Decision help-details listed

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school would you choose? (based on information below)

Boston College
82%
Boston University
No votes
Fordham
9%
George Washington
No votes
William & Mary
9%
Albany Law
No votes
Wait & Pray for WLs
No votes

Total votes: 11

lcsslily

New

Decision help-details listed

Postby lcsslily » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Hello, I have been putting off my final decision as I have not yet heard back from all the schools I applied to, but it seems I need to start to face the facts. I am from upstate New York and am interested in BigLaw/Corporate Law. I would ultimately like to practice in the Northeast. So far I have not tried to negotiate any scholarships, so they are all listed as the baseline merit scholarships offered with acceptance. Below I have listed my scholarships/COA for each school, approximate debt for 3 years, and my main pros/cons of each.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Boston College-
Scholarship-$87,000/3yrs
COA-$60,000
~Debt-$93,000

-Older facilities, does not seem to have the reputation of BU, but has better employment stats

Boston University-
Scholarship-$60,000/3yrs (hoping for need based as well)
COA-$62,000
~Debt-$126,000

-New facilities and great name recognition, however, it is in the middle of the undergrad campus/city and employment stats are lower than one would expect

Fordham-
Scholarship-$90,000/3yrs
COA-$74,000
~Debt-$132,000

-I am not sure I want to go to school in NYC, but it is close to home for me

George Washington-
Scholarship-$75,000/3yrs
COA-$74,000
~Debt-$147,000

-Haven't done too much research on GW as it is in DC and Gov is not my objective

William & Mary-
Scholarship-$66,000
COA-$50,000
~Debt-$84,000

-Really liked the feel of the school when I visited, however, it is the farthest away and although employment stats are good, I am still worried about securing a job in the Northeast

Albany Law-
Scholarship-Full Tuition
COA-Would have available housing
~Debt- None

-Do not really want to attend Albany Law, but no debt is enticing

I am also on a few waitlists (Chicago, NU, Michigan, and UPenn). UPenn would definitely be my top choice, however, if I do get off the waitlist I have to assume I would be paying full sticker, which I am not sure would be logical.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Decision help-details listed

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08 pm

RIght now I would go with BC if I were you

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:26 pm

BC or retake/reapply depending on your numbers

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Doesn't BC have a better reputation than BU? You should take BC either way

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:44 am

BC

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 am

guybourdin wrote:Doesn't BC have a better reputation than BU? You should take BC either way

Yeah OP I have never heard of BU having a better rep (unless you are just looking at the silly rankings) than BC. If anything, I've heard the opposite. But they're peer schools and BC both has higher niglw placement and is costing you substantially less.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:16 am

I'd probably look at retaking/reapplying because your only stated goal is biglaw. Even BU and BC give you a less than 50% chance of getting a biglaw job at graduation.

Between these schools, BC is probably the best choice. Also, just stop thinking about the quality of the facilities and the perceived name recognition. Look at job stats and only job stats. And if biglaw is your goal, don't just look at how many practicing attorneys the school turns out.

lcsslily

New

Postby lcsslily » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks for the tips everyone! As far as the BU having a better reputation that BC, that came from a previous conversation where some pointed out they thought BC was better for undergrad, but BU was often thought of as a better school for law. It appears that is not the case and I do appreciate the insight.

I do understand retaking the test would give me much better options/opportunities, but at this point I am a KJD and I prefer not to take a year off as it will most likely turn into 10 years off and never going into law-which is my goal.

basketofbread

New

Postby basketofbread » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 am

lcsslily wrote:Thanks for the tips everyone! As far as the BU having a better reputation that BC, that came from a previous conversation where some pointed out they thought BC was better for undergrad, but BU was often thought of as a better school for law. It appears that is not the case and I do appreciate the insight.

I do understand retaking the test would give me much better options/opportunities, but at this point I am a KJD and I prefer not to take a year off as it will most likely turn into 10 years off and never going into law-which is my goal.

If it's your goal then it will still be your goal after one year. I'm not telling you that you should necessarily retake, but the idea that taking one year to enhance your chances of achieving your goal will eliminate your desire to pursue it should give you pause.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:55 am

Yeah, if not going this year means you'll never go, you don't really need to go.

lcsslily

New

Postby lcsslily » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:04 am

It's not that I wouldn't want to go to law school. But I am a finance major and in order to continue on the path I am right now, would lead to obtaining my CFP-which would require time as well. Basically, I feel I am at a crossroad where I have to pick a path and I truly want to study law and would rather not waste any more time pursuing a career in an area that is not ultimately where I want to end up.

I hope that kind of explains the situation I am in a little better. I do understand not going if its just a whim and that is not what I was trying to say. I just feel that if I do not take the opportunity to attend law school now, I will be forced to continue within the field of finance and obtain my CFP which is not where I want to end up and would simply be a distraction from my goal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�