Head south for $$$?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jstanhope14

New

Head south for $$$?

Postby jstanhope14 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Hey guys,

I'm attend a northeastern liberal arts college and an looking to apply to law school in the fall. I want to do biglaw for a number of years to save up some money before settling into something more sustainable. NYC, Boston, DC etc. are mad expensive cities to live in, so I've semi-seriously considered applying to UT and gunning for Dallas-Ft. Worth area biglaw. No ties to Texas whatsoever. Other than UT I'm eyeing schools in the CCN range.

Any tips / advice / guidance? Really have no geographic preference at this point, though eventually I'd like to settle down with a family in the New England region. It would be a lot easier to do with some $$$, though.

FWIW 180k in Dallas gives more than double the buying power of 180k NYC. Rent for a 2 bedroom is as low as $800-$900.

Npret

Silver

Re: Head south for $$$?

Postby Npret » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:10 pm

You want to go to Texas because the rent is cheaper?

What are your stats?

Do you want to be a lawyer or is this all about the money?

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Npret wrote:You want to go to Texas because the rent is cheaper?

What are your stats?

3.7 and diagnostic test was 164. I'll be 170ish range pretty easily I think. Want to be a lawyer for lawyer's sake but might as well make as much money while doing it.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:35 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:
Npret wrote:You want to go to Texas because the rent is cheaper?

What are your stats?

3.7 and diagnostic test was 164. I'll be 170ish range pretty easily I think. Want to be a lawyer for lawyer's sake but might as well make as much money while doing it.

So is your question how to get a job in Texas if you have no ties?

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Biglaw is far from a guarantee at UT. Although I find your reasoning a bit suspect, I'd aim for Duke/UVA. COL is cheap there and it gives you a much better chance at biglaw. Those schools place people in Texas and will have better cache when you move back northeast one day.

Easterbork

Bronze

Postby Easterbork » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:04 pm

You will be best off going to the best school that gives you decent money. Good grades gives you a shot at Texas from an elite school with no ties. You'd be better off with a very likely shot at big law in general and a chance of Texas than putting all your eggs in the Texas basket assuming you do get a 17X which would allow you to get decent money at a T13.

If you end up taking a year off or two to get work exp, improve lsat, or whatever, you could work in TX to build ties.

The bottom line is that the best grades at the best school will give you the most latitude. I wouldn't worry about going to duke over Chicago all else equal because a poster thinks duke goes further in the south.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:12 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:Want to be a lawyer for lawyer's sake...

What on earth does that mean?

TragicBronson

New

Postby TragicBronson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Whatever grades you think might make you competitive for biglaw from UT, subtract 20% from that for Dallas if not from there. It's the harder to get out of Dallas and Houston for outsiders. Will need to come up with a better reason to be in Texas than the one you've given for OCI.

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

You know what it means. Stop trolling. In response to "do you want to be a lawyer or just make money?" it clearly means that I want to be a lawyer because I expect that I'll find value and enjoyment inherent in the profession.

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Easterbork wrote:You will be best off going to the best school that gives you decent money. Good grades gives you a shot at Texas from an elite school with no ties. You'd be better off with a very likely shot at big law in general and a chance of Texas than putting all your eggs in the Texas basket assuming you do get a 17X which would allow you to get decent money at a T13.

If you end up taking a year off or two to get work exp, improve lsat, or whatever, you could work in TX to build ties.

The bottom line is that the best grades at the best school will give you the most latitude. I wouldn't worry about going to duke over Chicago all else equal because a poster thinks duke goes further in the south.

Thanks for the advice

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:29 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You know what it means. Stop trolling. In response to "do you want to be a lawyer or just make money?" it clearly means that I want to be a lawyer because I expect that I'll find value and enjoyment inherent in the profession.

I really don't know what you mean by that. Do you even have a vague idea of what kind of law you'd like to practice outside of the lucrative kind?

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 am

Lol @ people who think this profession is just a meal ticket. Good luck with your plan bro; seems legit

Return to “Choosing a Law School�