Mich v NYU - PI focus

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
airwrecka

Silver

Mich v NYU - PI focus

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:43 pm

I haven't definitively narrowed it down between NYU and Mich, but they are my top contenders at this point and I'm driving myself crazy with pros and cons, so I'd like to hear what others think.

Based on my calculations, my COA for each school after scholarships/other resources:
NYU: ~65k
Mich: ~17k

These numbers are undoubtedly off a little, because I don't know for sure if/how much COL will be in each place (I'm married, so a lot of things depend on my spouse, where he gets a job and how much his salary is, etc).

Other relevant info:
-I am very committed to pursuing PI work, specifically in the area of immigrant/refugee rights and/or international human rights. Strongly opposed to BL.
-I am from the Midwest (currently living in Minneapolis), as is my husband, and both our families live here. We have never lived outside of the Midwest. I am not set on coming back after law school (I'm open to living almost anywhere within reason), but my husband is much more concerned with being close to family. So there is a strong possibility we will want to move back here after school.
-My husband currently has a really good job in Minneapolis, but it's very unlikely he can transfer if we move because there are not really offices elsewhere. He works in innovation and has worked at two major corporations, so anywhere with big business will probably provide opportunities for him.
-We have a dog, who will be coming with us (non-negotiable), so we need to be able to find an apartment he can live in (he's considered "large").
-Because I'm married, I would like to avoid moving during summers for jobs/internships as much as possible. My husband would not be able to follow (due to his job), so we'd have to do long distance and pay for 2 apartments if I were to leave for a summer.

Obviously Michigan is the cheaper option. And both my husband and I love the idea of it because the area would be very similar to where live currently and we'd be able to maintain our style of life much more easily than if we lived in NYC. Also, better to have a dog in Ann Arbor than NYC, I'd think. The cons of Michigan are that there are not nearly as many job opportunities, both for my husband and also for myself during summers. Also, Mich doesn't seem to have the same PI focus that NYU has (not that it's non-existent by any means).

NYU has been my top choice for a long time because it really sells (to me at least) that it's a great place for PI students. It's higher ranked than Mich (although I doubt this matters much), and their LRAP is much better. I love the idea of living somewhere totally different than I do now (NYC =/= Minneapolis in the slightest :lol:). I have the mindset that if I don't leave the Midwest now, I probably never will :? I would think there are lots of opportunities for both my husband and myself to find jobs/experiences that fit our interests. I also think that maybe I can convince my husband to stay on the east coast after law school if I were to get a job at an organization doing work I love after graduation. He said he's open to the idea of not living in the Midwest, but he can't say until he's tried it.

Is it an obvious choice either way, or will it come down to which place we like better (fwiw, I will be visiting both schools later this month)? Is it an obvious choice of cost? Are there other factors I should be taking into consideration but I'm missing?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

michlaw

Bronze

Re: Mich v NYU - PI focus

Postby michlaw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:56 pm

NYU...given your interests.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 pm

I think either way you go, they're both good and defensible choices. Both schools have a national reach and great PI prospects - so first and foremost, congratulations!

I believe both schools offer stipends for public interest summer internships, right? So in that case you wouldn't really be paying for two apartments over the summer (although you probably wouldn't be making any money either). I'd also like to suggest that 10 weeks (the length of a typical summer internship) isn't a terribly long time to be long-distance. And given how busy you'll both be that time will fly by, and knowing that it's a temporary separation will make it much easier. You're also correct that NYC is not a great place for a big dog, and the pet fees would add to already-atrocious housing costs. Michigan actually does have a pretty strong PI focus (a lot of people consider it one of the most PI-focused t13 schools).'

From everything you've described, it seems like overall Michigan might be a better pick for you, but I would revisit this question after you've both visited the schools. As a Midwesterner myself, adjusting to live in NYC might be a bit jarring, and it certainly isn't a city for everyone. If your spouse is hesitant about the idea of settling in NYC that could make for a miserable 3 years for him (and possibly for you, too). Some people will say that 3 years isn't a long time, but personally 3 years is quite a long time to be living somewhere you don't like, on top of the stress that law school brings.

Dreadhead168

New

Postby Dreadhead168 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:09 pm

michlaw wrote:NYU...given your interests.

Care to elaborate a little? I am in a similar boat as OP.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:11 pm

In your shoes I would take Michigan and not mess around with LRAP. The (admittedly few) people who I know in PI find LRAP to be kind of a pain.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:14 pm

NYU.

There is a significantly better percentage chance your spouse will get a substantial job with a substantial compensation package in NYC vs. Ann Arbor. There's also a significantly better chance you'll get summer internships in NYC vs. Ann Arbor thus increasing your odds of avoiding double rent.

These two factors combined make you one of the rare people for whom living in NYC might actually net-out cheaper than living in Ann Arbor.

The only factor against NYU is pooch "quality of life". Plenty of people keep dogs, even large dogs, in NYC. It might not be ideal but the idea of settling for an equally expensive COA, non-T6 school in order to cater to puppy-peccadillos seems ludicrous and laughable to me.

Go to NYU and enjoy your expanded career opportunities. Enjoy!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! :) I will be keeping it all in mind.

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
The only factor against NYU is pooch "quality of life". Plenty of people keep dogs, even large dogs, in NYC. It might not be ideal but the idea of settling for an equally expensive COA, non-T6 school in order to cater to puppy-peccadillos seems ludicrous and laughable to me.

Go to NYU and enjoy your much expanded career opportunities. Enjoy!

Haha yes, I would never base my decision on what is best for my dog (as much as I love him). Luckily for us, he is the laziest dog alive and is quite content to sleep most of the day curled up in a ball, so I doubt he cares much, quite honestly, where we live anywyay :P

And thank you!

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:21 pm

NYU. No question.

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
michlaw wrote:NYU...given your interests.

Care to elaborate a little? I am in a similar boat as OP.

NYU is cutting edge progressive. International law, immigration policy, actually on any issue. Michigan is in the Midwest. You will get the same high quality education and opportunities from both (given you don't want BL). Top notch. Both will prepare you well for PI. However NYU will make you a better warrior.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 pm

That COA at NYU seems unbeatable. You'll have all the summer opportunities you need and if your husband can't find a job in nyc he can't find a job anywhere. Lots of great things to say about Ann Arbor, but can't say either of those things.

gsy987

Bronze

Postby gsy987 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:55 pm

(PI'er at Michigan here!)

Honestly, I think you'd be fine either way. Michigan being cheaper vs. the slightly higher ranked (and better located school) strikes me as a wash...but NYU has a legit, world-renowned international law program. To me, that'd put it slightly ahead, given your interests.

Still, I'd highly recommend that you come to ASW at both schools and try to get a feel. If you like one significantly better than the other, that could be a tiebreaker too.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:01 pm

gsy987 wrote:(PI'er at Michigan here!)

Honestly, I think you'd be fine either way. Michigan being cheaper vs. the slightly higher ranked (and better located school) strikes me as a wash...but NYU has a legit, world-renowned international law program. To me, that'd put it slightly ahead, given your interests.

Still, I'd highly recommend that you come to ASW at both schools and try to get a feel. If you like one significantly better than the other, that could be a tiebreaker too.

Thanks for the input! I am planning to attend both ASWs (within one week of each other, so they'll be fresh in my mind!) at the end of March/beginning of April so hopefully that will help :)

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08 pm

I vote NYU but mostly because of the husband's job thing.

From your picture it looks like your dog is part pit, which maybe could be an issue with some apartment buildings (?) but I'm sure you could find one that would work.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 pm

NYU. The deciding factor was that your husband will have a much, much easier time finding a job in NYC. CLS stingy with scholarship money? As a PI CLS grad, I'm quite the homer, but in your position I don't think CLS is worth it unless the COA was the same as NYU.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:15 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:I vote NYU but mostly because of the husband's job thing.

From your picture it looks like your dog is part pit, which maybe could be an issue with some apartment buildings (?) but I'm sure you could find one that would work.

Yup, he's part pit. Trying not to stress about it, but I know it will make things more difficult.

Nebby wrote:NYU. The deciding factor was that your husband will have a much, much easier time finding a job in NYC. CLS stingy with scholarship money? As a PI CLS grad, I'm quite the homer, but in your position I don't think CLS is worth it unless the COA was the same as NYU.

Haven't gotten fin aid back from CLS yet, but I'm not expecting it to match NYU. (If it did, though, or even came close, CLS would definitely be on the table)

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:48 pm

airwrecka wrote:Trying not to stress about it, but I know it will make things more difficult.

It shouldn't make things more difficult. You'll be fine.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�