Take the money, prestige, or retake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Deleted
Last edited by RamTitan on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 11 times in total.

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby floatie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:01 pm

RamTitan wrote:or live in a big city with great public transit like Chicago, NYC, or DC.


Don't pick DC then (the metro here is beyond atrocious), but I digress... :lol:

I'd pick WashU. Having $0 in debt would mean you wouldn't have to do biglaw, and they're pretty good in Chicago. If you were willing to hustle you could get to some other cities, too. If you want to try out other cities, you can always do a summer internship elsewhere, and Wash U has its own DC program if that's something you're interested in.

Texas for $0 would also be a defensible choice but they're a regional powerhouse, which is great if you want to be in Texas but it doesn't sound like you do.

You could retake if you want, but frankly I think you already have some pretty good options here, given that you're not biglaw or bust.

goldenbear2020
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I'd choose WashU and aim for Chicago, since you don't want to work in Texas or LA.

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Well, having savings with which to finance law school doesn't make COA zero.

I think if you really want biglaw then it's worth retaking. I had pretty much your exact numbers, retook and improved my score. Ended up with a bunch of acceptances from CCN down, and scholarship offers just about everywhere ranging from 60k-105k. Pretty happy about that retake.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1189
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:43 pm

floatie wrote:
RamTitan wrote:or live in a big city with great public transit like Chicago, NYC, or DC.


Don't pick DC then (the metro here is beyond atrocious), but I digress... :lol:

I'd pick WashU. Having $0 in debt would mean you wouldn't have to do biglaw, and they're pretty good in Chicago. If you were willing to hustle you could get to some other cities, too. If you want to try out other cities, you can always do a summer internship elsewhere, and Wash U has its own DC program if that's something you're interested in.

Texas for $0 would also be a defensible choice but they're a regional powerhouse, which is great if you want to be in Texas but it doesn't sound like you do.

You could retake if you want, but frankly I think you already have some pretty good options here, given that you're not biglaw or bust.


Read my mind. DC's metro is by far the worst of any first-world country. In fact, i've actually seen third world metro systems that are much better. Once you get past the "oh, it's clean and it looks like Gotham", it's absolute garbage.

But yes, I too would also pick WashU :)

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby guynourmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:52 pm

I think Texas probably gets you your first stated goal better than WUSTL probably.

WUSTL-> Chicago seems more difficult than
goldenbear2020 wrote:aim for Chicago

and
floatie wrote: they're pretty good in Chicago

make it sound. I may well be wrong about that, but that is just the impression I've received on this board.

Whereas Texas has 3 metro areas over 2mm (+ Austin!) and gives you a better shot at biglaw. Depends on what the price difference is, though, as you don't say: not taking out loans doesn't mean you aren't paying for it!

You could retake, but you don't have to.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:11 pm

floatie wrote:
RamTitan wrote:or live in a big city with great public transit like Chicago, NYC, or DC.


Don't pick DC then (the metro here is beyond atrocious), but I digress... :lol:

I'd pick WashU. Having $0 in debt would mean you wouldn't have to do biglaw, and they're pretty good in Chicago. If you were willing to hustle you could get to some other cities, too. If you want to try out other cities, you can always do a summer internship elsewhere, and Wash U has its own DC program if that's something you're interested in.

Texas for $0 would also be a defensible choice but they're a regional powerhouse, which is great if you want to be in Texas but it doesn't sound like you do.

You could retake if you want, but frankly I think you already have some pretty good options here, given that you're not biglaw or bust.

I'm not necessarily opposed to living in Texas; in fact, I like the idea of it. The problem is, I don't know that with certainty and have barely ever been there, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to lateral back to my home market if need be.

WashU does seem like the safe option in this case though. With that said, I worry about their 15% unemployment score and 20% small firm score at graduation.
Last edited by RamTitan on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Clemenceau wrote:Well, having savings with which to finance law school doesn't make COA zero.

I think if you really want biglaw then it's worth retaking. I had pretty much your exact numbers, retook and improved my score. Ended up with a bunch of acceptances from CCN down, and scholarship offers just about everywhere ranging from 60k-105k. Pretty happy about that retake.

My savings combined with the given scholarships would make my COA zero.

I am extremely tempted to retake after that practice test. Granted, it was a retake, but I hadn't seen that test in 6 months so...

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 pm

guybourdin wrote:I think Texas probably gets you your first stated goal better than WUSTL probably.

WUSTL-> Chicago seems more difficult than
goldenbear2020 wrote:aim for Chicago

and
floatie wrote: they're pretty good in Chicago

make it sound. I may well be wrong about that, but that is just the impression I've received on this board.

Whereas Texas has 3 metro areas over 2mm (+ Austin!) and gives you a better shot at biglaw. Depends on what the price difference is, though, as you don't say: not taking out loans doesn't mean you aren't paying for it!

You could retake, but you don't have to.

My top three options seem to be NU, Texas, and WashU.

WashU is safe in the sense that I wouldn't have any debt, but the 15% underemployment score and the 20% small firm score scare me.
NU is great and I'd love to live and practice in Chicago, but debt and the possibility of not getting big law would make me an anxious wreck. Hopefully they give me some money.
Texas also seems like a good option, but like I said above, I don't have much experience with the state, and I bet Dallas/Houston traffic would make go insane once I'm out of school. In addition, I've heard it's almost impossible for entry-level lawyers to get big law in Austin, and there are few big law jobs in San Antonio.

Please don't quote!

User avatar
Ronan
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby Ronan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:22 pm

You should retake then...try to get NU with a big scholly. It's within reach.

Npret
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby Npret » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Well, having savings with which to finance law school doesn't make COA zero.

I think if you really want biglaw then it's worth retaking. I had pretty much your exact numbers, retook and improved my score. Ended up with a bunch of acceptances from CCN down, and scholarship offers just about everywhere ranging from 60k-105k. Pretty happy about that retake.

My savings combined with the given scholarships would make my COA zero.

I am extremely tempted to retake after that practice test. Granted, it was a retake, but I hadn't seen that test in 6 months so...


No your COA isn't zero. You just won't have loans. Any money you have to pay (that isn't covered by scholarship) counts towards your Cost to Attend the school. That's what Cost of Attendance means.

I had no debt when I graduated but I used family money for tuition that wasn't covered by scholarship. The money I spent is my cost of attendance. Law school wasn't free I just had to spend money that had been put aside and saved for my education. (Also tuition was lower then and I lived at home.)

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Npret wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Well, having savings with which to finance law school doesn't make COA zero.

I think if you really want biglaw then it's worth retaking. I had pretty much your exact numbers, retook and improved my score. Ended up with a bunch of acceptances from CCN down, and scholarship offers just about everywhere ranging from 60k-105k. Pretty happy about that retake.

My savings combined with the given scholarships would make my COA zero.

I am extremely tempted to retake after that practice test. Granted, it was a retake, but I hadn't seen that test in 6 months so...


No your COA isn't zero. You just won't have loans. Any money you have to pay (that isn't covered by scholarship) counts towards your Cost to Attend the school. That's what Cost of Attendance means.

I had no debt when I graduated but I used family money for tuition that wasn't covered by scholarship. The money I spent is my cost of attendance. Law school wasn't free I just had to spend money that had been put aside and saved for my education. (Also tuition was lower then and I lived at home.)

Ahhh my bad! WashU would be about $55,000 cheaper than Texas.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Ronan wrote:You should retake then...try to get NU with a big scholly. It's within reach.

+1

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby floatie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:32 pm

I'd just caution you to think very carefully about Texas if you choose to go that route. Liking the "idea" of living somewhere and actually living there (possibly for a substantial amount of time) are two very, very different things. I hope you're planning on visiting these places?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15401
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby Rigo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:16 am

I don't think you'll get nada at NU or Georgetown with those stats, especially with the negotiating leverage you have.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4521
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby proteinshake » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 am

Rigo wrote:I don't think you'll get nada at NU or Georgetown with those stats, especially with the negotiating leverage you have.

agreed. you're 75th LSAT for NU and your GPA isn't low.

Isn't Duke your top choice? I would send them a LOCI stating that they are (if they are). I think you have a good chance of coming off the WL with those stats.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 6918
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:46 am

I would retake unless you get significant dollars at NU. Worst case scenario is that you don't go to law school for a year, which honestly is a best case scenario.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 pm

floatie wrote:I'd just caution you to think very carefully about Texas if you choose to go that route. Liking the "idea" of living somewhere and actually living there (possibly for a substantial amount of time) are two very, very different things. I hope you're planning on visiting these places?

Completely agree, which is why I'm not super comfortable about going to Texas Law. I'm almost more tempted to visit Dallas or Houston since in all likelihood that's where I'd end up living if I graduated from Texas Law.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Rigo wrote:I don't think you'll get nada at NU or Georgetown with those stats, especially with the negotiating leverage you have.

Awesome, that's great to hear! I definitely hope so....

Have a friend with a 3.85 and a 169 get nothing from Gtown though. Maybe they just didn't think she'd go there in the first place?

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Rigo wrote:I don't think you'll get nada at NU or Georgetown with those stats, especially with the negotiating leverage you have.

agreed. you're 75th LSAT for NU and your GPA isn't low.

Isn't Duke your top choice? I would send them a LOCI stating that they are (if they are). I think you have a good chance of coming off the WL with those stats.

I just want to be able to afford to attend the best school I get into (so what everyone else wants I guess lol).

But yes, I have sent a few LOCIs.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:44 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:I would retake unless you get significant dollars at NU. Worst case scenario is that you don't go to law school for a year, which honestly is a best case scenario.

Definitely thinking more and more about this. If admissions officers are reading this, they can save me a lot of anguish and just increase my scholarship :P

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby PrezRand » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:06 am

I feel like this decision would be a lot easier if you decide where you want to work.

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:36 am

PrezRand wrote:I feel like this decision would be a lot easier if you decide where you want to work.

And if you don't know, then you shouldn't make law school that adventure. Move around a bit before you decide to go. There are plenty of 30k-40k jobs for recent grads in many cities. Slum it if you need to. Then you'll have a better idea of goals- geographic and otherwise.

BigZuck
Posts: 11668
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:41 am

lymenheimer wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I feel like this decision would be a lot easier if you decide where you want to work.

And if you don't know, then you shouldn't make law school that adventure. Move around a bit before you decide to go. There are plenty of 30k-40k jobs for recent grads in many cities. Slum it if you need to. Then you'll have a better idea of goals- geographic and otherwise.

I agree. Move to Houston or whatever for a year and retake.

If you go the UT then the only realistic markets are Houston and Dallas, especially for big law. San Antonio doesn't really have a legal market and I would proceed as if Austin doesn't either. Also am I reading between the lines here that you don't drive? If so I'd probably avoid the state of Texas altogether. You could make it work without driving but that's an uphill battle IMO.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Postby RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:49 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I feel like this decision would be a lot easier if you decide where you want to work.

And if you don't know, then you shouldn't make law school that adventure. Move around a bit before you decide to go. There are plenty of 30k-40k jobs for recent grads in many cities. Slum it if you need to. Then you'll have a better idea of goals- geographic and otherwise.

Part of the reason why I'd like to go to a t-13 is so that way I won't have to be locked in geographically :lol:

I think right now, my preference is live in a big city with a great metro system while having the ability to go back home if need be. I do like the desert and southwest US a lot, but it doesn't seem like there are schools which place there that would also allow me the option of going back home.
Last edited by RamTitan on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests