Is UC Irvine's "commitment to public service" actually make any difference? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UCIPI

New

Is UC Irvine's "commitment to public service" actually make any difference?

Post by UCIPI » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 am

PI oriented. Have a good scholarship from UCI. I have seen on their website and in other places that the school is strongly committed to public service/public interest. I am interested to know if this is just a marketing angle or if it actually has any substance behind it. Basically, for PI law, is Irvine the same as all other schools or does it perform slightly better than its peers due to this so called "commitment".

cavalier1138

Re: Is UC Irvine's "commitment to public service" actually make any difference?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:23 am

Look at their job placement statistics and their LRAP program. That's much more valuable than a stated commitment.

mudiverse

Bronze

Post by mudiverse » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:30 am

--
Last edited by mudiverse on Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 am

mudiverse wrote:92% of students did pro bono work...seems like its heavily emphasized at the school.
I was just coming to say this.

In addition, a lot of students participate in PILF, which funds PI summer work, and you can look at employment placements as well.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 pm

mudiverse wrote:92% of students did pro bono work...seems like its heavily emphasized at the school.
100% of CLS students did pro bono work because it's required to graduate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Nebby wrote:
Because that's a state requirement that will soon be implemented in CA. More impressively is when you break it down by hours. Most people did over 150 hours.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:52 pm

To answer your question, OP, UCI's PI placement is the same as its peers.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:39 pm

zot1 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Because that's a state requirement that will soon be implemented in CA. More impressively is when you break it down by hours. Most people did over 150 hours.
Since pretty much every clinic in every school qualifies as pro bono, I have to agree with the "not impressed" camp.

Look at the school's job placement, not their pro bono rate. That's a much better indication of their PI leanings, and as Nebby said, they're on a par with their peers.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Literally every law school talks about 'commitment to public service' either in their mission statement or somewhere on their website. It's a nice talking point to shill out when law schools want to look like they care about impacting change in the world, and helping marginalized groups, so people think they're not just churning out corporate lawyers who want to spend their whole lives dealing with rich people problems lol.

I'm not saying it's necessarily insincere, but these law schools know how to market. Look at the cold, hard numbers of students getting into PI instead of the carefully orchestrated PR photos/articles that every law school places on their website/pamphlets.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:57 pm

tinyvessels wrote:Literally every law school talks about 'commitment to public service' either in their mission statement or somewhere on their website. It's a nice talking point to shill out when law schools want to look like they care about impacting change in the world, and helping marginalized groups, so people think they're not just churning out corporate lawyers who want to spend their whole lives dealing with rich people problems lol.

I'm not saying it's necessarily insincere, but these law schools know how to market. Look at the cold, hard numbers of students getting into PI instead of the carefully orchestrated PR photos/articles that every law school places on their website/pamphlets.
Worst part is that outside of the T14 schools aren't even doing that

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Nebby wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:Literally every law school talks about 'commitment to public service' either in their mission statement or somewhere on their website. It's a nice talking point to shill out when law schools want to look like they care about impacting change in the world, and helping marginalized groups, so people think they're not just churning out corporate lawyers who want to spend their whole lives dealing with rich people problems lol.

Worst part is that outside of the T14 schools aren't even doing that
LMAO...You didn't lie.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Since pretty much every clinic in every school qualifies as pro bono, I have to agree with the "not impressed" camp.

Look at the school's job placement, not their pro bono rate. That's a much better indication of their PI leanings, and as Nebby said, they're on a par with their peers.
I mean, that's fine. But at UCI everyone has to do a required clinic. So those numbers you're seeing are in addition to clinic.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 pm

UCI makes a commitment to public interest for sure, but this shouldn't make you think that you won't find very biglaw oriented people at the school. I'd say the classes are about 50/50 split between private practice oriented and PI (I'm including government in here too).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 pm

How do they fund summer PI learning opportunities?

Do the clinics give you marketable experience and connections?

How good is their loan forgiveness program? Really go into the details on this.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:31 pm

landshoes wrote:How do they fund summer PI learning opportunities?

Do the clinics give you marketable experience and connections?

How good is their loan forgiveness program? Really go into the details on this.
I mean, all of this stuff is easily accessible on their page. But since I'm in a good mood, I'll tell you about it.

UCI has a student-run program called PILF. The students fund raise through the year to give students summer grants. Often times the school pays for most of it since the students don't always meet their goals. I believe the grant is 4K for the summer. I don't know if it's changed.

The clinics are very unique so it depends. I can't speak as to all of them, but I know people who've argued before the ninth circuit court in the environmental clinic, know people who've travel to China (on school funds) for the international law clinic, people who've gotten big settlements in the economics clinic (it has another name but for the love of God I can't remember it. But again, this is online). Also, new clinics opened up since I left. You can also do an alternative placement in lieu of your clinic but it has to be approved by the clinic director.

The lrap is for public service/interest positions. You have to be on a repayment plan (IBR, PAYE, etc.). 100% if making less than 60k. If you're making less than 80k there's a prorated percentage for what you make after 60k. It covers you for 10 years. I think you have three years to get into the program. If you'd like more specs, the website has more info. If you asked me, UCB's still better. But this ain't too bad either.

FWIW my class' gift was a one year post-grad public interest fellowship to someone in the next class. I don't know how much more commitment you'd like.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:38 pm

You don't actually need to tell me about it, I'm telling OP what they should be looking for (on UCI's page or from their admissions office). I have no interest in PI work, but was considering working as a PD and took that into account when looking for law schools. These are the questions I asked myself about every law school I was accepted to, and they seem to form a good basis for comparison between schools.
Last edited by landshoes on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bokampers

New

Post by bokampers » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Nebby wrote:

Worst part is that outside of the T14 T13 schools aren't even doing that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:01 pm

landshoes wrote:You don't actually need to tell me about it, I'm telling OP what they should be looking for (on UCI's page or from their admissions office). I have no interest in PI work, but was considering working as a PD and took that into account when looking for law schools. These are the questions I asked myself about every law school I was accepted to, and they seem to form a good basis for comparison between schools.
Oh that's fair. And yes, they are really good questions.

ktbee

New

Post by ktbee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Current UCI student here.
I'd also add to the convo that when you're assessing "commitment to public service" claims from schools, that you ask the students how the school facilitates their pro bono program. So, for example, UCI has a full-time pro bono coordinator whose job it is to help students find and participate in pro bono. That's huge.
And just to add my little plug/personal opinion. UCI is very committed. Even those that want big law are involved in some form of pro bono because they really have something for everyone.
Finally, I wouldn't rely solely on the stats. School culture can't be fully captured by the numbers. Reach out to students and faculty and ask about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”