I find myself at a fork in the road.

I am not yet entirely sold on a specific field of law but my current interest is to practice as a public interest, employment, or criminal lawyer. Again, all subject to change. I am from Chicago and hope to practice law here in the future. My current ties to the legal world are limited to a 6-month internship at a criminal/personal injury firm during undergrad.

I am under the impression that UIUC's greater prestige would offer a wider variety of employment options than Chicago-Kent. I wouldn't mind living in Champaign during my studies. But does UIUC being a Tier 1 school make up for the fact that it is hours away from the region I hope to gain employment? Would a Tier 2 Chicago-Kent graduate have superior employment opportunities in Chicago since they would have three years of regional networking over a UIUC graduate? Am I overstating the significance between the two tiers?

Any constructive thoughts are welcome. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

***retake is not an option

Kinch08

Bronze

Re: UIUC vs Chicago-Kent (free rides)

Postby Kinch08 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:31 am

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I know enough to say that you should definitely, definitely choose UIUC, ten times out of ten. It's just a much better school, and it's much better respected by Chicago firms, and that matters a lot when it comes to Law School. Way more than being in Chicago so that you can "network" or whatever does.

UIUC has slid a long way in the USNWR rankings, because of a scandal where the dean or someone faked a bunch of LSAT scores, but its job placement numbers in the Chicago market are top-25 easily. Only 30% of Kent students are employed at graduation.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:04 am

As long as you don't want to have the option of working at a big law firm in Chicago, go to UIUC.

Focus on the job outcomes, not the school tier. UIUC graduates are much more likely to be lawyers than Kent graduates.

snowball2

Bronze

Postby snowball2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am

UIUC will give you greater flexibility, all the more so if you do well.

lmkb2020

New

Postby lmkb2020 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 am

Nice, these responses are what my gut was telling me, but I guess I just needed the reassurance. Thanks again for all the help! TLS has been an invaluable tool throughout the admissions process. I've been lurking for about a year now, ha.

carasrook

Bronze

Postby carasrook » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 am

It was tempting for me to try and justify going somewhere like Loyola/Kent because it's in the city. I want to practice family, immigration, or employment law so our goals are pretty similar. Living far from the city will be a big sacrifice for me, but the employment #s at the schools in Chicago other than NU/Chicago are just...abysmal. So, I 100% vote UIUC! Especially considering it'd be free. Good luck, and maybe see you at UIUC!

lmkb2020

New

Postby lmkb2020 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:05 pm

carasrook wrote:It was tempting for me to try and justify going somewhere like Loyola/Kent because it's in the city. I want to practice family, immigration, or employment law so our goals are pretty similar. Living far from the city will be a big sacrifice for me, but the employment #s at the schools in Chicago other than NU/Chicago are just...abysmal. So, I 100% vote UIUC! Especially considering it'd be free. Good luck, and maybe see you at UIUC!

I agree! It would also be much easier on the pockets (for me, at least) to crash with family and attend school in the city, but I imagine this is the prime time for sacrifices. If UIUC has better employment prospects, so be it! Best of luck to you as well!

snowball2

Bronze

Postby snowball2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 pm

lmkb2020 wrote:
carasrook wrote:It was tempting for me to try and justify going somewhere like Loyola/Kent because it's in the city. I want to practice family, immigration, or employment law so our goals are pretty similar. Living far from the city will be a big sacrifice for me, but the employment #s at the schools in Chicago other than NU/Chicago are just...abysmal. So, I 100% vote UIUC! Especially considering it'd be free. Good luck, and maybe see you at UIUC!

I agree! It would also be much easier on the pockets (for me, at least) to crash with family and attend school in the city, but I imagine this is the prime time for sacrifices. If UIUC has better employment prospects, so be it! Best of luck to you as well!

Look at it this way, for 1L, a time when you should be fully focused on school, you'll be glad you're in a cornfield with a whole lot less distraction. By OCI you will hopefully land a 2L SA position in Chicago and by 3L you can do a full semester in Chicago. You won't really be sacrificing much of anything.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:25 pm

snowball2 wrote:
lmkb2020 wrote:

Look at it this way, for 1L, a time when you should be fully focused on school, you'll be glad you're in a cornfield with a whole lot less distraction. By OCI you will hopefully land a 2L SA position in Chicago and by 3L you can do a full semester in Chicago. You won't really be sacrificing much of anything.

Can you do a full year or only a full semester? I could have sworn it was a year but can't be bothered to look right now. either way, good point to bring up to OP!

carasrook

Bronze

Postby carasrook » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 pm

guybourdin wrote:
snowball2 wrote:
lmkb2020 wrote:

Can you do a full year or only a full semester? I could have sworn it was a year but can't be bothered to look right now. either way, good point to bring up to OP!

from my understanding it's just your last semester!

edit: well, hm, according to this it looks like it could be a full year, but i swear i read somewhere that it was only one semester: https://law.illinois.edu/academics/the-chicago-program/

ALSO, during my tour the tour guide told me it's not uncommon for people to schedule classes early in the week and spend friday-weekend in Chicago

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:59 pm

UIUC. Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School�