Berkeley vs Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bettyboopydoop

New

Berkeley vs Penn

Postby bettyboopydoop » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:18 am

Hey friends,

I was super excited about Berkeley because I want to stay in CA (originally from SoCal). But the new USNWR rankings have tripped me up big time. I want to do public policy, not Big Law (at this point, anyway); I'm now concerned as to why Berkeley dropped so much and if its lower ranking will effect job prospects....

(haven't heard back from Columbia or NYU)

thoughts?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Berkeley vs Penn

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:50 am

bettyboopydoop wrote:Hey friends,

I was super excited about Berkeley because I want to stay in CA (originally from SoCal). But the new USNWR rankings have tripped me up big time. I want to do public policy, not Big Law (at this point, anyway); I'm now concerned as to why Berkeley dropped so much and if its lower ranking will effect job prospects....

The USNWR rankings have no impact on job prospects. None.

Penn is a great school if you want big law in NYC. If you want to stay in California, and if the COA is roughly the same, it makes little sense to pick Penn over Berkeley. That's especially true if you're interested in public interest law.

(I'm assuming, by the way, that you're interested in PI law. But if you meant what you typed—if you're really only interested in "public policy"—then you should strongly consider not going to law school at all.)

tinyvessels

Bronze

Postby tinyvessels » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:56 am

Pretty much agree with the above comment on school choice. Also, did you mean public service/public interest or public policy? If the first option, then great. If you want to go into public policy though, have you checked into getting an MPP, master's in public policy instead? I believe those would be more helpful if you want to go down the public policy route since it is more specialized. Also, the MPP programs are usually two years, and are probably a lot more heavily subsidized since it is grad school.

globetrotter659

New

Postby globetrotter659 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 am

If you want Big Fed in DC then Penn is probably better because you are only 2 hours away from D.C. by train. But you are just interested in PI in general (and want to stay in CA) then Berkeley is better. PI employers are not going to care about USNWR rankings where a T13 school drops a few places. They probably won't even be aware of the drop.

armc808

Bronze

Postby armc808 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Berkeley. Penn is a fantastic school but its graduates more often than not do big law and in New York/east coast. If you already know that you want to end up practicing in California, then Berkeley is far and away the better choice of the two. As an adviser told me previously: 20 years ago (when she went to law school), you started networking when you were finding a job in your 2L; today, you start networking the moment you set foot on campus for orientation. Having those California connections at your fingertips in the Bay Area will be invaluable.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?