Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arhaz475

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby arhaz475 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I'm currently in the process of deciding between Albany Law, which offered me a $38k scholarship (must remain in top 50% for it to be renewed) and Brooklyn Law, which offered me a $20k scholarship (must remain in top 80% for it to be renewed). I already have a Masters degree in criminal justice and aim to pursue a career in criminal law (perhaps prosecution/public defense or even working for a private firm). I'm not sure which one is the better option when factoring in employment opportunities and student debt. I know Brooklyn is technically a better school, but I also know that Albany controls it's market and Brooklyn has to compete with several other great NYC schools. If anyone could provide some advice about which option might make more sense for me, that would be greatly appreciated!

katthegreat11

Bronze
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby katthegreat11 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:11 pm

.
Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby UVA2B » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Where are you from, and where do you see yourself being an ADA/PD? Wanting to get into criminal law, you'll need to pick school based on being able to network/intern heavily in those offices. Also, consider the COA in total at these schools, cause they're going to tie you down with debt for the long haul when you consider the salary you'll make as an ADA/PD.

Need more info about your goals and costs before any prudent advice can be given.

arhaz475

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby arhaz475 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I'm from New Jersey so ultimately I'd want to move back here or as close to NJ as possible. Thats kind of why I prefer Brooklyn, but then again like you said, I know student debt is going to be a big factor too so I don't know if I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I went that route.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm

You should have applied to Rutgers/ Seton Hall if you wanted NJ. However between those two options, I'd say Brooklyn because due to section stacking you probably have less than a 50% chance of keeping that Albany scholly. In that scenario Albany would end up costing you more(for worse employment stats in an area that seems less desirable to you )Most people generally avoid stips like the plague but 80% is about as reasonable as they can get. I'd negotiate with Brooklyn using the Albany scholly and try to get more money out of them.

arhaz475

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby arhaz475 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:You should have applied to Rutgers/ Seton Hall if you wanted NJ. However between those two options, I'd say Brooklyn because due to section stacking you probably have less than a 50% chance of keeping that Albany scholly. In that scenario Albany would end up costing you more(for worse employment stats in an area that seems less desirable to you )Most people generally avoid stips like the plague but 80% is about as reasonable as they can get. I'd negotiate with Brooklyn using the Albany scholly and try to get more money out of them.


I actually did my first year of law already but was academically dismissed. RU has a 3 year waiting period for dismissals to reapply, unlike most schools which have a 2 year waiting period. I was in a totally different frame of mind (kind of pushed into law school by my parents right after undergrad and dealing with other life issues) and since then retook my LSAT and did a lot better and got the Masters so I was kind of ready to just try to go back now and not wait for RU. If I do well this time around, I might try to transfer to RU eventually though. And yeah, I'm definitely going to try to negotiate. I also got a full ride to Hofstra and some other places too so I'm gonna try to use that for leverage.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:25 am

Not Albany with that stipulation. Negotiate that away.
I honestly don't recommend either. Did you get rejected from Seton Hall? That makes way more sense for NJ if not Rutgers.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:09 am

arhaz475 wrote:I actually did my first year of law already but was academically dismissed. RU has a 3 year waiting period for dismissals to reapply, unlike most schools which have a 2 year waiting period. I was in a totally different frame of mind (kind of pushed into law school by my parents right after undergrad and dealing with other life issues) and since then retook my LSAT and did a lot better and got the Masters so I was kind of ready to just try to go back now and not wait for RU. If I do well this time around, I might try to transfer to RU eventually though. And yeah, I'm definitely going to try to negotiate. I also got a full ride to Hofstra and some other places too so I'm gonna try to use that for leverage.


And you didn't think that was worth mentioning up front?

Neither of these options are particularly good if you want to work in a competitive DA or PD office like Manhattan, and you absolutely cannot take Albany's scholarship with that stipulation. Additionally, you can't go to any law school with the goal of transferring, and Rutgers should never be your transfer goal.

What are your current numbers?

arhaz475

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby arhaz475 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
arhaz475 wrote:I actually did my first year of law already but was academically dismissed. RU has a 3 year waiting period for dismissals to reapply, unlike most schools which have a 2 year waiting period. I was in a totally different frame of mind (kind of pushed into law school by my parents right after undergrad and dealing with other life issues) and since then retook my LSAT and did a lot better and got the Masters so I was kind of ready to just try to go back now and not wait for RU. If I do well this time around, I might try to transfer to RU eventually though. And yeah, I'm definitely going to try to negotiate. I also got a full ride to Hofstra and some other places too so I'm gonna try to use that for leverage.


And you didn't think that was worth mentioning up front?

Neither of these options are particularly good if you want to work in a competitive DA or PD office like Manhattan, and you absolutely cannot take Albany's scholarship with that stipulation. Additionally, you can't go to any law school with the goal of transferring, and Rutgers should never be your transfer goal.

What are your current numbers?


I'm not sure how relevant it will be if I get good grades and pass the bar but okay?

I scored a 157 this time around and have nearly a 3.9 in my Masters program. Definitely don't need to be working in Manhattan either. I'd just like to be in the tri-state area if possible. Never said I'm set on transferring, just an option I'd like to look at in the future so I can be close to home.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 am

arhaz475 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
arhaz475 wrote:I actually did my first year of law already but was academically dismissed. RU has a 3 year waiting period for dismissals to reapply, unlike most schools which have a 2 year waiting period. I was in a totally different frame of mind (kind of pushed into law school by my parents right after undergrad and dealing with other life issues) and since then retook my LSAT and did a lot better and got the Masters so I was kind of ready to just try to go back now and not wait for RU. If I do well this time around, I might try to transfer to RU eventually though. And yeah, I'm definitely going to try to negotiate. I also got a full ride to Hofstra and some other places too so I'm gonna try to use that for leverage.


And you didn't think that was worth mentioning up front?

Neither of these options are particularly good if you want to work in a competitive DA or PD office like Manhattan, and you absolutely cannot take Albany's scholarship with that stipulation. Additionally, you can't go to any law school with the goal of transferring, and Rutgers should never be your transfer goal.

What are your current numbers?


I'm not sure how relevant it will be if I get good grades and pass the bar but okay?

I scored a 157 this time around and have nearly a 3.9 in my Masters program. Definitely don't need to be working in Manhattan either. I'd just like to be in the tri-state area if possible. Never said I'm set on transferring, just an option I'd like to look at in the future so I can be close to home.


Masters program gap doesn't matter for law school admissions. How many times have you taken the LSAT? You can improve on a 157. Retake, reapply next year and go to school in NJ.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Albany Law or Brooklyn ?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:25 am

arhaz475 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
arhaz475 wrote:I actually did my first year of law already but was academically dismissed. RU has a 3 year waiting period for dismissals to reapply, unlike most schools which have a 2 year waiting period. I was in a totally different frame of mind (kind of pushed into law school by my parents right after undergrad and dealing with other life issues) and since then retook my LSAT and did a lot better and got the Masters so I was kind of ready to just try to go back now and not wait for RU. If I do well this time around, I might try to transfer to RU eventually though. And yeah, I'm definitely going to try to negotiate. I also got a full ride to Hofstra and some other places too so I'm gonna try to use that for leverage.


And you didn't think that was worth mentioning up front?

Neither of these options are particularly good if you want to work in a competitive DA or PD office like Manhattan, and you absolutely cannot take Albany's scholarship with that stipulation. Additionally, you can't go to any law school with the goal of transferring, and Rutgers should never be your transfer goal.

What are your current numbers?


I'm not sure how relevant it will be if I get good grades and pass the bar but okay?

I scored a 157 this time around and have nearly a 3.9 in my Masters program. Definitely don't need to be working in Manhattan either. I'd just like to be in the tri-state area if possible. Never said I'm set on transferring, just an option I'd like to look at in the future so I can be close to home.


The fact that you've already been through 1L and are confident in your ability to "get good grades" is a red flag. And as mentioned, your graduate GPA is meaningless; what's your undergraduate GPA?

The reason this is all relevant is that it affects what your options are and whether or not you have negotiating power with these schools, neither of which are viable options for a decent career. But above all, you cannot take a scholarship with a stipulation; that is what scam schools do to fuck over their incoming students.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests