Should I Go to Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
altai

New

Should I Go to Law School?

Postby altai » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Excuse me if this is an inappropriate post or has been discussed ad nauseam - I have spent some time reading these forums but usually finish more confused than I started...

The major contender at this point (aka the only school that has offered me substantial $$) is

Michigan w/ $105k (unconditional)

I will try to negotiate with Berkeley (send them an email tomorrow) to get some $$ (at this point they have not offered me anything)

If I go to Michigan (or Berkeley will budge and offer a comparable amount) then I do not have to take out loans - my family can pay the difference (though I am fully expected to repay them, obviously this is a completely different ballgame than 8% interest).

I am not deadset or committed to the law. I worked for three years (since UG) in biological research and felt that a master's or PhD was not the path for me. I applied to law school mostly to "see what would happen." Since then, I have spent much time reading the endless articles about "Why Lawyering Sucks." Most of my family works in law. I know I wouldn't last more than a few years in BigLaw - but I think I could last a few years (for the $ and experience). Non-profit work seems too much of a gamble to bet on. I think my personality and life history will pose a problem for BigFed.

This leaves the traditional holy grail of in-house, State/Local jobs, and non-traditional legal employment. (Please let me know if I'm missing something!)

-If you're going to work in a corporation, why do it as a lawyer? If you can find an industry you like where upward mobility is possible, would having a law degree (and some years of experience) be that much of a leg up vs. starting entry-level and hustling?

-I live in a state and metropolitan area where the state and city attorneys have large departments that handle incredibly cool cases. BUT this seems like a very small market to aim for.

Sorry for the essay. I realize I am in a very fortunate position. Still, I am having intensely ambivalent feelings about going to school. If anyone has any advice or perspective, please share. Thank you.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Should I Go to Law School?

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm

altai wrote:I am not deadset or committed to the law.
I am having intensely ambivalent feelings about going to school.

Don't go. It will always be there if you change your mind, but don't go if you're feeling like this.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Probably would say NO with all your personal hesitations. COA, expected ROI is one thing but you gotta actually live your life.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Go to business school instead.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:37 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Go to business school instead.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:10 am

Nope.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�