Take the money, prestige, or retake? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RamTitan

Silver

Re: Take the money, prestige, or retake?

Post by RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I feel like this decision would be a lot easier if you decide where you want to work.
And if you don't know, then you shouldn't make law school that adventure. Move around a bit before you decide to go. There are plenty of 30k-40k jobs for recent grads in many cities. Slum it if you need to. Then you'll have a better idea of goals- geographic and otherwise.
I agree. Move to Houston or whatever for a year and retake.

If you go the UT then the only realistic markets are Houston and Dallas, especially for big law. San Antonio doesn't really have a legal market and I would proceed as if Austin doesn't either. Also am I reading between the lines here that you don't drive? If so I'd probably avoid the state of Texas altogether. You could make it work without driving but that's an uphill battle IMO.
I do drive. But I really hate traffic. And while St. Louis is a fairly large metro area, its traffic obviously doesn't compare to Houston/Dallas or other bigger cities, and if I'm getting pissed at my commutes as of right now....you get the picture haha.

Big fan of taking trains. Studied in Paris for a semester and loved their metro system. I'd like the ability to be able to walk a few blocks and just jump on a train.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Btw, all things being equal, is Texas worth $55,000 more than WashU?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Just live near the school wherever you are and you won't have to deal with traffic.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:11 pm

RamTitan wrote:Btw, all things being equal, is Texas worth $55,000 more than WashU?
I find it odd that TX is 55k more expensive. Is rent in St.Louis that cheap?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:17 pm

PrezRand wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Btw, all things being equal, is Texas worth $55,000 more than WashU?
He got a larger scholly at WUSTL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Rigo wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Misread his Texas statement. I thought he said the cost of attending was zero

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:37 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Rigo wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Misread his Texas statement. I thought he said the cost of attending was zero
Yeah, I misunderstood COA lol. I'll edit my original post to reflect that.

But yes, STL is a dirt cheap city to live in.

Edit - and based off the prices listed on their websites, COA difference would be $50k

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Don't move to Texas if you hate traffic

Seems like you want a lot of stuff (cake, eating it too, etc.). I'm not sure there is really a realistic outcome possible here, I'd just start figuring out exactly what your biggest priorities are and then go from there.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:Don't move to Texas if you hate traffic

Seems like you want a lot of stuff (cake, eating it too, etc.). I'm not sure there is really a realistic outcome possible here, I'd just start figuring out exactly what your biggest priorities are and then go from there.
Yeah, this thread is helping me realize that. For me, order of importance goes:

1. Job outcome; big law/mid law/in-house versus not getting forced into small law/unemployed
2. As little debt as possible
3. Location; city with good metro system with the possibility of going back home (the desert can wait lol)

Off this, NU with a scholarship would obviously be the best outcome. But if they don't come through with money, then it becomes a lot harder of a decision to make.

It does seem though that WashU weighs out Texas, unless Texas's extra 10-15% who get big law is worth the extra cost (to me).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Also, would it be worth applying to Illinois? 20-25% get big law, and based off my numbers I should get a full tuition scholarship.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:23 pm

RamTitan wrote:Also, would it be worth applying to Illinois? 20-25% get big law, and based off my numbers I should get a full tuition scholarship.
I guess it can't hurt, but I don't really see how this would be preferential to WUSTL.
It doesn't check off any of your living preferences either.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:17 pm

I haven't seen "retake" enough in this thread yet for my liking. I think you could get a very solid offer from a t14 with another point or two. Combine that with your savings and you'd be in a great position. Washu isn't a great option for biglaw and frankly neither is UT. The difference between being at a school that places 35-45% in biglaw/fc vs. 65-75% shouldn't be understated.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Rigo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Also, would it be worth applying to Illinois? 20-25% get big law, and based off my numbers I should get a full tuition scholarship.
I guess it can't hurt, but I don't really see how this would be preferential to WUSTL.
It doesn't check off any of your living preferences either.
Yeah, nvm. Was thinking about Chicago/STL big law, but WashU would probably still be the better route

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Clemenceau wrote:I haven't seen "retake" enough in this thread yet for my liking. I think you could get a very solid offer from a t14 with another point or two. Combine that with your savings and you'd be in a great position. Washu isn't a great option for biglaw and frankly neither is UT. The difference between being at a school that places 35-45% in biglaw/fc vs. 65-75% shouldn't be understated.
PMed

In addition, I still need to hear back from Vanderbilt and NYU. NYU is a waitlist at best, and I'm sure it'd be sticker if I got in. Vandy would be a great option, but since it's been such a long time since I've heard anything, I feel doubtful about my chances there.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 am

Clemenceau wrote:I haven't seen "retake" enough in this thread yet for my liking. I think you could get a very solid offer from a t14 with another point or two. Combine that with your savings and you'd be in a great position. Washu isn't a great option for biglaw and frankly neither is UT. The difference between being at a school that places 35-45% in biglaw/fc vs. 65-75% shouldn't be understated.
Um excuse me that's one of the Top 14 schools in the country you're slandering mister

#hookem

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:08 am

Personally I think (and this maybe controversial) no matter which option you do that you should use a combo of Savings and Loans and not just completely drain your savings. This is a regret of mine that I am graduating without any money to my name just to keep my debt a fairly marginal level lower. Liquidity is important and student loans have some borrower friendly terms.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 am

star fox wrote:Personally I think (and this maybe controversial) no matter which option you do that you should use a combo of Savings and Loans and not just completely drain your savings. This is a regret of mine that I am graduating without any money to my name just to keep my debt a fairly marginal level lower. Liquidity is important and student loans have some borrower friendly terms.
Sorry to steal your thunder OP, but on this note, how much of savings would you recommend keeping if somebody has several thousand? 10K or so at graduation, more, less?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Milksteak

New

Post by Milksteak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 am

Def retake. Wouldn't want to end up in "low-level" PI for god sake.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 am

RamTitan wrote:
Georgetown – have not heard back about financial/merit aid, but I’m guessing sticker. Have heard a lot of bad things about the school though, so I’m wary.
I'm not recommending Georgetown given your options unless they offer up a lot of money, but I think the school gets a lot of undeserved grief. I had a great experience- both educationally and career-wise.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:57 am

poptart123 wrote:
star fox wrote:Personally I think (and this maybe controversial) no matter which option you do that you should use a combo of Savings and Loans and not just completely drain your savings. This is a regret of mine that I am graduating without any money to my name just to keep my debt a fairly marginal level lower. Liquidity is important and student loans have some borrower friendly terms.
Sorry to steal your thunder OP, but on this note, how much of savings would you recommend keeping if somebody has several thousand? 10K or so at graduation, more, less?
$10K + 50 % of whatever remaining savings you started with at point 0.

But that's just something I made up on the spot. Ask yourself - what keeps you up in the middle of the night, the thought of owing money or the thought of not having enough money to pay your rent? That's ultimately where you'll come out on this spectrum. Personally for me, the "worst case scenario" at point 0 is having to scrap by just to beg for a fast food job, at which point I wouldn't care how much student loans I have, since I wouldn't be paying anything towards them anyways. As a 0L I was more focused on debt than I think I should have been.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 am

I didn't even think about this tbh....going to have do some digging/thinking on this, but the insight is a welcome one

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

Milksteak wrote:Def retake. Wouldn't want to end up in "low-level" PI for god sake.
I literally lol at that comment.

Nothing against public defenders in rural Missouri or downtown St. Louis as I understand it''s a vital job, but I don't think I could cut it as one

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

nealric wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Georgetown – have not heard back about financial/merit aid, but I’m guessing sticker. Have heard a lot of bad things about the school though, so I’m wary.
I'm not recommending Georgetown given your options unless they offer up a lot of money, but I think the school gets a lot of undeserved grief. I had a great experience- both educationally and career-wise.
I feel ya. If Gtown did offer me money, I would definitely consider.

Milksteak

New

Post by Milksteak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:04 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Milksteak wrote:Def retake. Wouldn't want to end up in "low-level" PI for god sake.

Nothing against public defenders in rural Missouri or downtown St. Louis as I understand it''s a vital job, but I don't think I could cut it as one
That is totally fine. Using the phrase "low-level" to describe public defenders is still shitty.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Milksteak wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

That is totally fine. Using the phrase "low-level" to describe public defenders is still shitty.
I agree, which is why I tried to make up for it by noting that it is a vital job in my post above. Sorry if I upset you or anyone else with my initial comment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”