Weighing options with a low GPA mediocre LSAT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Greenteachurro

Silver

Weighing options with a low GPA mediocre LSAT

Postby Greenteachurro » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:46 pm

So I have a 166 LSAT and a 3.3 GPA (with a dramatic upward trend, if that even matters) and I have taken the LSAT 3 times(160,164,166). I have offers from schools in the 20ish range that would put my total debt at around 90k, after doing some soul searching and research I think I'm going to decide to wait two years and take the LSAT a 4th time. There is a T20 school nearby that I have gotten into with a decent scholarship, but I don't think that its BL numbers warrant going there.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

1.) Is there a way to boost my GPA, now that I have graduated, or am I mostly SOL on that front?
2.) I think even if I break into the low to mid 170's, and get into the lower t-14, my debt burden will significantly higher probably closer to 150k to 200k, so would it still be worth it at that price point to go to one of the splitter-friendly schools?
3.) I've put a decent amount of time into the LSAT. I was PT-ing very consistently at like 171-173 over my last 10 tests, so at this point would it even be worth it to take the time and study for the LSAT again?

TLDR: is it worth the 2 year gap between UG and LS for a shot a lower T-14 and like 60-100k extra debt?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Weighing options with a low GPA mediocre LSAT

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:So I have a 166 LSAT and a 3.3 GPA (with a dramatic upward trend, if that even matters) and I have taken the LSAT 3 times(160,164,166). I have offers from schools in the 20ish range that would put my total debt at around 90k, after doing some soul searching and research I think I'm going to decide to wait two years and take the LSAT a 4th time. There is a T20 school nearby that I have gotten into with a decent scholarship, but I don't think that its BL numbers warrant going there.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

1.) Is there a way to boost my GPA, now that I have graduated, or am I mostly SOL on that front?
2.) I think even if I break into the low to mid 170's, and get into the lower t-14, my debt burden will significantly higher probably closer to 150k to 200k, so would it still be worth it at that price point to go to one of the splitter-friendly schools?
3.) I've put a decent amount of time into the LSAT. I was PT-ing very consistently at like 171-173 over my last 10 tests, so at this point would it even be worth it to take the time and study for the LSAT again?

TLDR: is it worth the 2 year gap between UG and LS for a shot a lower T-14 and like 60-100k extra debt?

not sure about question 1, I believe that you are SOL.

For question 2, that is totally a personal decision. You are right, even if you get into the 170s you probably will not get a ton of money from the t-14. You need to decide what your career goals are and what debt level you are comfortable at.

If you're big law or bust, wait and retake. If you think you would be happy being a lawyer and making significantly less, go to a T1 school in the state you want to practice on a good scholarship.

floatie

Silver

Re: Weighing options with a low GPA mediocre LSAT

Postby floatie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 pm

No, your LSAC GPA is everything up until your first bachelor's degree, so even if you take extra classes it won't count.

Going against the grain here, but I don't think you should wait 2 years and retake. Not everyone can break a 170, and that's okay. It sounds like for those 3 takes, you put in a lot of effort, and high 160s might just be where you max out. How productive will those 2 years be for you, because of course you won't be spending all of that just studying for the LSAT. If you are biglaw or bust and decide to take the extra 2 years and try again, you most likely will not be getting a scholarship and you will more or less have to do biglaw in order to pay off your loans. Just do a search on TLS - being trapped in that situation is more likely to make someone miserable than not.

Now, if you don't feel like you put your all into those 3 takes, then yes, I would retake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�